Using a Shorter Stem Bolt?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PsyDoc

by PsyDoc

I've been a mostly a lurker here for a few years and am getting back to being a roadie after being hit by a car five years ago. Anyway, I am replacing my Ritchey stem bolts with titanium ones. The faceplate bolts are M5x16mm. The stem bolts are M5x18mm. I wasn't paying attention when I ordered them and I didn't notice that the M5x18mm did not come with a washer. What would be the concern, if any, to using the M5x16mm for the stem bolts as well? When torqued to 4nm, the orginal Ritchey stem bolts stick out a hair.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It will work but for maximum strength you need the 18mm length. This is especially true when you are replacing steel bolts with Ti bolts, since Ti bolts are half the strength of steel bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Whats the percentage of available threads that the titanium bolts thread into fully torqued? If it's nearly through I wouldn't worry. If we are talking 50% then that's way under what the stem manufacturer intended.

If you are a heavy guy that likes to drive over potholes and cobblestones like a tank then I would of course take extra precaution here.

/a

PsyDoc

by PsyDoc

I'm 65kg and don't torque the bars when riding. I thought I read somewhere that ti bolts are nearly as strong as steel bolts, until you get to the high-tensile steel bolts. Thank you for the replies.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

From an engineering standpoint, the first 3 threaded bear the vast majority of the load, so as long as you have 3+ threads engaged, you should be fine.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

darnellrm, thanks for the best answer in this thread. It looks like the others were just guessing.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

kode54

by kode54

i would opt for 6 turns on the bolt. on some of the failures i've had with stem bolts (mostly titanium) they would shear at the head of the bolt. and that's using a torque wrench to 5nm with carbon paste. bad bolt. ony happened twice on a 3T stem with supplied bolts.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

darnellrm

by darnellrm

kode54 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:09 pm
i would opt for 6 turns on the bolt. on some of the failures i've had with stem bolts (mostly titanium) they would shear at the head of the bolt. and that's using a torque wrench to 5nm with carbon paste. bad bolt. ony happened twice on a 3T stem with supplied bolts.
You have some kind of other issue going on ( bad bolts, bad torque wrench, etc ). Besides, if the bolt is going to shear at the head, what difference would it make how many turns you did on the bolt??

mattr

by mattr

darnellrm wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 pm
From an engineering standpoint, the first 3 threaded bear the vast majority of the load, so as long as you have 3+ threads engaged, you should be fine.
Yeah, i almost posted that and then deleted it, as its generally for decent threads in a suitable material (usually steel). Multiply tightened aluminium stems with a dubious level of quality and unknown tolerances and the risk of over (or under) tightening........... Makes me nervous.

(I've had a bolt pop out of a high quality stem with the aluminium threads still attached. And that was only tightened (barely) to spec. I'd only ridden the thing half a dozen times.)

darnellrm

by darnellrm

True, but you can't really make suggestions for sub-standard products. How about = "always make sure the screw goes all the way through and put a nut on the back side" ? :D

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

darnellrm wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 pm
Yes they do. And I've done hundreds of thread engagement calculations as an engineer for a large DOD company.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

mattr wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:35 pm
I've had a bolt pop out of a high quality stem with the aluminium threads still attached. And that was only tightened (barely) to spec. I'd only ridden the thing half a dozen times.
Sounds like a bad design (threads too short) or manufacturing defect. What do you think the reason was?

What stem was it?

For the OP I just'd like to add...

If a manufacturer wants to use a softer stem material or a material more prone to fatigue they'd better design the threaded part deeper.

A rule saying 3 threads is enough is a bit oversimplified.

If the stem is steel or something else solid then you don't need as many threads.

/a

mattr

by mattr

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:12 am
Sounds like a bad design (threads too short) or manufacturing defect. What do you think the reason was?

What stem was it?
Bontrager.
No idea why, the metal i picked out of the bolt threads was fully formed, almost like a helicoil.
darnellrm wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:53 pm
True, but you can't really make suggestions for sub-standard products. How about = "always make sure the screw goes all the way through and put a nut on the back side" ? :D
Yeah, but the 3 threads is only really applicable in certain, very specific and controlled cases. As soon as you move away from that, you start to have issues.

enzomavic

by enzomavic

No worry
It will work

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com