Giant Defy vs TCR vs Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

congrats. you made the right choice! pictures arent working but maybe thats just me? :noidea:
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

syplam wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:23 pm
Congratz ! Welcome to the TCR camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! :beerchug:
onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:26 pm
congrats. you made the right choice! pictures arent working but maybe thats just me? :noidea:
Nah, not just you. I'm getting owned by Photobucket. Post preview looked fine but now they don't show. :oops: I'll get them posted one way or another! :thumbup:
Last edited by amngwlvs on Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

amngwlvs wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 pm
syplam wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:23 pm
Congratz ! Welcome to the TCR camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:beerchug:
onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:26 pm
Nah, not just you. I'm getting owned by Photobucket. Post preview looked fine but now they don't show. :oops: I'll get them posted one way or another! :thumbup:
I use imgur now because PB was more hassle than it was worth
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:57 pm
I use imgur now because PB was more hassle than it was worth
Haha literally just created an imgur account. Pics should work now. :thumbup:
2013 Trek 520

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

that looks great, I'm not surprised you're happy with it! I've never seen that colour/design either!

Impressive weight. My tcr is 9kg stock!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

TonyM

by TonyM

Looks good.
But is it your size? I wonder about all these spacers....or are you going to get rid of these?

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 pm
that looks great, I'm not surprised you're happy with it! I've never seen that colour/design either!

It's super hard to get a good photo of the neon red. Sometimes it looks orange and others red. I haven't found a photo online yet that does it justice. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but in person it's gorgeous.

Yeah, it's no slouch. Definitely lighter than my Propel and has discs so that's a bonus!
TonyM wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:14 pm
Looks good.
But is it your size? I wonder about all these spacers....or are you going to get rid of these?
Thanks; it's a medium. At 5'10 I'm right on the line of a M and a ML. Were you thinking I should have gone up to the ML? The ML may have given me a more approptiate stack height but would have made the reach longer than I wanted. I always found my M Propel a little long feeling and with the same geo on paper I definitely didn't want to size up. I'd rather run a 110mm stem on this down the road than a 90mm on a bigger bike right off the hop.

The stack of spacers right now represents a lack of flexibilty in my back (probably in part (25%) from a fall off a ladder two years ago) and a lack of self dicipline (75%) in the beer department over the long winter we had in Ontario. Goal would be to lose the 10lbs of beer weight and work on flexibility to get down to a more "appropriate" stack (ideally as close to zero as is comfortable) of spacers under the stem.
2013 Trek 520

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I like that Giant TCR Advanced Pro disc can be bought as the frameset at very good price (MSRP 1800) .

The Propel disc, however, only available as full bike at the moment. The build is no where close to what i personally want to use (Sram mechanical+cable disc) so it's a no buy for me.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Hexsense wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:56 pm
I like that Giant TCR Advanced Pro disc can be bought as the frameset at very good price (MSRP 1800) .

The Propel disc, however, only available as full bike at the moment. The build is no where close to what i personally want to use (Sram mechanical+cable disc) so it's a no buy for me.
Not that I would have gone the frameset option anyways but you're lucky to have it! In Canada you have two choices: Ultegra mechanical or Ultegra Di2.
2013 Trek 520

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Good choice. You're going to love that bike. I've had mine for almost a year (I have the 2017 version), and it still brings a smile to my face every time I'm about to go for a ride. More importantly, I'm smiling after every ride.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

TonyM

by TonyM

amngwlvs wrote:
onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 pm

It's super hard to get a good photo of the neon red. Sometimes it looks orange and others red. I haven't found a photo online yet that does it justice. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but in person it's gorgeous.

Yeah, it's no slouch. Definitely lighter than my Propel and has discs so that's a bonus!
TonyM wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:14 pm
Looks good.
Thanks; it's a medium. At 5'10 I'm right on the line of a M and a ML. Were you thinking I should have gone up to the ML? The ML may have given me a more approptiate stack height but would have made the reach longer than I wanted. I always found my M Propel a little long feeling and with the same geo on paper I definitely didn't want to size up. I'd rather run a 110mm stem on this down the road than a 90mm on a bigger bike right off the hop.

The stack of spacers right now represents a lack of flexibilty in my back (probably in part (25%) from a fall off a ladder two years ago) and a lack of self dicipline (75%) in the beer department over the long winter we had in Ontario. Goal would be to lose the 10lbs of beer weight and work on flexibility to get down to a more "appropriate" stack (ideally as close to zero as is comfortable) of spacers under the stem.

No based on this you made the right choice in terms of size! If too long a shorter stem will have killed the geometry and handling.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

TonyM wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 pm
No based on this you made the right choice in terms of size! If too long a shorter stem will have killed the geometry and handling.
Yeah, thanks, I was pretty confident the M was the way to go. I tried a 90mm stem on my Propel for a hot minute to shorten my reach and it definitely didn't help the handling any. Just need to get working on my flexibility this season and start working my way lower up front! The saddle can probably go up 5-10mm too.
2013 Trek 520

henryj30

by henryj30

Will the Propel SL be fitted with Rim for 2019? Or will they keep discs permanently for 2018 and beyond?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

^lol

Noone is going back to rim brakes. Road disc is here to stay.

henryj30

by henryj30

glam2deaf wrote:^lol

Noone is going back to rim brakes. Road disc is here to stay.
You shouldn't laugh at me for asking a question but thanks for your answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com