Thru Axle creaking normal?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

Hellow everyone.

My father bought himself a new bike with disc brakes.
In the first rides he did with the bike he had already a creaking noise. These problems can happen with new bikes so we double checked everything and even installed a new BB but the creaking stayed.
After some trial and error we came to the conclusion that the creaking stops for a period when he undo the rear thru axle en reinstal it. After a couple of hours the creaking comes back en when he repeats this proces the creaking is again gone for some hours.
We checked the rear thru axle and everything looks fine, put on some grease and close it hard enough.
We went back with the bike to the bikeshop and the owner said that creaking thru axles are normal???

jlok

by jlok

I had it and cured by applying necessary grease and reinstall below parts:

rotor
rear hub internals and thru axle adapters
cassette
RD hanger
RD

basically all the parts related to drive train.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dricked

by dricked

Mine don’t creak. Are they over/under tightened maybe? Not sure how you’d get a creak from them.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

The rear thru axle creaked on the Canyon Aeroad Disc I had last year. Greasing the axle and tightening it up hard stopped the noise. I actually thought it was the BB making noise, but it wasn't.

Miller

by Miller

Yeah, on plain screw-in thru-axles I found they have to be nipped up pretty tight to avoid creaking. QRs can creak so it shouldn't be shocking that thru-axles can too. New tech doesn't necessarily get rid of an old problem.