power meter for R9100 crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hey guys,

I'm in pretty dire need of power meter for my Venge. I currently have the 180mm DA R9100 crankset installed and I got used to long cranks (that alone causes some trouble, more below). I've been using 180mm cranks for more than 2 years now (my previous bike has them too), so please don't make me try shorter ones.

Now, when I was building the bike the plan was to wait for Vectors 3, which were supposed to launch somewhere near September/October last year. Didn't happen, the pedals are still not widely available; at least my LBS didn't get their share and they've ordered 5 pairs long time ago.

Where it comes to my options, I don't have many (at least not that I'm aware of):
  1. Favero Assioma Duo - available, pretty cheap, a lot of good reviews; they got these pod things and I don't know if it's good or bad, haven't seen the pedals in person
  2. Garmin Vector 3 - I could wait some more (how long?), maybe Garmin will figure things out eventually; there's a lot of mixed reviews on the internet but as far as I'm aware few shops in Poland that have received their didn't get warranty claims yet
  3. Shimano R9100-P crankset - I've heard the 180mm version isn't really coming anytime soon (if ever) + I've read about some issues with L/R balance
  4. Specialized crank (without power) + power2max NG - I don't really like the look of the "old" road crank and the new one doesn't come in 180mm (well, in theory it does, but I haven't seen one)
  5. Specialized Power Crank - as far as I know it won't be available till Autumn, maybe; even if it comes out I doubt the 180mm will be available
  6. Quarq DFour91 - there's 177.5mm version, maybe it would be okay, but I can't really find it anywhere
Please help, I got to be missing something...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Favero seems the most logical option.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

moyboy

by moyboy

I too was looking at the same options minus specialized ones.
I managed to get a set of Vector 3's last week.

I searched the internet for places that had stock and as to be put on a waiting list.

So far they've been working well. My other option would have been the Assioma or powertap as I have several bikes and the pedal option was best.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

The thing with Faveros is I can't really see them before buying so I have no clue if I find the pods discouraging or troublesome. Some people find it hard to clip in and out.
Vectors look sleek, just like a normal pedal but learning curve seems a bit high. Then there's PowerTap P1 option, but pedals look just too big.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Got a P2M NG Eco with the newer generation Shimano rings (Ultegra 8000, but Dura-Ace 9100 would fit just the same and be lighter) and am very satisfied with the fit, finish and quality. You end up with a Rotor 3D 24 crank, the P2M spider and the Shimano rings. Performs same and shifts as well as stock Shimano, and seems sturdy and well built. As easy to take on and off as stock Shimano crankset, too.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Bordcla wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm
Got a P2M NG Eco with the newer generation Shimano rings (Ultegra 8000, but Dura-Ace 9100 would fit just the same and be lighter) and am very satisfied with the fit, finish and quality. You end up with a Rotor 3D 24 crank, the P2M spider and the Shimano rings. Performs same and shifts as well as stock Shimano, and seems sturdy and well built. As easy to take on and off as stock Shimano crankset, too.
I have p2m on my current bike. It's brilliant, I wholeheartedly recommend it. However, p2m with Rotor 3D24 crank won't work for me, they come in max length of 175mm. I have emailed the p2m support to make sure. I know there are other models that got 180mm cranks but they require different BB and I don't really want to go that deep. If I could get "new" Specialized road cranks in 180mm I would strongly consider p2m.

jwalther

by jwalther

Buy used Vector 2s as a bridge until the 3s are sorted and widely available?
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

Seedster

by Seedster

R&A Cycles has the Garmin Vector 3S Power meter and ship internationally.

The dual sided version is currently on backorder. I know they get a ton of them so may be worth calling and asking their expected replenishment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slake21

by slake21

how about 4iiii podium?