Giant Defy vs TCR vs Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

parleez1 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:36 am
Reviving this post as it’s been quiet for a while.
I have been looking at a 2018 TCR Advanced SL 0 with SRAM Red etap and a TCR Advanced Pro 1 with Ultegra Di2. Can anyone provide any feedback on the SL 0 and Red etap? I think I’m leaning towards the SL but have not ridden one or tried etap, so I’m curious what others think.
Price is good on a end of year deal so I have to act quickly before the remaining stock is gone. Oh, it’s the orange frame color, anyonrhave one? What do you think?
Thanks for the input!
I have a size Small 2017 TCR SL (neon red) with Dura Ace 9150 and Mavic Cosmic carbon SL UST wheels. The bike is incredibly stiff, yet comfortable even on long rides with a bare carbon saddle. Love the bike so much, I ordered the new 2019 Cameleon Blue TCR SL frameset through my dealer three weeks ago to swap out with the current neon red. The beautiful paint job was not the main reason for this swap. I rode my buddies XS TCR and absolutely loved the more aggressive geometry and lower center of gravity of the bike. Cant wait for the new frame! BTW if I was you, I'd build one up myself. The frameset lists for only $2200 with Dura Ace 9150 going for $2200-2300 online. You can easily build one with Dura Ace di2, quality carbon wheels and cockpit for under $7K. Plus the paint job is way nicer than the fully assembled bikes listed on Giant's website. Below is a pic of my TCR and the frame that will replace it.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

eric01

by eric01

Damn that chameleon paint job is nice! Glad to see the industry moving away from the black on black - albeit slowly. Bring back the fades and neons of the 90s!
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

eric01 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:06 am
Damn that chameleon paint job is nice! Glad to see the industry moving away from the black on black - albeit slowly. Bring back the fades and neons of the 90s!
Did someone say neons?

2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

parleez1

by parleez1

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 am
parleez1 wrote:
I have been looking at a 2018 TCR Advanced SL 0 with SRAM Red etap and a TCR Advanced Pro 1 with Ultegra Di2. Can anyone provide any feedback on the SL 0 and Red etap? I think I’m leaning towards the SL but have not ridden one or tried etap, so I’m curious what others think.
Price is good on a end of year deal so I have to act quickly before the remaining stock is gone. Oh, it’s the orange frame color, anyonrhave one? What do you think?
Thanks for the input!
I have a size Small 2017 TCR SL (neon red) with Dura Ace 9150 and Mavic Cosmic carbon SL UST wheels. The bike is incredibly stiff, yet comfortable even on long rides with a bare carbon saddle. Love the bike so much, I ordered the new 2019 Cameleon Blue TCR SL frameset through my dealer three weeks ago to swap out with the current neon red. The beautiful paint job was not the main reason for this swap. I rode my buddies XS TCR and absolutely loved the more aggressive geometry and lower center of gravity of the bike. Cant wait for the new frame! BTW if I was you, I'd build one up myself. The frameset lists for only $2200 with Dura Ace 9150 going for $2200-2300 online. You can easily build one with Dura Ace di2, quality carbon wheels and cockpit for under $7K. Plus the paint job is way nicer than the fully assembled bikes listed on Giant's website. Below is a pic of my TCR and the frame that will replace it.
Noctiluxx, not a bad idea! Does the frameset come with a BB and headset? What would you estimate the total cost with the Mavic wheels, and DA Di2 groupset? What else would I need to purchase besides handlebars and stem? I have pedals and saddle. Please post pictures once you receive your frame andbuild it up!

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

parleez1 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 am
parleez1 wrote:
Thanks for the input!
Noctiluxx, not a bad idea! Does the frameset come with a BB and headset? What would you estimate the total cost with the Mavic wheels, and DA Di2 groupset? What else would I need to purchase besides handlebars and stem? I have pedals and saddle. Please post pictures once you receive your frame andbuild it up!

