chinese titanium axles for speedplay

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Has anyone bought titanium axles off ebay from rockbros or J&L?

They seem too good to be true, because if they are decent then I'll buy a set of the cromoly pedals and upgrade the axles and bow ties with the added advantage or getting longer axles which suits me better anyway

Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search but couldnt find the answer
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I have J&L for Speedplay, no problems. very slighter longer than default but only a few millimetres.

I also know RyanH has J&L and he can put out many more watts than I can

ms6073

by ms6073

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:04 pm
Part of the reason it is hard to find threads on replacement spindles, may be due to Speedplay being so overly protective of their products and IP to the point that in the past the company threatened legal action against companies selling aftermarket replacement parts. That said, I recall there was a thread on J&L titanium spindles for other pedals in which couple posters mentioned less than optimal bearing life due to how the spindles were machined. Personally, I emailed Ward (Tispindle.com) and was able to purchase direct the narrow Ti spindles for the wife's Speedplay Zero pedals.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:47 pm
onemanpeloton wrote:
Part of the reason it is hard to find threads on replacement spindles, may be due to Speedplay being so overly protective of their products and IP to the point that in the past the company threatened legal action against companies selling aftermarket replacement parts. That said, I recall there was a thread on J&L titanium spindles for other pedals in which couple posters mentioned less than optimal bearing life due to how the spindles were machined. Personally, I emailed Ward (Tispindle.com) and was able to purchase direct the narrow Ti spindles for the wife's Speedplay Zero pedals.
thanks for that, good to know!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

"They seem too good to be true, . . ."
Being of Chinese origin it's true. I doubt they are real titanium alloy.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

FYI, this has been covered before:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145497&hilit=Spindles

2lo8

by 2lo8

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 pm
That's being a little paranoid. The bigger question is if it is a real scructural titanium alloy or just a "medical grade" one, and that's something you can't determine with a basic density test. There's also the question of machining quality. I bid on some cheap titanium spindles from the same seller, and oddly enough they were different lengths when no length option was offered.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

check6

by check6

As for me, given the critical nature of this part and what a failure looks like, I'll pay full price for the real thing. Still no guarantee, but it's about choices.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

I’d add titanium alloy isn’t the best material anyway for pedal spindles. If it was you’d see Shimano offering an optional Dura Ace pedal for an extra $150 with titanium spindles.

hannawald

by hannawald

Do the search and you will google something. i did it some time ago so i cant remember all the details, but i think these titanium spindles are ok, many use them.
not the same with shimano, their pedals have different construction so there is a unacceptable wear on the axle, if you use titanium. but speedplay is different story.

Attermann

by Attermann

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:41 am
I’d add titanium alloy isn’t the best material anyway for pedal spindles. If it was you’d see Shimano offering an optional Dura Ace pedal for an extra $150 with titanium spindles.
Carbon must be a bad material too in their eyes, they don’t make lots with that too

bahn

by bahn

ms6073 wrote:
onemanpeloton wrote:
Personally, I emailed Ward (Tispindle.com) and was able to purchase direct the narrow Ti spindles for the wife's Speedplay Zero pedals.
*This

I am UK based and have 3 pairs of standard spindles for Zeros. No problems since 5 years when I got the first. Very helpful and responsive and would recommend to anyone despite being more than J&L/rockbros ebay prices... and although I got delivery to hotel rooms on travel, or stateside friends, they should ship wherever.

I believe the weight limit exceeds that of the originals but I can't confirm that right now. I have been 80kg with 1450w 5 second power

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 pm
Thats why I ask people with genuine experience rather than jumping to uneducated guesses :wink:
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

stevec1975 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:01 pm
FYI, this has been covered before:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145497&hilit=Spindles
Thanks, couldn't find it when I searched!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

bahn wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 am
ms6073 wrote:
onemanpeloton wrote:
Personally, I emailed Ward (Tispindle.com) and was able to purchase direct the narrow Ti spindles for the wife's Speedplay Zero pedals.
*This

I am UK based and have 3 pairs of standard spindles for Zeros. No problems since 5 years when I got the first. Very helpful and responsive and would recommend to anyone despite being more than J&L/rockbros ebay prices... and although I got delivery to hotel rooms on travel, or stateside friends, they should ship wherever.

I believe the weight limit exceeds that of the originals but I can't confirm that right now. I have been 80kg with 1450w 5 second power
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm also in the UK. No speedplay axles listed on their website or online store now though
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL