TCR-Repaint or run it nude?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

I’ve heard great things about TCR from my friends who rides them. But I can’t stand the paint scheme.

Anyone here stripped the paint and run it nude carbon or repaint it?

Probably running it nude would be the lightweight thing to do, but not sure how pretty the carbon layup look though.

And if repainting, any reputable shop in Northern California that strips and paint without adding too much weight?

Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZR3

by AZR3

I stripped the paint off my Evo Hi-MOD and although it was a lot of work I’d do it again, love the nude look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

addictR1

by addictR1

Noctiluxx: i'm not digging the sunweb version.. :D
AZR3: do you have a post on how you did it? love to see how it looks..

AZR3

by AZR3

I posted a few pics in the gallery board in the “show me your dales” thread. If you search there are a few others who have done the same.
I used a razor blade, well a lot of razor blades, to scrape all the paint off. It’s time consuming, I think with the fork and frame I had about 30 hours or so into it before I felt it was ready for clear.

shotgun

by shotgun

I stripped a 2008 TCR awhile back, it was a T-Mobile ISP. It can out pretty nice IMHO. Used gloss clearcoat
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

addictR1

by addictR1

AZR3 wrote:I posted a few pics in the gallery board in the “show me your dales” thread. If you search there are a few others who have done the same.
I used a razor blade, well a lot of razor blades, to scrape all the paint off. It’s time consuming, I think with the fork and frame I had about 30 hours or so into it before I felt it was ready for clear.

Wow 30hrs.. couldn’t you just use some sprayed on paint remover?

MoPho

by MoPho

I just used spray paint on my TCR, came out great and people keep asking me if is factory paint LOL 8)

AZR3

by AZR3

addictR1 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 am
AZR3 wrote:I posted a few pics in the gallery board in the “show me your dales” thread. If you search there are a few others who have done the same.

Wow 30hrs.. couldn’t you just use some sprayed on paint remover?

Nope, you can’t use paint stripper on carbon. There is one that is carbon safe, carbolift, but that didn’t seem to do much at all when I tried it and it’s a messy process

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I stripped my evo. Looks great. Not sure abiut the tcr layup but the main tubes are likely ud so should looking okay. The reinforcing might be less clean or use filler - you can spray these areas black and blend them into the clear.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I stripped my 2011 TCR. Let me lookup the thread.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jorisee01

by jorisee01

viewtopic.php?t=139807

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks jorisee01 for the link. looks like overall the weight reduction from paint was 101g for frame + fork. thought the pain was heavier but guess not. your final result on the TCR looks clean!! love it!

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

on this same subject (sorry I hope this doesnt look like a hijack), I'm planning to remove some decals under the clearcoat on some giant carbon bars.

What clear coat do people recommend for carbon after the decals have been sanded off/removed?
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

None, leave it bare.