Gran Fondo Roadbike review - what's the fastest bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

http://granfondo-cycling.com/review-bes ... e-of-2018/

With a new "real world" approach - just let the bikes roll downhill. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Isn't it obvious?
The red one!!
Official cafe stop tester

peted76

by peted76

Beaver wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:40 pm
http://granfondo-cycling.com/review-bes ... e-of-2018/
With a new "real world" approach - just let the bikes roll downhill. :D
Seems legit.

LOL!

peted76

by peted76

Seriously though, GranFondo magazine is a cracking read!

If you've not read this magazine before, DO start at issue 1 and work your way through... their joy and passion really comes throgh in the writing and videos.
(..and it's free!)

kgt

by kgt

So Wilier Superleggera is a better bike than the Canyon Aeroad and way better than the Trek Emonda.
Cool!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! Yeah... and Lightweights are the biggest flop ever.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Which is as real as the Wilier example : )
Ah, and Corratec with LWs was faster than your Trek Emonda.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Exactly, just pointing out your propensity to quote review excerpts you like, and dismiss the ones you don’t. And who has an Emonda SLR? Those frames are simply too light for me and I wouldn’t feel confident descending on one. But I love the geometry. And if I were to ride a super light frame, I’d be picking the SLR simply because I would feel somewhat assured that it’s been thoroughly designed and tested likely a lot more thoroughly than some small boutique manufacturer, which just doesn’t have the resources to conduct those kinds of tests.
I actually liked the video in the above article... very Raphaesque, but fun to watch. On balance I think a lot of very good points were made in this article. Certainly better than the vast majority of magazine “reviews”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Calnago, why do you have to take everything so seriously ? : )

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Me? ... ha. Ok... I’ll try to be more funny in the future. :). Maybe things aren’t coming across so well over internet.

themidge

by themidge

I only skimmed over the review cos it was long and I was on my phone, but how can the Wilier Superleggera be considered the best value?
Let's see, it's not the:
-fastest
-lightest
-cheapest
-most versatile
-stiffest
-a good compromise of any of the above

The only thing it has going for it above the others is the ride quality (but only if you like steel) and the looks (I'm personally not a fan of that orange chrome, but I know many are.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Am I missing something. These guys did this test and every bike had different wheels and tires? WTF are these guys morons? A coasting test...with different tires...to decide what bike is best. This industry doesn't always seem to attract the brightest.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

silvalis

by silvalis

The wilier was faster because of that ramato paint obviously.
Chasse patate

spartan

by spartan

this mag is nice the Rapha of bike mags. very stylish but the testing protocol / conclusion is mickey mouse.

here is a example..
"High quality bearings – like the CeramicSpeed – reduce friction and make a bike noticeably smoother, more efficient and just faster. In this regard the Speedvagen Custom Road and the Specialized Tarmac stand out in our test field."
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

To me this mag is quite like Rapha. Nice pictures about biking as a lifestyle but that's it. Nothing more in the best case. In the worst case something stupid.