Bianchi...naked frame project.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grahus

by grahus

Now that I have been putting together a carbon bike as a different project, my older aluminuim Bianchi via Narone (2010) is in need of a revamp!!!

At present I dont have a pic of my actual bike, but it looks something like this...

The complete bike weighs in at about 9.5kg at the moment, all component weights are unknown (but lets call them 'heavy'). It has a mixture of FSA/Sora parts and Bianchi Own Brand cockpit. I actually quite like how the frame rides, but I want to change the look of it and upgrade most of the components to give it a new lease of life (and yes, I know this may make it 'feel' different).

So, what I want to do, is strip the frame back to bare aluminium and leave it like that, probably with a slightly 'brushed' look, for no other reason than I just fancy doing it. Then I will rebuild using some donor parts from the carbon bike which is in the process of being de-weighted....or I might just go with a 1 x setup for a bit.

It's all a bit of an unknown at the moment, until I get it stripped down. I think when i get all the paint off I will have a clearer picture in my mind of what I want.

Does anyone have a ballpark weight for a basic aluminum frame? I know these frames had a reasonable reputation of being solid and dependable, but I can't find a weight for it anywhere. I am hoping that this nice, thick, Bianchi paint will weigh a fair bit, as it's coming off... :D

All comments greatfully received...
Attachments
bianchi-via-narone7-big.JPG
Bikes:

Road: Project-X Pro Carbon (7.2kg) | Bianchi via Narone (bare metal project)
MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

Rascal

by Rascal

I did the same with a used Cannondale about 20 years ago. I stripped and polished to a mirror sheen and bought some fresh decals and applied. Seeking info and not finding, I emailed the serial number to Cannondale and asked for info and specs. They replied in a few weeks via snail-mail. It’s worth a try in your situation...
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grahus

by grahus

Ok #Rascal, thanks for the suggestion. How did your experiment turn out, were you happy with it?
Bikes:

MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

Rascal

by Rascal

Yes, it was my first road bike as I sought to add to my much mountain biking (and road biking) on my 1992 Klein Rascal. I still have that Cannondale frame hanging in the garage and thinking I may turn it into a single speed bike...
Attachments
D47E42F3-E210-4FF3-9B07-3A10D1FB5373.jpeg
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

grahus

by grahus

@Rascal...nice.

I think the raw brushed look is the one for me though, with black components and the wheels off my Project-X build (which will be getting black carbon rims soon).
Bikes:

grahus

by grahus

All components off, ready to remove that 'lovely' paint job,,,
Pretty heavy frame though!!
Attachments
IMG_3357.JPG
IMG_3424.JPG
Bikes:

silvalis

by silvalis

Looking forward to this, because I miss my bianchi and was considering picking up one of these (or the carbon stay version...)
Chasse patate

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

AFAIK, these frames are anything but worthy of the name Bianchi. Even the forks weigh a ton.

grahus

by grahus

vejnemojnen wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 am
AFAIK, these frames are anything but worthy of the name Bianchi. Even the forks weigh a ton.
@vejnemojnen... wow, just shoot me down in flames :|

And you are correct, the forks weigh about 550g...
Bikes:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I did this with a Specialized DSW smartweld Allez.. The frame was 1250g with paint. It came down to 1100g. Fully built, with DA9000 components, it weghs 15.2 pounds or so.

grahus

by grahus

So there is hope??
Bikes:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

grahus wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 pm
So there is hope??
hope of what? if you think you can get that bike down to 15 pounds, good luck. My frame started at 1250... yours is at 1600+. That Bianchi is not the same as a DSW Allez. It can lose weight, but I don't think it will ever be light.

grahus

by grahus

It might come down in weight considerably depending what goes back on, but the aim for this bike was to get a more basic looking aluminium raw look to the build.
Bikes:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

given the starting point and the components... I think there's a lot of weight you can trim, but I don't thinkyou'll get it down to the 15 pound mark wihout some considerable weight weenie parts. That frame and fork is just too heavy.

joejack951

by joejack951

grahus wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm
the aim for this bike was to get a more basic looking aluminium raw look to the build.
Keep that as your primary goal and you'll be neither disappointed or broke at the end. Go too far down the weight weenie hole and you may fail on both accounts :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com