The frame comes with a fork, headset, spacers, no BB. Besides the groupset will come with a BB. Right now Merlin Cycles has the Dura Ace 9150 groupset on sale for $2K. The wheels are about the same. All you need after that is a cockpit, saddle, pedals, bar tape, and bottle cages.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

shotgun

by shotgun

parleez1 wrote:
Thanks for the input!
I've had a 2017 and 2016 SL0 running on Etap, very happy with the setup. I've never had a Di2 though so I can't compare. I like the bright orange, it's a refrshing change. I now run an SL0 Disc in neon green running just on mech Di2 (left one in the photo above).
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

parleez1

by parleez1

shotgun wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 am
parleez1 wrote:
Thanks for the input!
I've had a 2017 and 2016 SL0 running on Etap, very happy with the setup. I've never had a Di2 though so I can't compare. I like the bright orange, it's a refrshing change. I now run an SL0 Disc in neon green running just on mech Di2 (left one in the photo above).
Shotgun, nice looking bike! How do you like the disc brakes compared to the rim brake version of the SL0? what is the weight difference? Can yo feel quicker accelleration on the rim brake version? I'm leaning towards a rim brake/ Red etap bike, not sure of the color yet. I just don't think the orange color would be a long term keeper and I'd like to keep this bike for a number of years. Has your etap system been without flaws? Thanks!

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Damn, those neon green TCR's make me wanna upgrade to an SL. :unbelievable:
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

After debating which bike to get for months I've decided to buy 2019 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0. think it is the best deal out there.

I thot about getting an SL Disc frameset and built up the bike but people say traveling with it is close to impossible for my size (XL). Also, Pro Disc comes with a PM and di2 which is a huge plus.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

parleez1

by parleez1

DCcyclist wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm
After debating which bike to get for months I've decided to buy 2019 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0. think it is the best deal out there.

I thot about getting an SL Disc frameset and built up the bike but people say traveling with it is close to impossible for my size (XL). Also, Pro Disc comes with a PM and di2 which is a huge plus.
The carbon fiber used for the Advanced SL frame over the Advanced frame makes my want the SL frame more. It seems to be more high tech and a bit lighter. I don’t travel with my bike so I’m not worried about the seat mast. The PM would be nice, but I think I’m going with Red eTap SL, so no PM. I don’t have one now, so I won’t miss it.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

DCcyclist wrote:

That's the way I went this year and definitely don't regret it!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

shotgun

by shotgun

parleez1 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Shotgun, nice looking bike! How do you like the disc brakes compared to the rim brake version of the SL0? what is the weight difference? Can yo feel quicker accelleration on the rim brake version? I'm leaning towards a rim brake/ Red etap bike, not sure of the color yet. I just don't think the orange color would be a long term keeper and I'd like to keep this bike for a number of years. Has your etap system been without flaws? Thanks!
Thanks! I love the disc brakes, feel and modulation are much better, and they're great on descents. Would I be happy with just rim brakes, probably. However, I live in a tropical country and it rains 1/3 of the year and that's where discs shine. The discs handling seems a bit more sluggish than their rim brake counterparts, I wouldn't say slow but definitely a discernable difference. Yeah the orange does seem loud, as does my green one though I replace them quite regularly. eTap is now on my Festka and they work flawlessly in a stock setup. I've recently switched to Extralite chainrings and I've had a drop chain in some occasions, say every 700km.

almost forgot. Weight difference is about 400-500g compared to a rim brake version. Granted i was using a Ciamillo Micro GSL brakeset.
Last edited by shotgun on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

shotgun

by shotgun

DCcyclist wrote:

I travel using the scicon aerocomfort bike bag. Works well with ISPs though I'm not sure it'll fit an XL frame :lol:
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

parleez1

by parleez1

shotgun wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm
parleez1 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks! I love the disc brakes, feel and modulation are much better, and they're great on descents. Would I be happy with just rim brakes, probably. However, I live in a tropical country and it rains 1/3 of the year and that's where discs shine. The discs handling seems a bit more sluggish than their rim brake counterparts, I wouldn't say slow but definitely a discernable difference. Yeah the orange does seem loud, as does my green one though I replace them quite regularly. eTap is now on my Festka and they work flawlessly in a stock setup. I've recently switched to Extralite chainrings and I've had a drop chain in some occasions, say every 700km.

almost forgot. Weight difference is about 400-500g compared to a rim brake version. Granted i was using a Ciamillo Micro GSL brakeset.
Guess my concern has always been high speed descents, especially with carbon fiber clincher wheels, but I find I rarely ride mountains in my area and can control the speed of my decents with rim brakes, so I’m leaning heavily towards the Advanced SL 0 rim brake with Red etap. I think the decreased weight and better handling will trump disc brakes for my use.

Jfkma

by Jfkma

Yo, do you guys know what bottom bracket the TCR Advanced SL uses? I think it's bb86 but I'm not sure as the website doesn't specify. I've also looked on here but didn't find any definitive answers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com