Upgrade handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

3Pio wrote:So does that not ideal routing compromise braking/shifting performance on ur setup, or more is aesthetic?
Not aesthetic but functional. I wouldn’t go as far as “compromise“ but it does force the brake housing esp. to make some tight bends in a short space. Hope the photo shows it.
Pro tip: Thread the housing through the bars, insert the housing into the levers THEN rotate the levers into position. Trying to mate the housing to the levers with the levers in position will result in tears and/or profanity. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

I should add that my levers are attached pretty much at the upper end of the clamping area so I get a really flat transition from bars to hoods at the top. If you like your controls further down, the housing’s path into the bars will be less kinked.
Last edited by ManekiNico on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Double post. :evil:

3Pio

by 3Pio

ManekiNico wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:52 pm
I should add that my levers are attached pretty much at the upper end of the clamping area so I get a really flat transition from bars to hoods at the top. If you like your controls further down, the housing’s path into the bars will be less kinked.

Can u please post one pic from the side to check what hood angle/position u have on ur bars? I also prefer flat transition from bars to hoods. Not too high, but still. I first adjust angle of the hoods (i was riding with higher angel, then find out that prefer a bit lower), so then try to get flat transition....

Thanks a lot

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

3Pio wrote:Can u please post one pic from the side to check what hood angle/position u have on ur bars?
Here you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Those channels under the top part of the bar are the best "internal routing" solution IMO. I have 3T Ergonova bars which just have an entry and exit hole for the cables. The hole is so close to the levers that you can't mount them high (Nibali style) even if you wanted to. You would have to rotate the whole bar up.

These types of routing holes have given me the most problems with Campagnolo 11 speed and cable drag resulting in inconsistent shifting. I had some Zipp Vuka sprint bars that were even harder to deal with. I'm going to recable my bike soon and I'm going to skip the internal routing. It's such a PITA. As shown in the pic, sometimes using the outer exit hole on the ergo levers can give you a cable path with less bend.

I've been wondering about Campagnolo's new 12 speed cable set. They are supposed to be slicker, teflon coated. I wonder if they might make it easier for 11 speed installations.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:27 pm
As shown in the pic, sometimes using the outer exit hole on the ergo levers can give you a cable path with less bend.
Definitely! There is just no way the gear cable is exiting on the inside/front of bars. Trust me, I tried. :(

Edited to add: Based on experience, I suggest taking a little wet/dry sandpaper to the edges of the entry/exit holes on these bars. The edges on mine were sharp enough to dig into the housing. Ugh!

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks, I might try that. On the 3T bars though I still think not using the holes will be the best option. I honestly don't really care if the cables are under the bars and taped over. They look just about the same and they never bothered me.

c60rider

by c60rider

ManekiNico wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:43 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:27 pm
As shown in the pic, sometimes using the outer exit hole on the ergo levers can give you a cable path with less bend.
Definitely! There is just no way the gear cable is exiting on the inside/front of bars. Trust me, I tried. :(

Edited to add: Based on experience, I suggest taking a little wet/dry sandpaper to the edges of the entry/exit holes on these bars. The edges on mine were sharp enough to dig into the housing. Ugh!
I managed it though I'm not going to boast about it at all it was really hard to get it to bend round and it kind of snapped into place. I wouldn't recommend trying to do it and would recommend the above going behind the bars. Or maybe external routing it but that defeats the object of internal routing! Though it has a horrible twist to both the gear and brake cables both are very smooth in functioning and an upgrade on my pre 2015 super record externally routed cables so it hasn't compromised the riding sensation though when i come to recable I'll definitely be experimenting where to route the cables and see if any alternatives give better feel/ performance than my current routing. If not I'll fight with them again and do it the same as it certainly looks neat.

sigma

by sigma

Asscdi wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:59 pm
I still have my entry alloy handlebars on my bike and thinking of upgrading them.
Meanwhile I may have found some interesting deals: Deda Superleggera Carbon (180g) and Ritchey WCS carbon evo-curved (220g) (both new for approx. 100-120€)
The Superleggera option has my preference but these are smaller than my bars today (42 versus 44).

Should I bother?
I like carbon bars for the vibration absorption aspect in addition to weight. One piece of advice - the current trend is to go more aero and therefore smaller. I would be careful about making sure the sizing is spot on from a fit perspective. I think it's much more relevant to be comfortable for several hours than potentially pick up a few watts. On a similar note, make sure the fit coordinates you select matches the fit you want as there can be pretty large variations there too between compact and regular bars.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

c60rider

by c60rider

New bar tape slipped on the first ride out on the best bike now that spring finally arrived but it gave me the chance to take a pic of both gear and brake cables exiting on the front of my Superleggera RS bars and then being internally routed. You can see it's a horrible looking twist that the gear cable seems to take but in function it works perfectly I can't fault it. Just an utter pain getting it in there!