Ridley Internal Cabling Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bpsmith

by bpsmith

I am a new member, so hello everyone. :thumbup:

I already owned a Ridley Noah SL 20 Team in 2016 Lotto Soudal colours and have just bought a 2016 a Helium SL 20 to replace a damaged Bianchi Sempre Pro.

Love both Ridleys, they are awesome.

I want to swap over the Aeronova bars that I have on the Bianchi, but cannot find info on the internal cable routing on the Helium or Noah. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how this is done. My main worry is around the B.B. area and the chainstays. Can I simply remove the cables and then slide them straight back through or do I need temporary cable liners?

Any help appreciated as I start to shave some weight off the Helium SL. Thanks.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I doubt their are any permanent guides in the frame so don't just pull out the cables. It is probably pretty similar to most internally routed frames with an exit at the end of the chainstay, a port at the front of the chainstay, a small area on the downtube below the bottom bracket and two ports at the top of the downtube.

Disconnect the cable from the rear derailleur, remove the housing, and slip a cable liner on to the cable. Push the cable liner over the cable until it pops out near the bottom bracket. Pull out cable and don't disturb the liner you now have in the chainstay. Remove the bottom bracket cable guide if there is one after disconnecting the front derailleur cable. Remove the cable stops at the top of the downtube and now run two more liners over the cable and up through the downtube. Exit at the cable stop ports. Pull cables all the way out, don't disturb liners that are now in frame. You can now run new cables through the liners.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bpsmith

by bpsmith

Cheers @wheelbuilder.

That was my plan, until it was so heated that there were thin outer within the frame.

The BB cable guide looks more like a plug but has some cut outs which I just shined a torch in. There are indeed a pair of thin outers which I can see routing underneath the BB and clipped into the guide. The guide doesn’t move at all when touching. I assume it’s tensioned by the cables.

My plan is to take the tension off and see the if I can remove the guide to see if the above advice needs to be followed or whether the inners run both ways.