Carbon frame clamp protector for bike carrier

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a thule euro classic g3 tow mounted bike carrier
It uses a frame clamp and 2 wheel straps for attachment
I have used it to lug my alloy mtb around but keen to use it for my road bike more as well to save space in the boot.
I have a SL3 tarmac and cannondale evo but tend to use the SL3 more

What do people use to protect their carbon frames to prevent clamp related damage

I was thinking of making a clamshell that I could place around the top tube that would be foam lined to prevent the frame moving but would take all the clamping force. It would not be much wider than the toptube so as not to prevent the clamp from engaging properly. I was thinking about trying to find a steel/alloy tube just slightly larger than the frame cutting in half and adding a hinge and lock.

My other idea was to wrap a bit of foam than some food wrap (glad/saran) around it and casting the shape of the frame with a hard epoxy or even fibreglass to make a shell which would then be split and hinged.

Anyone done this? Other ideas?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

foam pipe insulation?

AJS914

by AJS914

Isn't the clamp rubber and designed not to damage the bike?

The bike is mostly held by the wheels. The top clamp just keeps it from flopping around. You just have to make to go really light with the clamping and not compress the top tube. Put a piece of foam or an old t-shirt around the frame first if you are trying to protect the finish. Still, clamp lightly.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

If the frame slips out the frame will drag on the road held in place by wheel straps this actually happened a mates mtb on my trailer. It might be okay to clamp the frame but they are not meant to be clamped there and the results are the end of frame. Clear tape and foam will do nothing to distribute the force of clamping.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;