Homemade Di2 sprint/climbing shifters

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Ritxis
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: San Sebastian

by Ritxis

davidodem wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 pm
This thread is exactly what I was looking for!!

I have the latest DA R9150, I'm looking to add climber and sprinter buttons.

First off will the SW-R600 work with the hydraulic R9150? I do have one open dummy port on the left shifter, is this where I would connect it?

Are these the right buttons? liking the smallest ones on this set. 6x6x5 or 6x6x4.3. Looking for the absolute lowest profile buttons.
https://www.amazon.com/OCR-Tactile-Butt ... way&sr=8-4
I carry an R600 in ST-R8070 handles, both the Ultegra and the Dura-ace hydraulic, do not have a port for sprinter buttons

by Weenie


User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 2768
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

by ms6073

davidodem wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 pm
I have the latest DA R9150, I'm looking to add climber and sprinter buttons.

First off will the SW-R600 work with the hydraulic R9150? I do have one open dummy port on the left shifter, is this where I would connect it?
Yes, but if you take a look at the dealer manual for the ST-R9150 shifters have 3 ports (2 standard and 1 sprint shifter), thus will work with the SW-R600 Climbing Shifters, SW-R9150 Remote Shifters, and SW-R610 Sprint shifters, all without need of modification.

ST-R9150_Sprint_Shifters.PNG
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

davidodem
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm
Location: Miami Florida

by davidodem

.
Last edited by davidodem on Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidodem
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm
Location: Miami Florida

by davidodem

ms6073 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 pm
davidodem wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 pm
I have the latest DA R9150, I'm looking to add climber and sprinter buttons.

First off will the SW-R600 work with the hydraulic R9150? I do have one open dummy port on the left shifter, is this where I would connect it?
Yes, but if you take a look at the dealer manual for the ST-R9150 shifters have 3 ports (2 standard and 1 sprint shifter), thus will work with the SW-R600 Climbing Shifters, SW-R9150 Remote Shifters, and SW-R610 Sprint shifters, all without need of modification.

However, I have the hydraulic R9150 system which does not have the third port on the hoods. Mine only has 2 ports. But one of the ports is empty... Can I use it with that? Or is it not compatible?

davidodem
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm
Location: Miami Florida

by davidodem

Wait just realized thedoctor has the same groupset at me so all will work :) !! I'll do a write up once I'm finished with it.

Djakninn
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

by Djakninn

davidodem wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 pm
davidodem wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 pm
I have the latest DA R9150, I'm looking to add climber and sprinter buttons.

First off will the SW-R600 work with the hydraulic R9150? I do have one open dummy port on the left shifter, is this where I would connect it?
Yes, but if you take a look at the dealer manual for the ST-R9150 shifters have 3 ports (2 standard and 1 sprint shifter), thus will work with the SW-R600 Climbing Shifters, SW-R9150 Remote Shifters, and SW-R610 Sprint shifters, all without need of modification.

However, I have the hydraulic R9150 system which does not have the third port on the hoods. Mine only has 2 ports. But one of the ports is empty... Can I use it with that? Or is it not compatible?
Just did this myself. As has been posted somewhere already you don't need the splitter cable.

1) 1200mm cable from 4 port JB up downtube to right handlebar drop, into the rs910

2) Cable from rs910 into port 1 of right shifter

3) Cable from port 2 of right shifter into left shifter

4) Modified climbing switch into 2nd port of left shifter - i used a shimano connector and a 2nd cable to get the required length. You could just as easy cut and solder, but i had a connector.

5) Sprint shifters routed through bars

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 2768
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

by ms6073

davidodem wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 pm
However, I have the hydraulic R9150 system which does not have the third port on the hoods. Mine only has 2 ports.
If your shifters are Hydraulic with only two Di2 ports, then you have ST-R9170 shifters which will work out of the box with both the SW-R600 Climbing Shifters and SW-R9150 Remote Shifters, but not the SW-R610 Sprint shifters!
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

davidodem
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm
Location: Miami Florida

by davidodem

Finally finished my custom Di2 button build!!

As you can see I went full integration. One recommendation is to use a soldering iron to burn the hole for the button in the bar tape (super clean).

The new Venge has wire covers on the handlebars and as you can see I drilled holes into the plastic and placed the buttons in them.
Attachments
IMG_6535.JPG
IMG_6541.jpg

Discodan
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 am

by Discodan

Very clean, nicely done sir


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomtom
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

davidodem wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 am
Finally finished my custom Di2 button build!!

As you can see I went full integration. One recommendation is to use a soldering iron to burn the hole for the button in the bar tape (super clean).

The new Venge has wire covers on the handlebars and as you can see I drilled holes into the plastic and placed the buttons in them.
Very nice! But the hole in the blue is not a hole in ribbon :shock: .....which shifters/switches did you buy/use?
Canyon CF SLX Di2 2018
Canyon Aeroad CF SL Di2 Disc 2017
Canyon Speedmax CF Ultegra Di2 2015

jencvo
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:01 pm

by jencvo

davidodem wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 am
Finally finished my custom Di2 button build!!

As you can see I went full integration. One recommendation is to use a soldering iron to burn the hole for the button in the bar tape (super clean).

The new Venge has wire covers on the handlebars and as you can see I drilled holes into the plastic and placed the buttons in them.
Hey new to this. Would you mind sharing exactly how you got this done? I'm looking to do the same with my bike (R8070 shifters). Thanks!

jencvo
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:01 pm

by jencvo

TheDoctor wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 pm
Wanted to share my (very similar) homework as well... Followed the same basic approach to make small climbing shifters for a Dura Ace Di2 Disc 9170 setup, with the shifters only having ports for "smart" switches with the full circuitry, not for the "dumb" sprint shifters.

I purchased a (second hand) SW-R600 climbing shifter and took it apart; I was amazed to see how big the shifter is relative to the circuitry inside. In addition I got some small microswitches; these are available with different button lengths, I went with the shortest (~3mm) as these just protrude out of the bar tape - very low profile.

What kind of wires did you use between the circuitry and the microswitches?

TheDoctor
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 pm

by TheDoctor

Just the thinnest two-core wire I could find in my stack... Nothing special
Scott Addict Premium Disc
Argon 18 Nitrogen
Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro
Canyon Exceed CF SLX 8.0

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post