Lemond Build Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

severinj

by severinj

New to the forum. Expecting some brutality on this as I come from triathlon :)

Recently bought a '02 Lemond Zurich that is partially upgraded with modern components. I am over the moon with this bike and am now scrutinizing every part of the build to make it my dream bike. My goal ultimately is to paint it satin black and reapply lemond gold decals. I added the redshift dual position seatpost and aero system so I am planning to use it interchangeably as my tri bike and roadie. My ask for the forum is for your input on recommended parts to accomplish the following in order of importance:
  • make it look fly as shit in black and gold
    be able to find used parts for reasonable prices on ebay or craigslist (looking to invest max of 1k)
    lighten weight from current build if possible
    improve aerodynamics from current build if possible
Current specs:
Frame: 02 Lemond Zurich
Fork: Stock Lemond
Groupset: 10 spd 2013 ultegra
Wheels: Stock Bontrager x-lites
Bars: Basic aluminum drops with the redshift clip on aerobars
Stem: Giant aluminum
Saddle: Diamondback stock
Seatpost: redshift dual position

Any advice appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

your budget counts me out...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

severinj

by severinj

Does an extra 500 sweeten the deal for you or am I too much of a pauper to waste your time with?

ergott

by ergott

Get some Sram Force and some Chinese carbon wheels.

As far as it being "fly as s**t", that's a matter of personal preference. To me, less is more. Don't try to get all matchy with tires, bar tape, and cable houseing.

severinj

by severinj

Any recommendations on specific chinese carbon wheels?

ergott

by ergott

Do some searching. More fun than having everything spelled out for you. There are threads right here in WW (wheels section) that will get you started.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Can you build your own wheels? BDOP's DIY Novatec/Kinlin XR31 kit at $320 shipped wouldn't give up all that much weight or aero advantage to Chinese carbon wheels. For $700 shipped you can get a full Ultegra R8000 groupset.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy% ... %20III.asp

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod161437

severinj

by severinj

Can't build wheels unfortunately so looking for either new chinese carbon recommendations (make and model because this is a totally new world for me) or recommendations on used wheels that give you some bang for the buck provided they are in good shape.

2lo8

by 2lo8

I think those old Lemonds had aluminium steerer forks? You're looking at ~200g savings by switching to a full carbon one for ~$150 if you get a fork from bikeisland/bikesdirect. I don't know what the wheels weight, but they might be decently light. If they are in the 1500g range I wouldn't bother to change them. The dual position seatpost is an anchor if can get away without using it. You can save another ~200g for $15 by buying a cheap light aluminum seatpost. Guessing 30-40g or so by swapping the stem with a light weight UNO for $20. $10 TI skewers will saves you ~50g. Make sure you're actually running racing slicks.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

severinj wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Recently bought a '02 Lemond Zurich that is partially upgraded with modern components. I am over the moon with this bike and am now scrutinizing every part of the build to make it my dream bike. My goal ultimately is to paint it satin black and reapply lemond gold decals. I added the redshift dual position seatpost and aero system so I am planning to use it interchangeably as my tri bike and roadie. My ask for the forum is for your input on recommended parts to accomplish the following in order of importance:
    be able to find used parts for reasonable prices on ebay or craigslist (looking to invest max of 1k)
Current specs:

Any advice appreciated.
Black/Gold shit that flies must come from a very special monkey .
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

severinj

by severinj

He really is special. His name is Toby and he is making us a fortune. You'll see him on Kimmel in the next month.

severinj

by severinj

2lo8 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm
I think those old Lemonds had aluminium steerer forks? You're looking at ~200g savings by switching to a full carbon one for ~$150 if you get a fork from bikeisland/bikesdirect. I don't know what the wheels weight, but they might be decently light. If they are in the 1500g range I wouldn't bother to change them. The dual position seatpost is an anchor if can get away without using it. You can save another ~200g for $15 by buying a cheap light aluminum seatpost. Guessing 30-40g or so by swapping the stem with a light weight UNO for $20. $10 TI skewers will saves you ~50g. Make sure you're actually running racing slicks.
Awesome advice. The fork, stem, and skewers are no brainers. The seatpost is low hanging fruit but has to stay. Trying to offset that brick with savings elsewhere. The wheels are older, crunchy, and I think closer to 16-1700 so they are in the crosshairs. Any recommendations there either used or new?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

severinj wrote:Does an extra 500 sweeten the deal for you or am I too much of a pauper to waste your time with?
It’s not about wasting time.. I just don’t have the knowledge of what’s out there within the budget restrictions.. I’m sure others will know more. GL with the project.

"fly as shit" = money to me
Last edited by spdntrxi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

These would be a fairly cheap wheelset for the weight, especially combined with one of Nashbar's frequent sales, and also let you use latex tubes for a 1 watt per wheel advantage on rolling resistance (latex tubes are generally frowned upon in carbon non-disc rims).

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/par ... slr11-base

Might be another 20-25 grams of weight savings removing the rather thick decals as well.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

severinj wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Current specs:

Any advice appreciated.
I have FSA bar/stem/cranks(172.5),Selle Italia saddle,FSA brakes and Vision Tri-Max 35 carbon/aluminum wheels that I don't want.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com