Bianchi...naked frame project.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

To be honest, that frame doesn't appear to fit you very well, with that upturned stem and spacer tower. It might it be better to sell it as a whole bike (maybe £150, probably more like £100) and buy a similar but better fitting bike for around the same price and start the project again. You've already gone and stripped it down, but just a thought.

Wookski

by Wookski

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:35 pm
given the starting point and the components... I think there's a lot of weight you can trim, but I don't thinkyou'll get it down to the 15 pound mark wihout some considerable weight weenie parts. That frame and fork is just too heavy.
Agree- my spooky frame weighs around 1,600g and has been rolled in $10K of glitter to bring the total build under 6kg :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grahus

by grahus

That bike was acquired by me a few years ago and not much thought given to the fit, so lowering the stack and changing the stem will help me anyway.
Bikes:

Road: Project-X Pro Carbon (7.2kg) | Bianchi via Narone (bare metal project)
MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

grahus

by grahus

Stripped and ready to start building...

Stripped Frame
Stripped Frame
Bianchi down to the metal...
Bianchi down to the metal...

There are still a few small blemishes of the old paint, but they are in out of the way places so I'll not lose sleep over it.
The frame was stripped with several coats of Nitromors over a couple of days, then wire wool and Aluminium Wet & Dry paper (220/400 grit) evened out the surface, and finally some 3M type pads were used to give it the final brushed look.

I am noticing that finger prints are quite visible on the surface, so the plan is toleave the finish as it is now, see how it fares over the next few weeks and decide whether to do something different with the finish after that.

The old (heavy) fork is going back on until I find something lighter.

Frame is 1592g
Fork is 550g
(Probably on the wrong forum with these weights....)
Last edited by grahus on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

I stripped an ally frame back in the day and gave it a brushed finish; it was cool how it got polished in places over the years. Wabi-sabi.

grahus

by grahus

Did you just leave it un-coated? And how did you do the final brushing?
Bikes:

silvalis

by silvalis

Are you going to put a "Bianchi" decal on the downtube?
Chasse patate

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

When I stripped my alloy bike, I found that the frame material showed a tarnish if I left it sitting for too long. I ended up having a friend clear coat the frame at his auto body shop.

grahus

by grahus

Yes, I plan to put a solid black one on the downtube, probably a smaller one on chain or seat stay, and a head-badge on the steerer tube.

And maybe a little Italian flag if i'm feeling cheeky!
Bikes:

grahus

by grahus

I am half thinking I might put a Campagnolo Chorus group on this build, never tried Campag before and I like the idea of something different.

Looking at Chorus most due to price, although the weight is nice and low too. Would I regret buying used Chorus (10spd?) or should I just get relatively modern/new 11spd?

Not much idea what works with what in Campagnolo, but i'm sure it cant be too difficult to check.
Bikes:

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

ten speed chorus was pretty decent, even had more features than it's successor. Back in those days, chorus was 2nd tier group, now it's third. So, it was pretty damn close to record. Ie.: 10speed chorus calipers were micro-ball-bearing with concealed pivot bolt, 11speed chorus calipers were practically identical in arms with centaur..

10speed cassettes offer very good ratios (13-26, 13-29) for little money (40 euros..)
10speed cassettes even shift better with 11spd chains, so I'd opt for the latter.

One rule of thumb: the choice dependent mostly on ergonomics of the levers: try both 10speed and later 11speed grips. Pick the one you feel more comfortable-secure. Or, if you opt for 10 speed, you can still get 2010 UltraShift Centaur levers: those are ball-bearing models with the same ultra shift feature as record-superrekord-chorus..

Oh, and for compatibility: 10speed levers are universal. They will work with anytzhing from 2001 till 2014. (so, you can run 11speed but pre2015 derailers with 10 speed levers). The front shifting is also very tolerant, especially older 10 speed levers without quick-shift feature =those worked like pretty similar to friction levers, with 13 different positions :)

themidge

by themidge

vejnemojnen wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm
Oh, and for compatibility: 10speed levers are universal. They will work with anytzhing from 2001 till 2014. (so, you can run 11speed but pre2015 derailers with 10 speed levers).
Just to clarify the slightly odd wording of that sentence, you can use 10 speed levers with pre-2015 derailleurs on a 10 speed cassette. You cannot get a 10 speed shifter working on an 11 speed cassette without a new ratchet in the shifter, which you used to be able to get from some guy on t'internet, but not any more. Also pre and post 2015 11 speed stuff doesn't mix, except chainsets but pretty much all 11 speed chainsets work with each other.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

:) Only omitted the 10spd cassette, as I thought it was obvious.

But thanks for clarification. :welcome:

grahus

by grahus

Good info, thanks.

And if I want to mix and match Chorus/Record (11spd) or Chorus/Record (10spd), assuming all post-2015, it should be fine?
Bikes:

themidge

by themidge

Wait what? All post 2015 chorus and record stuff is eleven speed, you have to go back to like 2009 or something to get ten speed.

I don't have any experience directly with these groups, this is just what I've learned whiling away the hours on here.
To make it as simple as possible, all older (not new, you don't want that anyway) 10 speed is compatible between tiers. Pre 2015 11 speed is not compatible with post 2015 11 speed. Rear derailleurs from pre 2015 11 speed can be used for 10 speed, and vice versa.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com