Custom length stem, anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone know of where you can order a custom length stem (possibly angle to)?
I look for a 95mm, i know Tune makes one, but part from that i know on none.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about getting a 90 or 100 and move the seat 5 mm forward or backward? It's not perfect but may be an ok compromise.

/a

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Or change the bar, one with a different reach.

I know Ti stems can be made to order. Try TiCycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Moots also does custom Ti stems, either in their regular or RSL configurations. Not cheap. At one time Chris King was also doing custom steel stems under the Cielo brand but I believe that is done.

The OCD person in me wishes there was a 115 stem option. Then I could have the saddle-center of bars reach identical on every bike I own! At one time Deda produced the Newton stem in 5mm increments and I used to have a 115 around but it left on a bike I sold.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:31 pm
How about getting a 90 or 100 and move the seat 5 mm forward or backward? It's not perfect but may be an ok compromise.

/a
No. It's not.

You set the saddle position relative to the BB. Then you set the bars where you need them. You don't move the saddle to adjust reach.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Change the bar. Different brands are usually 5mm off from each other.
2016 Diverge Expert

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Not many stock options
stem.JPG

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You'd better measure the thickness of your different bibs chamoises and gloves, because you'll be off by a few mm depending on which one you use, and how old they are. :D

I have a 95mm stem but it's over 7 degrees alloy noname (maybe 17 degrees). Perhaps the length is a result of running a steeper angle and that it loses a few mm compared to a 100mm 7 degree stem. (I'm still measuring along the stem middle on it's side, from center to center. Not the horizontal tangent.)

If you are running headset spacers or have some room to add a spacer you could go a bit steeper/shallower on the angle you have and add/remove one spacer to produce the length you need without changing stack.

/a

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

You should measure few stems from same brand to find something for you. I believe there is manufacturing tolerances of few mm for every brand due to welding.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

istigatrice

by istigatrice

^This.

3T Arx and Arx ii stems are generally longer than other brands. I've had 120mm 3T stems measure 126mm, and 100mm stems measure 104mm. Might be worth taking a trip down to the bike shop with a set of calipers.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

istigatrice

by istigatrice

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 am
You'd better measure the thickness of your different bibs chamoises and gloves, because you'll be off by a few mm depending on which one you use, and how old they are. :D
While different brand/age kit may have slight tolerances I highly doubt they'd be in the order of a few mm. Even if they did vary a few mm, your bike fit is a constant, so there's no reason to have it constantly wrong.
alcatraz wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 am

If you are running headset spacers or have some room to add a spacer you could go a bit steeper/shallower on the angle you have and add/remove one spacer to produce the length you need without changing stack.

/a
You usually get back to square 1 by doing this. The 17 degree stem *should* be longer if they're measured the same, but if you need to add spacers underneath the stem that'll decrease the effective reach of the frame. So you gain some length but you lose it too.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Fiery

by Fiery

The manufacturing (forging) process is such that it cannot provide lower tolerances without discarding a large percentage of produced pieces. Those millimetre-increment Sky stems? I’d bet they weren’t getting custom produced items, they were just having them measured more precisely.

But your various body dimensions change by millimetres or more throughout the course of the day anyway, not to mention chamois thickness, glove padding, saddle padding and so on. No bike fit is constant to the millimetre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If I stretch for 60 seconds before a ride my bike is very comfy while being aero. If I don't I feel very awkward. If I don't ride for 2 weeks my fit is changed and so on. You must really be quite advanced if 100 is too long and 90 is too short.

About the stem. Without knowing the configuration it's hard to talk possibilities.

If you have a 100mm -7 degree and look for 95mm. By adding a 5-10mm spacer and going -17 degree 100mm the effective length has shortened by a few millimeters.

The previous poster probably had a different change in mind and got stuck when effective length and fork tube angle cancel out. Not always...

/a