Trouble with Schmolke TLO compact slipping in MCFK stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Has anyone else had issues with this happening? The stem face plate is a tight as it can go and up against the back mounting as much as it can be, but going over bumps it is starting to slip. I had to cancel a r ide mid ride yesterday as the bars rotated down on a bumpy downhill that it was too dangerous to carry on and I had to turn back (didn't have a minitool on me to fix!)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

using any carbon paste ? I use TACX on my MCFK stem..but I have a Ritchley Streem II bar
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Don't either product but to start have you measured the bar width with calipers? Might be the tolerance of production are on the "narrow" side?
Are they both new? have you used either with another bar/stem?
Carbon Paste probably wouldn't help if your stemplate is already backed into the stem but could give it a go?
Have you removed the faceplace and checked the bar for deformation? could of crushed it and showing up as slippage. If that is the case you are very very lucky.

Have you used a torque wrench? should only be as tight as recommneded.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks for the feedback. Yes using carbon paste, both are bought second hand off here. I'll investigate the possibility of the bar being crushed or deformed.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check the clamping area for compression damage. If the carbon in the bars has delaminated you should see a crease forming on the surface somewhere around the clamp area. If this is the case the bars can only be binned.

Happened to me once. After going to integrated bars+stem no problem. Comfy as hell too.

/a

beanbiken

by beanbiken

have the MCFK stem with the Schmolke SL compact bars. Zero problems with slippage etc. As per alcatraz it odes seem something is amiss.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

NiFTY

by NiFTY

If the bar is undersize or thestem is oversize i would try spraying the clamp area of the bar with a few coats of clear to thicken it up.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beanbiken

by beanbiken

NiFTY wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 am
If the bar is undersize or thestem is oversize i would try spraying the clamp area of the bar with a few coats of clear to thicken it up.
Yes, 2 pack auto clear would work. Your local smash repairer should be able to assist there............ Or maybe a call to MCFK or Schmolke
BB

Coffee & carbon

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Another symptom with my weirdly acting bars was that torquing the stem bolts seemed to take forever. They needed several turns before they started to tighten properly after that the plate contacted the bars.

A more confident clamping is probably when the torque increases quickly.

/a

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

NiFTY wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 am
Great advice. Maybe roughen the newly applied coating by grazing it with some lowish grade sand paper (100 or 80) as well for extra grip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Use 2 layers of exremely hard clear boat lacquer on the clamping area, then some 2 component boat laquer with a touch of fine sand in it ( real fine sand ) as a third layer. Then if necessary a last thin layer of clear coat. That must give some grip you need on the clamping area. Or otherwise get in contact with the manufacturer and ask what to do.