Giant Defy vs TCR vs Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

First I got the TCR Adv SL Disc size S with CLX32/50 combo and they provide a lively ride. Acceleration is quick with very responsive steering.

Then I got the Propel Advanced size M (cheapest model) with Bora One 50 wheelset. Couldn't believe the cheapest model actually ride very well. It's heavy but it doesn't hold me back on the flat. It climbs reasonbly well. Both bikes are well made and I think I'd go either way with Giant and avoid the Pro level.

I'm 178 with 82 inseam. M is perfect for me while S is obviously too small but is doable with longer stem and make do with toe overlap.

Good luck with your Giant.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

jlok wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm
First I got the TCR Adv SL Disc size S with CLX32/50 combo and they provide a lively ride. Acceleration is quick with very responsive steering.

Then I got the Propel Advanced size M (cheapest model) with Bora One 50 wheelset. Couldn't believe the cheapest model actually ride very well. It's heavy but it doesn't hold me back on the flat. It climbs reasonbly well. Both bikes are well made and I think I'd go either way with Giant and avoid the Pro level.

I'm 178 with 82 inseam. M is perfect for me while S is obviously too small but is doable with longer stem and make do with toe overlap.

Good luck with your Giant.

Thanks for the reply! I was impressed with my Propel when I first got it as well. My riding style has changed a bit and with the drivetrain and wheel maintenance/parts I'm tempted to upgrade to a new bike before spending the money on it.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

So after test rides and pondering this a ton I've pretty well decided the TCR is the route I want to go. I've tracked down the bike I had originally wanted - TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc but the shop has thrown a bit of a wrench in the gears. They currently have a 2016 TCR Advanced SL 2 demo that sounds like it would fit me well for roughly half the price. When comparing the two I'm thinking below... Any one have experience with both bikes?

2018 TCR AP0
Pros:
- Discs
- Di2
- Brand new model
- Thru axles

Cons:
- Price ($5400)
- Can't share wheels with the Propel (do I even need to keep the Propel at this point though?!)

2016 TCR SL2
Pros:
- Price ($3000)
- Ability to swap wheels with my current Propel for crits, etc if I want
- ISP?
- Lighter carbon layup

Cons:
- Rim brakes (while I don't need discs I would prefer them)
- ISP?
- Would want to upgrade to Di2

Am I missing anything here? Would you go straight for the new model and be done with it or would you spend the 3k and use the other 2-3k in the budget for upgrades (Di2, power meter, etc)? What would your first upgrades be?
2013 Trek 520

jlok

by jlok

Id say go for the SL. no regret even it's rim brake. going up hill never been easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

jlok wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:06 pm
Id say go for the SL. no regret even it's rim brake. going up hill never been easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick reply! I've only ever had a couple of times where I did't feel like the rim brakes were enough - once going too fast on a descent on a new road where I almost missed a corner and once in a race in the rain where I crashed. Both were with stock pads and alloy wheels. Otherwise, rim brakes are pretty sufficient.
2013 Trek 520

fa63

by fa63

I would buy the newer bike if you can afford it. Di2 and disc brakes are nice. Plus you won’t have that feeling of “what if I had bought the newer bike instead of buying a 2 year old one?”

On another note, I owned a 2015 TCR Advanced SL with Di2 for about 6 months; fastest bike I have ever ridden. I know it is all in the legs and all, but I rode faster on that bike on familiar routes, even after the placebo effect wore off and even though I haven’t been riding as much. I sold it to get a gravel bike; a decision I regret.
Last edited by fa63 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Thanks for the input! I definitely feel your sentiments about wanting to get the latest model as far as bikes go and I especially feel like that towards discs. I'd hate to spend 3k on a bike plus 2 or 3 more on upgrades only to be 2 years down the road on rim brakes and regretting the decision to not have gone to a disc option when I could have. The discs really just seem like the future proof option to me. But less than 10 posts in and I can already hear the weight weenie bugs buzzing around my head which makes a case for the SL. It was spring 2016 when I bought my 2015 Propel and while fleeting, I did have those thoughts on occasion, but based on budget at the time it was the best bang for my buck as far as I was concerned.

It's a shame you had to give up the SL and a bigger shame that it turned out to be a regret. Hopefully you still love the gravel bike at least!

edit: Glad to hear it was the fastest bike you've ever ridden though. That's certainly reassuring when I'm coming from a Propel.
2013 Trek 520

jlok

by jlok

I ride the SL Disc with CLX 32/50 combo. Fastest bike I agree and faster going down :P

Stickman

by Stickman

northwestern wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 pm
I'd take the Defy because you can fit bigger tires on it so you can ride on more types of surfaces. I have a TCR Advanced Sl and unless the tarmac is 9/10 I can't ride fast. Gravel, sand or any other road type is completely out of the question.
Out of interest, what is your weight, tyre size, tyre pressure on the TCR? I've got an alloy Contend but the carbon TCR is my likely upgrade one day and have been wondering about the ride quality, but I'm lightweight and only run 70psi in my 25s..

northwestern

by northwestern

Stickman wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:13 am
northwestern wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 pm
I'd take the Defy because you can fit bigger tires on it so you can ride on more types of surfaces. I have a TCR Advanced Sl and unless the tarmac is 9/10 I can't ride fast. Gravel, sand or any other road type is completely out of the question.
Out of interest, what is your weight, tyre size, tyre pressure on the TCR? I've got an alloy Contend but the carbon TCR is my likely upgrade one day and have been wondering about the ride quality, but I'm lightweight and only run 70psi in my 25s..
I'm 5'11 (180 cm) 170 lbs. I think my tyres are 25' and I put about 120-130 psi

TonyM

by TonyM

You may want to try with less pressure...

syplam

by syplam

Using the SL may restrict your travelling. Not sure what bike bag can fit SL’s ISP... I have a SL but I use a different bike for travelling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

I travel with my SL using Scicon Aerocomfort. Haven't checked any hard case that fits SL tho.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Firstly, thanks you to everyone for their opinions on this! At the end of the day I realized that the Defy, while no doubt a great bike, wouldn't ever feel like a race bike during crits and the Propel would always feel like a race bike even on casual Sunday rides. So with that I drove 6 hours each way to Giant Montreal to check out the TCR and the moment I saw it in person I knew I wasn't leaving without it. It just ticked all the right boxes: comfortable enough for longs days, nimble enough for tight crit courses, and all weather ready.

I've ridden the bike about 100km so far and let me say, it's incredible. I couldn't believe how stiff and nimble it felt and how quickly it wanted to accelerate compared the to Propel. The braking is smooth and predicable and the Di2 is amazing. So far, I couldn't be happier. So Saturday it will be getting packed in the van to head to Cookeville, Tennesee for 6 days to do roughly 600km and 20,000' of climbing.

Because it's WW, the bike weighed in at 17lb11oz (8.05kg) with Ultegra pedals (248g) and plastic Giant bottle cages (41g each). So without, it would be sitting at 7.675kg which I didn't think was too bad, all things considered.

And now...

Last edited by amngwlvs on Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Trek 520

syplam

by syplam

Congratz ! Welcome to the TCR camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com