Litespeed T1SL ride quality....too stiff?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carllwyman

by carllwyman

Hard to find much info on 'ride quality' for the Litespeed T1SL. A guy named Ryan H on this forum gave some very good feedback regarding the T3 and how it compares (comfort and stiffness) a 'carbon ride'. He also mentioned that his research has suggested that the T1Sl may be 'stiff' to the point where its very close to carbon....so why go TI because then all your getting is the weight penalty.

So....long story short. I am reaching out to see if anyone has first hand knowledge of the T1Sl and a ride report would be very helpful with my understanding of where this bike stands in the comfort and stiffness area.

FWIW....current ride is a Parlee Z5 (aswesome ride quality).....I weigh 155 and 6'

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

There have only been a few written reviews and video content mainly consists of show "Walk-Arounds". Every November, I get an email from the factory about clearance sales and the TL1s is always included.
Last edited by tabl10s on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

jlok

by jlok

Would be very interested in real world user review, esp. if someone got the disc brake model.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Generally speaking a top-end race bike will ride like a race bike. A race geometry has very short chainstays and in T1SL's case it's 1.5cm shorter than a T7. For a more smooth riding bike you need to look at the lower-end bikes of the same brand, like a T7 which has a touring or 'sportive' geometry.

Unfortunately many people have money to spend so they buy the most expensive model, which is the same bike that Pros race on and it will ride pretty stiff and harsh relative to the lower-end models. I have switched from a 'race' geometry to a 'touring' geometry and I prefer the latter much more. Some people think that 'touring' bike are slow and unresponsive. Ironically I find it to be just the opposite. I descent much faster and with more confidence on a touring bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

I should be getting my hands on a T1sl disc for a few weeks so stay tuned

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

RyanH wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 am
I should be getting my hands on a T1sl disc for a few weeks so stay tuned Image
You're going with disk now? :shock:

RyanH

by RyanH

Doubtful, but I'm still disc curious despite the slightly unimpressed handful of times I've ridden disc. So, a few weeks with a T1sl, 9170 and lightweights... How can I say no to that?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Looking forward to your ride reports. Are you gonna tear down the bike so you could weigh the frame? 8)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

turlutu wrote:Ryan ?
are you going to test ride this one ?
Seems like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaSxNjqrW9k
Hard to have a nicer disc bike to try , except maybe cockpit components
The mechanic who bolted that together needs to up their game.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

You're gonna buy LW disc wheels too?! :shock:

RyanH

by RyanH

Mmmm...

It was late so I didn't get to do a real ride but the only thing I can say is that it didn't feel harsh at all. Definitely more compliant than most carbon.

RyanH

by RyanH

So, chainstay clearance is much improved over my T3, iirc my T3 is around 32mm at the tire which is enough to barely handle 27mm (actual) tires. This is 39mm which should be good for 35mm if you went by the same narrow margin on the sides....or 28mm conti clinchers on any rim.

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 am
Mmmm...

It was late so I didn't get to do a real ride but the only thing I can say is that it didn't feel harsh at all. Definitely more compliant than most carbon.
Ride report ??
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

RyanH

by RyanH

Day 1 Update:

Got a good 25 mile ride in with 3200 ft of elevation. I chose this route because it's a mix of challenging braking and very steep climbing.

First and foremost, to answer the OP's question, this is what the beginning of my ride looks like:

On the T3 with Lightweight Gipfelsturm and 22mm Veloflex, this road is mildly annoying to ride on. With 27mm Vlaanderen it's not really noticeable. While I haven't ridden meilenstein clinchers to compare, I would have guessed with 25mm rubber (actual) and most likely butyl tubes that it'd be a tad harsher than the Gips. It turned out to not be the case, the vibrations felt very muted and barely perceptible. I was pretty surprised as had this been an Evo I probably would never ride this road.

As far as frame stiffness, it's hard to tell since the T3 has this goldilocks thing about it where stiffness isn't in my mind at all. I was pretty intent on figuring out if this frame felt stiffer while pedaling up steep shit and waffled about in my head if it was stiffer or about the same. I'm leaning towards it feeling like most carbon bikes in that regard but I wish I didn't leave my T3 at my friend's place as I would hop on and do a side by side.

Disc brakes: I'll follow up with that one later as I'm on my phone and don't want to write that much.

I'll finish for now with the Michelin tires being terrifying. I was warned by my friend who's a pretty stellar bike handler to be careful with the tires. Sure enough, while climbing up to the Hollywood sign, I rode over some sprinkler runoff and my rear tire slipped repeatedly until it was dry again. So, I don't know if I'll have feedback on descending as I'm not sure I have the cojones to push the bike with these tires unless it's bone dry.

Don't make fun of me, but this is how it looks right now:

Here's a link to the route:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1534926264

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

Which model Michelin’s are those and any idea on mileage/wear? I’ve used the previous gen in the wet and never had issues like that, scary!
Last edited by AZR3 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.