Consolidating Bikes - needs suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm toying around the idea of consolidating my climbing bike (Addict R1) and my aero bike (TMR02) to one bike. seems nowadays non-aero bike is actually designed to be aero without it being an actual aero bike.

just like last TDF... i was hoping to see the team ride the TM or TMR.. but instead they all ride the new TeamMachine instead of the TimeMachine. maybe it's more comfortable?

my TMR02 is aggressive and after i threw out my back in Feb of this year.. i haven't gotten all my flexibilty back, so can't really enjoy being stretch out on the hoods.

so if moving forward to consolidate.. which would you recommend? TIA

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

Hmmm tough one.

I have a TMR02, an SLR02 and a climbing bike, my Izalco Max!

I've only recently got the TMR02 and I feel it does have its place in my stable, so does the Izalco, it's over 1.5kg lighter than the BMC's (which coincidently are the same weight 7.8kg) so is noticable on longer hilly routes.

If you dont need to shift either for financial reasons, I would just keep both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Aero will soon get much better because the UCI changed some rules. So I would sell the TimeMachine.

dastott

by dastott

Look at the riding you do. I have a nimble climbing bike (SS Evo) and cheaper aero bike (Reacto with 105) and love both. For climbs around 4% and under the aero bike is fine despite being around 2kgs heavier. For technical up and down courses with gradients of 6% and over the SS Evo every time. Alternatively, keep one bike and use different wheelsets and even clip on aero bars.

TonyM

by TonyM

dastott wrote:keep one bike and use different wheelsets.
This.

addictR1

by addictR1

dastott wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:03 pm
Look at the riding you do. I have a nimble climbing bike (SS Evo) and cheaper aero bike (Reacto with 105) and love both. For climbs around 4% and under the aero bike is fine despite being around 2kgs heavier. For technical up and down courses with gradients of 6% and over the SS Evo every time. Alternatively, keep one bike and use different wheelsets and even clip on aero bars.
for me actually i've taken the TMR02 up climbs over 15% and it's fine and stiff. though both bikes have different gear ratio, but long haul, my lower back doesn't suffer as much on the addict.

it's difficult to decide which bike to keep based on my current rides. i was also looking at the new 2019 Giant TCR advance SL frame but not sure if it's somewhat aero or not.
TonyM wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:55 am
Aero will soon get much better because the UCI changed some rules. So I would sell the TimeMachine.
interesting that you meantion this. can you elaborate more?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

addictR1 wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:55 am
interesting that you meantion this. can you elaborate more?
The bikes do not need to comply with the 3:1 ratio for the down tube.

However the main bike manufacturers don’t have used this new possibility in their new aero bikes yet.