Rotor Cranksets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

Does anyone understand the difference between the Rotor Aldhu and Vegast cranksets? I'm looking to update my old 3D+ crankset and am trying to work out (a) which is better and (b) whether there are any weight savings to be had by upgrading? The website is good on pictures, not so hot on actual detail...... thanks

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Why don't you mail Rotor and ask?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

I've tried that, waiting on a response

wingguy

by wingguy

Looks like the Vegast is going to be slightly heavier and cheaper than the Aldhu, maybe an OE option like the 3D30.

On the Rotor sure the Aldhu states 7055 aluminium for the arms and the Vegast doesn’t.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Probably like 3d+ is fully CNC-ed, the other one forged and CNC-ed like 3d. Also maybe like the other two made in different places...?

morganb

by morganb

It's looking like the Aldu is replacing the 3D+ and the Vegast the 3D30 as stated previously. I emailed rotor and Power2Max about them and it looks like the spider spline has changed so they won't be backwards compatible with older meters and spiders, but they are cross compatible with each other in terms of spindle interface and spiders.

themidge

by themidge

Well, there goes another high end crank manufacturer moving to proprietary chainrings :( .
Not that there's much choice in high end after market chainrings, but still.

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Well, there goes another high end crank manufacturer moving to proprietary chainrings :( .
Well in Rotor's case they only started making cranks so they could sell more Q-rings, so they're not going to be envisioning too many people wanting to run other rings on these :P

That said, if you get the spider instead of the direct mount rings it has the R9100 bolt pattern, so there should be a few other people making for that at least.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

themidge wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 pm
I don't have huge feelings either way, but I would guess there proprietary direct mounted systems offer more good than bad. Only one interface rather than 4/5, possibly stiffer (less separate parts) also looks a bit cleaner (my personal option)

In saying that, I've got a bunch of spider powermeters, so regular chainrings are pretty crucial for now.

themidge

by themidge

I'm sure the new rings are great, especially with the stiffer direct mount system, but I just think it's a bit inconvenient that aftermarket ones can't be fitted.
^^@wingguy, you're most definitely right, but they seemed to manage fine before, with the (now not so normal) 5 bolt pattern. :noidea:
I'm a little confused by the spider option, did they choose the 9100 pattern to keep the looks similar to the direct mount option? It would seem a little strange to make it shimano's (and no one else's) standard, even if you can get aftermarket rings with that pattern.

I think I'll manage with my 3D+'s and 'normal' rings for now :D .

wingguy

by wingguy

Probably a fair bit to do with looks - though I guess they were going to need 9100 compatible rings anyway and decided to make the latest and greatest crank and ring shape (slightly more oval) all in together with it.

Maybe that’s going to reduce the complexity of their SKUs and stockholding going forward. Assuming Shimano don’t create yet another unique pattern for 9200 in 12 months time :roll:

Thirdly, Shimano do claim the 4 Bolt pattern is stiffer than conventional 5 Bolt (supports the rings in a different place?) so if that’s true it makes sense to use it for better front shifting. I must say having just moved to Q with the spidering I was worried how the front shift would be, but it’s actually been brilliant. Shifting up onto the big might even be quicker and quieter than with Shimano rings :shock:

Finally (and cynically) of course it means that everyone who wants the new Aldhu needs the rings as well. I’m sure Rotor prefer to be selling the whole system each time instead of just arjms axle and spider.

Stueys

by Stueys

Thanks for the thoughts. Feedback from Rotor tallies, they are saying same chainrings and axle but the Aldhu uses better alloy and fully CNC'd to save weight. I'm pondering, looks like around 70g weight saving over my 3d+, plus it looks a lot nicer.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

70g weight saving ? I'm not sure, according to R2-bike, Aldhu axle is 99g, cranks (172,5) 355g and 52-36 oval spidering is 183g. If the spidering 46/30 is 144g (as advertised, I couldn't weight it), my 3D+ axle + cranks (170mm) is 429g (I weighted all together at 573g).
But the weight is just a part of the equation, Aldhu have more arguments :)

themidge

by themidge

I'm not sure about your weights to be honest, is the 3D+ weight including the lockrings? Mine is 471 in the same length, 429g seems beyond the realms of manufacturing tolerances. :noidea:

1415chris

by 1415chris

172.5 with 10mm alu specer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com