PF30 BB install concerns

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

yeah whatever floats. heard lots of good things about using 609 tho.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

2old4this

by 2old4this

Drpoomanchu wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 pm
jlok wrote:I got the Thread Together BB86 for my TCR ADV SL full carbon BB shell. No problem at all.

Inserted into DS without resistance. Thread in the NDS and tightened it. Used Loctite 660 instead of Teflon grease. No creak no noise. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thnx, local shop told me they use 609 and activator to seat theirs. They work allot on Fuji’s. I think they may use delrin cups which I would be ok with. Wheels mfg. says NOT to use any other compounds than grease as the cups thread together and pull tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may want to try using Loctite 609 and 242 on two separate screws and see which one is easier to unscrew after curing. This is to give you an idea how hard it would be to replace your BB later on. In my experience, 609 is like glue whereas 242 is more like a filler.
I kind of agree wit WM, if your BB shell is to the spec, threaded ones should have less of a chance of creaking...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Most new fuji's come with a Praxis PF30 to (usually) SRAM converter. It's a little heavier obviously, but I'm wondering whether Fuji know something about their tolerances that make using Praxis BB converters more cost effective, as like Cannondale and Specialized maybe poor tolerances end up with lots of bikes being a creak-fest and are side-stepping a possible issue of irritated customers?

hambini

by hambini

Fuji bikes tend to have slack fits. The holes are fairly round but they are effectively oversized.

I would try Loctite 641 and 7649 in combination for a press fit BB

If you have a Praxis works BB that splays outwards with tightening, this is an axial/radial interference mechanism so if the bottom bracket width is wrong (looks to be short) which it sounds like, it will not clamp properly. You'll need to put a spacer on either the drive or non drive side to fix the length.

There is some generic guidance here
https://www.hambini.com/technical-suppo ... ckets.html

Hope that helps
Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Allen254

by Allen254

there is a youtube video on this. basically BB shells vary in their diameters and are never consistant with how big or small they should be they are always off by a bit and in some cases a lot. i have Fuji SL installed a kogel pf 30 to bb 30 spindle and havnet really had any problmes it.

Allen254

by Allen254

there is a youtube video on this. basically BB shells vary in their diameters and are never consistant with how big or small they should be they are always off by a bit and in some cases a lot. i have Fuji SL installed a kogel pf 30 to bb 30 spindle and havnet really had any problmes it. sorry for double post