Buying high end stuff on Amazon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

northwestern

by northwestern

I'm thinking about buying the 3T aeronova on amazon.com. Bu I'm kinda skeptic because Amazon product control is basically non-existent.

Has anyone bought any high end handlebar, stems, wheels, etc. on amazon? Did any of them seem fake?

https://www.amazon.com/3T-Aeronova-Team ... B00NUOHUII

oldturd

by oldturd

I wouldnt hesitate to buy high end stuff through Amazon if I recognize the vendor. in this particular instance, if you pick the 42cm, Competitive Cyclist is the vendor who is selling and shipping. however, the 44cm just shows that amazon.com is distributing it so i would be a bit hesistant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

I wouldn’t unless it’s a known seller with an actual shop outside of Amazon. Riddled with fakes and they don’t seem to care.

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

the seller is Amazon.com though, not fulfilled by Amazon, which is where the fakes are,

ive had (UK Based) lots and lots of high end stuff off Amazon (Zipps, Ceramic Speed, High end SRAM & Shimano items) all legit, and some even with the UK distro shipping labels to Amazon warehouses on

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

guyc wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:52 pm
I wouldn’t unless it’s a known seller with an actual shop outside of Amazon. Riddled with fakes and they don’t seem to care.
Or scammers that buy from reputable 3rd party Amazon sellers that return counterfeit copies after keeping the real items, leading the next buyer receiving a knock off on a future sale.

northwestern

by northwestern

bremerradkurier wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 pm
guyc wrote:
Or scammers that buy from reputable 3rd party Amazon sellers that return counterfeit copies after keeping the real items, leading the next buyer receiving a knock off on a future sale.
That's an excellent point. No way can amazon warehouse workers spot the difference.

TonyM

by TonyM

bremerradkurier wrote:
guyc wrote:
Yepp!
I already received some items from Amazon that were definitely a return from other customers and I had to check all parts to make sure everything was there.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I’ve bought a couple things through Amazon, but only recognised vendors who had a stand alone brick and mortar store. It just ended up being cheaper to order from them through Amazon instead of directly.

As for your link, the name of the place makes me pause: ‘ships and sold from Focus Camera-same day shipping.’ As in, why is a camera store selling bike parts? That said, they have a high buyer feedback rating, and they do also have a physical storefront it seems. So could be they are simply eclectic.

bulls604

by bulls604

I just read about an article regarding fakes on Amazon so I'd be hesitant

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

The only bike parts I've bought through Amazon have been through sites that I'm already familiar with, IE: Niagra, Planet Cyclery, Competitave Cyclist, etc. I've seen too much on there that looks way to similar to Ali and ebay stuff that ships out of China.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

northwestern

by northwestern

I decided to buy an Easton EC70 from jensonUSA.

Leonardo

by Leonardo

Totally worth it!
You got me right! There's nothing left to say about it. I never get tired of cycling tour of britain 2018. I spend most of my time there. And that's what I'm doing right now.

northwestern

by northwestern

Leonardo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Totally worth it!
3T is better looking by far. But It's going to be covered in bar tape, so what's the point.

Also, I read on this forum that it's a nightmare to do the wiring, so the cables get messed up. Plus the aeronova's have that flaring at the end and I'm not sure if I'd like those.

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Checkout probikekit.uk or SigmaSports.uk

fordred

by fordred

northwestern wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:29 pm
Leonardo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Totally worth it!
3T is better looking by far. But It's going to be covered in bar tape, so what's the point.

Also, I read on this forum that it's a nightmare to do the wiring, so the cables get messed up. Plus the aeronova's have that flaring at the end and I'm not sure if I'd like those.
Don't buy 3T carbon bars man... the clamping area will look crushed after 1 use.
Some may say it's normal, but I won't be putting my weight, life and money on it.

viewtopic.php?t=145464

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com