Upgrade handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asscdi

by Asscdi

I still have my entry alloy handlebars on my bike and thinking of upgrading them.
Meanwhile I may have found some interesting deals: Deda Superleggera Carbon (180g) and Ritchey WCS carbon evo-curved (220g) (both new for approx. 100-120€)
The Superleggera option has my preference but these are smaller than my bars today (42 versus 44).

Should I bother?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

If you do a cost benefit analysis, it will probably not be worth it. You'll drop maybe 30-60 grams for your 120 euros.

Carbon bars are nice. If you decide to buy I just make sure they come from a legit source as these kinds of things are easily copied/faked.

As far as width goes, I used to ride 44 ro 46cm bars but I've come back down to 42s and would probably like 40s. The trend seems to be narrower and it's more aerodynamic.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Some people are more sensitive to bar width than others. I tried 38cm for a while...it was mostly fine, but felt a bit weird out climbing out of the saddle.

I personally think carbon bars are worth it...anecdotally they do seem to damp out smal vibrations better than alloy. Also if you sweat a lot through your palms, alloy bars can potentially succumb to corrosion if unchecked over time.

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Looks like I can reduce weight with 124g, so should be a good deal.
However I have found some concerning reviews mentioning cracking superleggera bars...

I like your feedback regarding bar width. Looks like I should not expect any physical inconveniences.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Asscdi wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:59 pm
I still have my entry alloy handlebars on my bike and thinking of upgrading them.
Meanwhile I may have found some interesting deals: Deda Superleggera Carbon (180g) and Ritchey WCS carbon evo-curved (220g) (both new for approx. 100-120€)
The Superleggera option has my preference but these are smaller than my bars today (42 versus 44).

Should I bother?
Would u please share with me where did u find Superleggera that cheap? Thanks :)

c60rider

by c60rider

I have Superleggera RS carbon bars and alloy Deda Newtons the really deep ones on a couple of bikes. The carbon bars are lovely the only thing I don't like that much about them is the RHM shape. I've discovered I much prefer a traditional bend that you can get with the alloy bars so that might be something to consider as well.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Another Superleggera carbon owner here. Not a fan of flat topped/aero bars, and I prefer a flat transition to the lever hoods, so these bars fit the bill. I find however that the internal routing on my 42cm bars does not play well with my Campag Chorus levers. Something about where the brake cables exit the levers and enter the bars doesn't quite line up. YMMV.

Don't forget that Deda measure their bars outside to outside when comparing with your current setup.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

3Pio

by 3Pio

ManekiNico wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 am
Another Superleggera carbon owner here. Not a fan of flat topped/aero bars, and I prefer a flat transition to the lever hoods, so these bars fit the bill. I find however that the internal routing on my 42cm bars does not play well with my Campag Chorus levers. Something about where the brake cables exit the levers and enter the bars doesn't quite line up. YMMV.

Don't forget that Deda measure their bars outside to outside when comparing with your current setup.

So does that not ideal routing compromise braking/shifting performance on ur setup, or more is aesthetic?

Forgot to add, after coming from alloy bar (Zipp Service Course SL80 which was very flexy), to carbon Easton EC90SLX3 i could not be happier. EC90SLX3 is very stiff, and very comfortable in same moment. Im using Fizik Cyrano R1 stem on this setup, and torqueing with torque wrench and carbon paste. Could not see any damage on the bar/stem contact area. Im using this bar for one year and have about 10000 km on it, and no problems for now.

But curious to try Superleggera bar/stem (i was deciding between Superleggera setup and this one i have now year ago :) ), so maybe i'll order Superleggera as well. But any moment i want to order this setup, i found complaints about cracking issues and not ideal routing problem.

One of the reason i want to order Superleggera (beside aesthetic and little wight reduction), is because is same width on hoods/drops. I feel on my Easton EC90SX3 42 cm in the drops ideal, but a little tight on climbing in the hoods (40.5cm), so maybe 42 hoods/drops will be ideal (Superleggera).
Last edited by 3Pio on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Coming from alloy and going to carbon I just want to warn you that it's much easier to damage the bars. I'm not trying to advise against carbon but you need to be very careful with the stem clamp.

Wether it's original or copy it is possible for the clamp to over time cause compression damage. Make sure you use a stem with enough surface area clamping on the bars and torque it just right with carbon paste. Weight weenie stems often have a small contact surface and even when torqued correctly they can't overcome simple laws of physics. They still dig into the bars and make them useless.

After damaging my bars, being a weenie, I went a different route and just got integrated stem + bars and couldn't be happier. I get a comfier ride and I don't have to worry about the stem/bar joint going over every bump on the road. Crazy light too @250gr for ~50usd... if you choose the right one.

/a

3Pio

by 3Pio

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:26 am
Coming from alloy and going to carbon I just want to warn you that it's much easier to damage the bars. I'm not trying to advise against carbon but you need to be very careful with the stem clamp.

Wether it's original or copy it is possible for the clamp to over time cause compression damage. Make sure you use a stem with enough surface area clamping on the bars and torque it just right with carbon paste. Weight weenie stems often have a small contact surface and even when torqued correctly they can't overcome simple laws of physics. They still dig into the bars and make them useless.

After damaging my bars, being a weenie, I went a different route and just got integrated stem + bars and couldn't be happier. I get a comfier ride and I don't have to worry about the stem/bar joint going over every bump on the road. Crazy light too @250gr for ~50usd... if you choose the right one.

/a

U had issuess with damage on the bar with Superleggera bar/stem? And based on reviews i can see that there was that kind of problem on early version, which was had revision few years ago. So any problems with this new version? (3-4 years old now)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm not attached to any brands in particular. I'm talking about carbon in general. It's not like alloy.

Also depends on your weight, weight distribution on your bike, riding style, road conditions.

You should be ok. Just giving you a heads up. No brand is above the laws of physics. :)

/a

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Anyone tried the Fizik Cyrano R1 or R0 before?
This would be my third option aside the Deda Superleggera or Ritchey WCS Carbon. Easton EC90SLX3 looks good as well, but not available as far I can see.
A good, light alloy set of bars would still be great as well and probably much cheaper...

sooni

by sooni

3Pio wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 am
alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:26 am

/a

U had issuess with damage on the bar with Superleggera bar/stem? And based on reviews i can see that there was that kind of problem on early version, which was had revision few years ago. So any problems with this new version? (3-4 years old now)
Also have a question about Deda Superleggera bars - I just got some from Wiggle. They have rough stem clamp area, round tops, internal routing and SKU DDS42B.

Could anyone tell me if these are the revised version?

Also, not good to hear that these dont work well with Campy Chorus levers, as that was is going to be the build...

Miller

by Miller

I love carbon bars. Never had any issues with clamping them either.

Merlincycles.com has some attractive deals on 3T bars and stems at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ringo

by Ringo

I changed my 3t aeronova with enve compact.
XXTi
C60