Suggestions for upcoming CAAD10 build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Building up a CAAD 10. (starting from bare frame, fork and a carbon seatpost (can't remember brand name).

This is the parts list i've made so far. If you have any suggestions or changes let me know. Want to make this as light as possible while also keeping it realistic in terms of cost. I work in a bike shop so I get parts at cost (from the distributers we carry). Just want suggestions or changes like I said from anyone who has experience building lightweight CAAD 10s
49ee3d5ce87381f852dfbaf40af6c15c.jpg
Untitled.jpg

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you want it as light as possible Shimano Ultegra is a big no. SRAM is much lighter for similar money (esp. if you're not restricted to buying a whole groupset and you can mix and match - e.g. Rival mechs, BB30 Red crank etc.)

The FSA SLK stem isn't particularly light IIRC. A Kalloy uno stem should be lighter for less money.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

I would take the weight penalty for Ultegra if you like Shimano shifting. I only have SRAM on my WW bike because of the weight, otherwise I prefer Shimano (or Campy, but I can't afford that). Certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I wasn't trying to cut weight off the build.

The Rival mechs are indeed pretty light. RD was 166g with the cheapy ceramic jockeys I think? FD is about the same as any other non-Ti/carbon FD. Even Rival tier levers are lighter than DA and SR. You can shave off an ounce of so getting higher end ones with carbon levers but those are some seriously diminishing returns. Rival/Force 22 cranks are anchors though.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Wookski

by Wookski

It needs sisl2 cranks and yes that stem sucks

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

istigatrice wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:09 am
If you want it as light as possible Shimano Ultegra is a big no. SRAM is much lighter for similar money (esp. if you're not restricted to buying a whole groupset and you can mix and match - e.g. Rival mechs, BB30 Red crank etc.)

The FSA SLK stem isn't particularly light IIRC. A Kalloy uno stem should be lighter for less money.
Yeah the SLK stem was just a random one I chose, not going to go with that (picked it more because I was choosing other FSA parts haha).

As for the weights of the gruppo. I was thinking about going for R8000 just because it was coming out to be less through the S-Tec program. That was before I went for the FSA crank though. I think that maybe I will stick with Force now that I just saw how big the difference actually is.

Appreciate the advice!!!

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

2lo8 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:08 am
I would take the weight penalty for Ultegra if you like Shimano shifting. I only have SRAM on my WW bike because of the weight, otherwise I prefer Shimano (or Campy, but I can't afford that). Certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I wasn't trying to cut weight off the build.

The Rival mechs are indeed pretty light. RD was 166g with the cheapy ceramic jockeys I think? FD is about the same as any other non-Ti/carbon FD. Even Rival tier levers are lighter than DA and SR. You can shave off an ounce of so getting higher end ones with carbon levers but those are some seriously diminishing returns. Rival/Force 22 cranks are anchors though.
I have Force on my current bike now, was just thinking of switch because of cost. Now that I've looked at it more I think it's worth it to go with Sram

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Wookski wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:14 am
I was hesitant about the sisl2 cranks, aparently they're really bad and drop the chain a lot, that was my only drawback.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you're dropping your chain that sounds like an issue with how the FD is set up, not the crank. It could also be the chainrings as well, but IIRC spiderrings are some of the best chainrings you can get.

If you're looking to save money because your shop can't get good rates on SRAM, it might be worth to mix up the groupset. I think the Rival FD and RD are the same weight as Force, so you can save some money if you don't mind mismatched parts. Maybe look for some of the older SRAM red brakes as well (the old 10spd dual pivot ones) I think those are some of the best $/gram brakes from SRAM. Otherwise the usual weightweenie brakes will be a good option too (KCNC, ee, Fourier BR-DX001).

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Wookski

by Wookski

CraigKnobovitch wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:06 am
Wookski wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:14 am
I was hesitant about the sisl2 cranks, aparently they're really bad and drop the chain a lot, that was my only drawback.
They’re fine- I ran them on a previous build with both spiderings and Extralite octoramps with no issues

2lo8

by 2lo8

CraigKnobovitch wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 am
I have Force on my current bike now, was just thinking of switch because of cost. Now that I've looked at it more I think it's worth it to go with Sram
Rival RD/FD/levers is basically on par with SR/DA taken as a mini-group.

Even Rival brakes are pretty much the same weight or lighter SR/DA brakes.

It's the rest of the stuff that doesn't have to be matched that is lighter.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

istigatrice wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 am
If you're dropping your chain that sounds like an issue with how the FD is set up, not the crank. It could also be the chainrings as well, but IIRC spiderrings are some of the best chainrings you can get.

If you're looking to save money because your shop can't get good rates on SRAM, it might be worth to mix up the groupset. I think the Rival FD and RD are the same weight as Force, so you can save some money if you don't mind mismatched parts. Maybe look for some of the older SRAM red brakes as well (the old 10spd dual pivot ones) I think those are some of the best $/gram brakes from SRAM. Otherwise the usual weightweenie brakes will be a good option too (KCNC, ee, Fourier BR-DX001).
Wasn't that bad of a difference actually. Just went with Shimano initially becuase I get it at 50% below MSRP (Below wholesale) for doing their learning program. Changed my list to full Force 22 and I think it's only an extra $150. Also shipping's going to be a lot quicker because we're luckily only a few kms from our distributor's warehouse

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Here's my updated list. For wheels, thinking a pair of DA C24s (have them lying around the shop and I can get them for next to nothing), or getting a pair from Mavic, for that I just have to see the duties and shipping costs.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.03.51 AM.png

istigatrice

by istigatrice

As 2lol8 has said, don't bother with the Force crank. I also wouldn't bother with the Force RD/FD since the Rival units come in at roughly the same weight. You're better of getting a BB30 Red (cheapest option) crank or SiSL2 (matches cannondale the best) if your budget allows. If you can get your hands on the old Red brakes (the ones the force units are modelled off) they'll be a tiny bit lighter.

Cheap carbon tubulars would be my go to for wheels if you want light. If you need alloy clinchers (and you're not super heavy) you can build your own set much lighter than DA/Mavic. They're super nice wheels, but if weight is a goal they wouldn't be my first choice.

2lo8

by 2lo8

CraigKnobovitch wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:02 pm
Changed my list to full Force 22 and I think it's only an extra $150. Also shipping's going to be a lot quicker because we're luckily only a few kms from our distributor's warehouse
Force 22 cranks are still pretty heavy though. Carbon arms with separate spider puts them in the same category as hollow forged aluminum cranks.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

2lo8

by 2lo8

istigatrice wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:34 pm
As 2lol8 has said, don't bother with the Force crank. I also wouldn't bother with the Force RD/FD since the Rival units come in at roughly the same weight. You're better of getting a BB30 Red (cheapest option) crank or SiSL2 (matches cannondale the best) if your budget allows. If you can get your hands on the old Red brakes (the ones the force units are modelled off) they'll be a tiny bit lighter.
Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure Force and Rival FDs are the same, only with different graphics. Rival RD was within a gram of Force I think, because force uses Rival 10 forgings with the carbon cage. Rival 22 uses newer forgings which lose just as much weight as the carbon cage.

I think the cassette is only a couple grams lighter if you use an alloy lockring with Rival too. The Force bits that are ligher are the brakes, which are only a few grams lighter per brake than Rival 10 brakes, both lighter than Rival 22 brakes though, and the carbon levers. There's the crank too, but as stated earlier, Rival/Force 22 cranks are heavy.

Remove the heavy crank for the equation, and it's a lot of money for very little savings between Rival 22 and Force 22.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com