New bike brand opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Hello,

Looking to add a new go fast bike to the stable, will see fast solo and group rides as well as a few crits a year. Looking to spend $2,000 to $3,000.
So far the short list is:
Cannondale Evo 105 $2099
Cannondale Evo Ultegra $2599
Scott addict 20 with 105 $1999
Giant Tcr advanced 2 with 105 $1735

Are any brands better than another or any brands to stay away from?

I think I prefer the traditional seat post and band clamp on the Evo and Scott’s as opposed to the proprietary post and set screw on the giant....maybe that is me overthinking it?

Also looking at canyon offerings, but most have discs and I do not think I need them riding in the flatlands...

What do the experts think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Obviously I would test ride these first, just looking for any opinions from people who have seen or ridden these or are familiar with them

jlok

by jlok

Not an expert here but I'd steer away from smaller brands. The details on the frame are often overlooked.

Got two less than good experience from two small brands:

Neilpryde Alize (2nd gen using PF30): semi-gloss coating peeled off itself around FD hanger, brake cable plastic ports mount detached and had to super glue it.
KTM Revelator Sky: Strange control characteristics, maybe strange geometries, wooden feeling of the frameset...

Riding Giant now (TCR Advanced SL Disc, Propel Advanced), the TCR is very lively while the lowest carbon grade Propel surprised me on how well it rides. I may not buy the top end Giant again as the low end is already very good... or maybe depends on budget and offer.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Thank you for the reply,
That is why i was listing the bigger names, just was not sure if one had better a better bb setup or if one brand was notorious for good/bad things with the frame.

Ringo

by Ringo

From your list I would go with the giant. Best value for money than the rest..
XXTi
C60