Strange eTap Front derailleur issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flafonta

by flafonta

My front derailleur eTap sometimes positions itself too far out, hitting the crankarm.

It will be fine for 100s of miles, and suddenly while riding, I hear the crank hitting the derailleur cage (might be after shifts).

Usually I am in a fast group ride so no time to stop. So I would give it a kick with my heal while riding, and then it would be fine for a couple more months.

Anybody experienced something like this? Any idea what might be wrong?

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Are you saying it's beyond the high limit screw?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It could be one or more of the following:

1) Braze-on geometry
2) Crankarm q-factor/thickness
3) Poorly adjusted yaw and high-limit

sungod

by sungod

the fd overshifts then drops back, from other comments the degree of overshift may vary with read mech position

if you have marginal clearance it may be clipping the screws, to hit the cage it'd need to be waaaaaay out

as above i'd think an adjustment issue or incompatible geometry, or maybe a faulty fd
Usually I am in a fast group ride so no time to stop. So I would give it a kick with my heal while riding, and then it would be fine for a couple more months.
if your fd cage really is hitting the crank, being "in a fast group ride" is no reason to not stop and have a long hard look next time it happens, kicking it is not the answer, for all you know one day it'll jam your crank and you'll take others down with you

jih

by jih

The FD moves out further when you're in the small sprockets at the back. Does this only happen when you're in those sprockets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flafonta

by flafonta

jih wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 pm
The FD moves out further when you're in the small sprockets at the back. Does this only happen when you're in those sprockets?
Might be so, but the problem is that it stays "parked" in that outboard position and it keeps hitting the crank. Even if I then go back down on small chainring and go back up, once it is hitting the crank, it keeps hitting it (until I kick it back).

Really feels like it is moving from its attached point.

Thanks for all the attached suggestions.