Bianchi...naked frame project.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
themidge

by themidge

To be honest, that frame doesn't appear to fit you very well, with that upturned stem and spacer tower. It might it be better to sell it as a whole bike (maybe £150, probably more like £100) and buy a similar but better fitting bike for around the same price and start the project again. You've already gone and stripped it down, but just a thought.
:hello:
Cannondale Supersix 2008 (weight: 7.3kg)
B'twin Triban 540 (in bits)
Vitus "Benotto" 979 (weight: :? )

Wookski

by Wookski

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:35 pm
given the starting point and the components... I think there's a lot of weight you can trim, but I don't thinkyou'll get it down to the 15 pound mark wihout some considerable weight weenie parts. That frame and fork is just too heavy.
Agree- my spooky frame weighs around 1,600g and has been rolled in $10K of glitter to bring the total build under 6kg :shock:

grahus

by grahus

That bike was acquired by me a few years ago and not much thought given to the fit, so lowering the stack and changing the stem will help me anyway.
Bikes:

Road: Project-X Pro Carbon (7.2kg) | Bianchi via Narone (bare metal project)
MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

grahus

by grahus

Stripped and ready to start building...

IMG_4306.JPG
Stripped Frame
IMG_4310.JPG
Bianchi down to the metal...

There are still a few small blemishes of the old paint, but they are in out of the way places so I'll not lose sleep over it.
The frame was stripped with several coats of Nitromors over a couple of days, then wire wool and Aluminium Wet & Dry paper (220/400 grit) evened out the surface, and finally some 3M type pads were used to give it the final brushed look.

I am noticing that finger prints are quite visible on the surface, so the plan is toleave the finish as it is now, see how it fares over the next few weeks and decide whether to do something different with the finish after that.

The old (heavy) fork is going back on until I find something lighter.

Frame is 1592g
Fork is 550g
(Probably on the wrong forum with these weights....)
Last edited by grahus on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

I stripped an ally frame back in the day and gave it a brushed finish; it was cool how it got polished in places over the years. Wabi-sabi.

grahus

by grahus

Did you just leave it un-coated? And how did you do the final brushing?
Bikes:

silvalis

by silvalis

Are you going to put a "Bianchi" decal on the downtube?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

When I stripped my alloy bike, I found that the frame material showed a tarnish if I left it sitting for too long. I ended up having a friend clear coat the frame at his auto body shop.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

grahus

by grahus

Yes, I plan to put a solid black one on the downtube, probably a smaller one on chain or seat stay, and a head-badge on the steerer tube.

And maybe a little Italian flag if i'm feeling cheeky!
Bikes: