Sarto Owner Impressions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

853guy

by 853guy

Hello,

I'd like to canvas the opinions of Sarto owners as to your impressions of your bikes.

I've been planning a custom build, and had been rather smitten with the idea of an XCr frame. However, I've ridden various steel bikes forever, and think it may be time for a change. It is the 21st Century, after all.

In particular, I'd be keen to know how your Sarto climbs and descends, and the overall ride quality relative to other bikes (carbon or otherwise) you may have owned. From all reports, their build quality and customer service seems to be rated highly, so please feel free to share your experiences there too.

Thanks in advance!

853guy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

I bought a custom Sarto Dinamica last year but haven't had a chance to build it yet so can't comment on the ride quality. Aesthetically I wasn't as impressed as I thought I might be and also felt it was a tad overbuilt with aluminium reinforcements on the rear dropouts and aluminum head tube inserts all of which were an un-necessary addition to the weight.

However my biggest gripe is with the Sarto customer service. I had specified a colour coded headset top cap with the frame but this wasn't supplied so a quick call to the UK dealer who assured me that a quick lick of paint and I'd have it fairly soon. That lick of paint took three months by which time the riding season for posh Italian bikes had melted into Autumn, hence the reason it still hasn't been assembled. Also the scews provided to hold the electronic cable ports in place were the wrong size, a fact that took several emails and photos to persuade Sarto to post out the correct length replacements. So a mixed bag of impressions from me.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

853guy

by 853guy

liam7020 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm
I bought a custom Sarto Dinamica last year but haven't had a chance to build it yet so can't comment on the ride quality. Aesthetically I wasn't as impressed as I thought I might be and also felt it was a tad overbuilt with aluminium reinforcements on the rear dropouts and aluminum head tube inserts all of which were an un-necessary addition to the weight.

However my biggest gripe is with the Sarto customer service. I had specified a colour coded headset top cap with the frame but this wasn't supplied so a quick call to the UK dealer who assured me that a quick lick of paint and I'd have it fairly soon. That lick of paint took three months by which time the riding season for posh Italian bikes had melted into Autumn, hence the reason it still hasn't been assembled. Also the scews provided to hold the electronic cable ports in place were the wrong size, a fact that took several emails and photos to persuade Sarto to post out the correct length replacements. So a mixed bag of impressions from me.
Hi Liam,

Thanks for your reply. It's great to have another data point.

Of course, when considering bikes of lesser ubiquity, it's difficult to know whether anomalies are outliers or par for the course. With a lesser sample group to draw from conclusions become more difficult to reach - so I very much appreciate your candor.

I'm considering the Seta, all mechanical, Gipfelstrums or Boras.

Hopefully we might get some more feedback.

Thanks again, Liam.

853guy

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have one of campagnolo bike which is a Sarto ventilation. Sarto say it is there comfortable frame well I get a better ride of my look 795 however this is still a nice bike just not one for 200 mile ride. It climbs very well and wants to be ridden fast. It corners very well. It feels fine for rides up to 100 miles. Part of the problem is the saddle I have on it. The 35mm alloy bars might be another contributing factor. I need to buy another Berk saddle. I really enjoy riding it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It's a Sarto vento. F******predictive text is really getting on my wick.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I also can't edit f******* posts on this forum on my phone.

853guy

by 853guy

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 pm
I have one of campagnolo bike which is a Sarto ventilation. Sarto say it is there comfortable frame well I get a better ride of my look 795 however this is still a nice bike just not one for 200 mile ride. It climbs very well and wants to be ridden fast. It corners very well. It feels fine for rides up to 100 miles. Part of the problem is the saddle I have on it. The 35mm alloy bars might be another contributing factor. I need to buy another Berk saddle. I really enjoy riding it.
Hi bm0p700f,

Thanks for your comments.

Hmm, two data points thus far, and somewhat at odds with the glowing reviews one can find online (though short of outright contradiction - given Liam's above contains non-riding impressions only).

Again, I come back to my above comments apropos small sample sizes: Are your impressions indicative more of Sarto's build quality and ride/handling balance; or more indicative of your preferences expressed as opinions; or, a bit of both?

If anyone else has any impressions, I'd certainly welcome them.

Perhaps though, like most things high-end of low volume, a personalized introduction may be in order. Padua looks lovely this time of year.

Thanks to both of you.

853guy

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Just built a 2016 Dinamica with chorus group set, bora ultra 35& dead supperleggero Rs cockpit & seatpost weighs about 7.13kg. My current Bike Specialized Tarmac comp 2017 weighs about the same.
How is the ride ? Agile , light & suprisingly comfortable .It feels so much lighter climbing uphill compare to my Tarmac comp
I strongly suggest to look into BBinfinite pressfit 86 bottom bracket with Ceramitech bearings. It really spins so well
Attachments
B9A1D03F-39E0-433F-87EC-016E80A531E0.jpeg
1992C7D6-A9A5-45E4-B573-D2DDBB6F6B37.jpeg

guyc

by guyc

Was that custom made for you? That’s a lot of spacers...

Svetty

by Svetty

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:22 pm
I also can't edit f******* posts on this forum on my phone.
Me neither - maddening isn't it!

TonyM

by TonyM

audioblazer wrote:Just built a 2016 Dinamica with chorus group set, bora ultra 35& dead supperleggero Rs cockpit & seatpost weighs about 7.13kg. My current Bike Specialized Tarmac comp 2017 weighs about the same.
How is the ride ? Agile , light & suprisingly comfortable .It feels so much lighter climbing uphill compare to my Tarmac comp
I strongly suggest to look into BBinfinite pressfit 86 bottom bracket with Ceramitech bearings. It really spins so well
Wow how many spacers do you have?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The sarto is more of a crit racer/climbing/decending bike where as the Look is perfect for 12hr/ 24hr TT and that what I use it for as well as circuit racing. I have the same tyres on both but not the same wheels although the inner width of the rims are the same and so are the spoke count and the spoke and hubs too. The position on both bikes is almost identical given the difference in frame geometries.

I just notice the rough roads more on the sarto than on the look. not sure exactly why. it maybe difference in geometry or something else. I feel it at the bars and the saddle hense having done a 100 mile ride on it I cannot imaging gdoing a 12hr TT on it.

The national 12hr TT on the 17th June is on the A38 and that road it rough. There are cracks across the road where tarmac is covering the old concrete surface so its thump thump thump , not a road I could ride the sarto on. It bad enough on the Look.

Still since most ride are not more than 100 miles the Sarto is a cracking bike and the problem is not the bike its the u.k detorating road surfaces. Soon I will be using the 29er for road rides (its getting that bad).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I was wrong the sarto is fine on longer rides. I have just finished a 359km ride on it and it awesome in every way.