Changing gears under load.... Chain came off the front

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Zakalwe wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm
Hold on, DA chainrings? wtf dude
Yea, campy doesn't have anything for Quarq, the only campagnolo specific pm I could find were SRM (way out of budget), p2m (out of budget too at $1700), didn't want to go Garmin pedals.

The only thing that isn't Campy made is the DA rings and...well I guess the gxp bb and the crankarms, the Quarq itself is made specifically for DA chainrings...Dfour91
Chorus and Record chain I assumed were the same specs so I used the 'better' chain
Last edited by Boshk on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Campy front mech is designed to push the chain certain distances to hit campy designed pins and ramps on a campy chainring. Shimano design their pins and ramps differently

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:13 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 pm
Boshk wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am
Chorus 2015+, record chain, dura ace chainrings on Quarq pm
Mixing and matching will make it pretty much impossible to diagnose a problem. It could always be the mix that is the problem.

I don't get the whole shifting under load thing. When I was racing I found that the only times I needed to shift under load was when I lost concentration and was caught unprepared - never happened if I had my head in the game. Out of racing never - even on hammerfests on crazy rolling terrain. Can't imagine why I would take the risk, particularly on the front (rear less of an issue of course). There is one guy in one of my regular groups who seems to think shifting under load is just what you do. His bike is always jumping and jerking, and every once in a while he misses a shift, drops a chain, etc. PIA to be behind at any time - not a popular dude.
So much this..........I've been around a lot of guys that do this too. Even worse are the guys that try to shift while pedaling at about 5rpm. I always lessen the power when shifting. Only takes a second. It's not like you are losing ground/time, or will be dropped because of it. Smooth pedal stroke is King.
I do this, I try never to change gears whether its in the front or rear while under load and for sure never when I'm out of the saddle. I always lessen the power, pedal at constant cadence then shift.

I guess I got sucked into those promotional videos and people on forums stating how perfect their drivetrain is setup that they can shift anytime on any load, even out of the saddle on a full sprint and the shifting is flawless and crisp.

Trying to chase perfection on what I have and can afford. I know the best would be Super Record with SRM but can't afford that plus I get no warranty on SRM or P2M where I live.

Boshk

by Boshk

Zakalwe wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 am
Campy front mech is designed to push the chain certain distances to hit campy designed pins and ramps on a campy chainring. Shimano design their pins and ramps differently
Thanks Zakalwe, noted. Seems to work fine yesterday but as you said, they are technically different so if it drops it again, I'll consider selling off my Quarq and going pedal pm or Stages with my Chorus crankset

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Boshk wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:18 am

I guess I got sucked into those promotional videos and people on forums stating how perfect their drivetrain is setup that they can shift anytime on any load, even out of the saddle on a full sprint and the shifting is flawless and crisp.

Trying to chase perfection on what I have and can afford. I know the best would be Super Record with SRM but can't afford that plus I get no warranty on SRM or P2M where I live.
There is a middle ground. I can front shift at 400W, 500W, 600W, etc. so long as the RPMs are there...but again why would you want to? Front shifts are almost always anticipatory and not reactionary. They are crisp shifts most of the time except when the shift occurs where ramps/pins are missing. On a SRAM chainring like mine you can see the 6 ramp/pins and the the trouble spots where the anti-drop pins are located. If a shift is attempted around those anti-drop pins, then it will be a bit laggy and scrape for a bit, but it will still occur a moment later.

Allen254

by Allen254

for what group set ??