Ultegra R8000 with Jagwire elite link? Hit or miss

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hi WW,
I know that R8000 has the special rear derailleur cable that is made out of a different material.
I was wondering if Jagwire elite link cables would work with this derailleur.
Last edited by JScycle on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

moyboy

by moyboy

Special Cable? You should be fine.
Just smoother like the Dura Ace cables. Polymer coated.

Lots of Jagwire Elite Link DA builds out there with no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

I believe @JScycle is referring to the piece of butter housing that is included with the rear derailleur. Shimano recommends using that piece of housing because it is very flexible and can make the bend from the frame to the derailleur.

While I haven't done so myself, I suspect that using a link-type of housing will work fine. One of the benefits touted by the link-type housings is that they can work in tighter bends than traditional housing.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

In my experience, it hasn't. I tried to get it to work but on my CAAD12 it doesn't allow the barrel adjuster to move. If you can get the tension right by pulling the cable sure, but the bend is just too difficult for the stiffer housing to make and ends up with a permanent bend in it.

This was a little short-sighted on Shimano's part because even with the correct housing, it is still a bitch to get the right length.

JScycle

by JScycle

MoreRideTime wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 pm
I believe @JScycle is referring to the piece of butter housing that is included with the rear derailleur. Shimano recommends using that piece of housing because it is very flexible and can make the bend from the frame to the derailleur.

While I haven't done so myself, I suspect that using a link-type of housing will work fine. One of the benefits touted by the link-type housings is that they can work in tighter bends than traditional housing.
Yeh I am referring to the special cable that is supplied. True I guess the link cables purpose (tighter bends) suggests it will work.
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 pm
In my experience, it hasn't. I tried to get it to work but on my CAAD12 it doesn't allow the barrel adjuster to move. If you can get the tension right by pulling the cable sure, but the bend is just too difficult for the stiffer housing to make and ends up with a permanent bend in it.

This was a little short-sighted on Shimano's part because even with the correct housing, it is still a bitch to get the right length.
Hmm, that is really interesting. I wonder what makes the link section different to a normal cable when talking about the end close to the barrel adjuster.
I'm assuming you are talking about the link cables and not just normal gear outer vs extra flexy gear outer.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Did you mean the barrel adjuster wouldn't move with the link housing or the Shimano housing? I have a CAAD12 frame and was planning to build it up with R8000, so your experience is very pertinent.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

The housing it is supplied with has quite a bit more flex to it and allows the barrel adjuster to flex it as it moves up or down. The Jagwire will not. Don't worry about getting it right on your Caad12 because the rear derailleur is supplied with enough of it for 5 builds over. The length is just more important on this edition than prior.

JScycle

by JScycle

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm
The housing it is supplied with has quite a bit more flex to it and allows the barrel adjuster to flex it as it moves up or down. The Jagwire will not. Don't worry about getting it right on your Caad12 because the rear derailleur is supplied with enough of it for 5 builds over. The length is just more important on this edition than prior.
I thought the Jagwire Elite Link cables were really flexible and that is why they are able to make such tight bends

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

JScycle wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:08 am
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm
I thought the Jagwire Elite Link cables were really flexible and that is why they are able to make such tight bends
It may have enough, I'm not sure, but I am sure normal housing won't work. Also, there isn't really room to fit many of the links in order to make a bend with the CAAD. To be on the safe side I'd recommend just using the supplied anyways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com