Rotor Aldhu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

wickedstealthy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 am
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 am
LouisN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:24 am
I'm trying to find wich chainrings combo are lighter and what are the weight differences between the following:
1)The 52/36 direct mount combo, or 2) the Rotor spider + both 52 and 36T chainrings + bolts.
Anybody had those combos weighed ?

:beerchug:

Louis :)
Did anyone come up with an answer to this question by LouisN as I am looking into purchasing a Rotor Inspider ALDHU Carbon with this combo myself.
Maybe an option for you. Rotor aldhu 30 + power2max 4sl and carbon arms

I will go down this route as they look awesome

Included a picture of a ngeco 4s and 4sl power2max (ng is 7-8gr lighter) and the 48t aero rings. I think if you go with the regular rotor rings and ng you are close to 600-610gr

I have ordered both and will get both rings aero and non aero and will see what looks the nicest for me 😂

But likely it will be ng with aero 52/36t and pw2m 4sl 👍

Power2max was really helpful to quickly assemble something and do the weights and take pictures. Customer service 😁
Thanks for the reply and wow thats a light setup. I did have a change of mind with the Rotor as I wasnt too sure about the chainline on Campy Record and was told it would be better to go with the Campy P2M NGeco which I did and weighed it once I received it. With no rings it came out to 0.638kg and thats with the BB bearings mounted on the Campy crank spindle. The chainrings come in at 0.157kg (52/36) including chainring fasteners so a good bit chunkier than this chainset you are showing here.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:53 pm
Thanks for the reply and wow thats a light setup. I did have a change of mind with the Rotor as I wasnt too sure about the chainline on Campy Record and was told it would be better to go with the Campy P2M NGeco which I did and weighed it once I received it. With no rings it came out to 0.638kg and thats with the BB bearings mounted on the Campy crank spindle. The chainrings come in at 0.157kg (52/36) including chainring fasteners so a good bit chunkier than this chainset you are showing here.
I ordered both and will have somewhere next week the aero rings and regular ones. A few grams here and there I don't care. I just wanted to see how it looked 😁
I will go with rotor and power2max. Seeing the gplama video made my decision easy. It seems ones again that the Shimano pwm is finicky. And given that but my p2m meters always work, don't have to care about calibration and run always consistent was a no brained. And now that weight compared to the dura ace crank pfff
Attachments
A3C8D3DF-0159-4A14-B9EA-FCBA1C2CAF21.jpeg
100242E0-79FD-41A8-97F3-188FED6E865D.jpeg

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

wickedstealthy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 am
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 am
LouisN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:24 am
I'm trying to find wich chainrings combo are lighter and what are the weight differences between the following:
1)The 52/36 direct mount combo, or 2) the Rotor spider + both 52 and 36T chainrings + bolts.
Anybody had those combos weighed ?

:beerchug:

Louis :)
Did anyone come up with an answer to this question by LouisN as I am looking into purchasing a Rotor Inspider ALDHU Carbon with this combo myself.
Maybe an option for you. Rotor aldhu 30 + power2max 4sl and carbon arms

I will go down this route as they look awesome

Included a picture of a ngeco 4s and 4sl power2max (ng is 7-8gr lighter) and the 48t aero rings. I think if you go with the regular rotor rings and ng you are close to 600-610gr

I have ordered both and will get both rings aero and non aero and will see what looks the nicest for me 😂

But likely it will be ng with aero 52/36t and pw2m 4sl 👍

Power2max was really helpful to quickly assemble something and do the weights and take pictures. Customer service 😁
This is one good looking combo and I might end up with same PM setup on my new bike. Does anyone know which bottom bracket(s) would work with this PM? I'm planning to have my new titanium bike built with T47 bottom bracket.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

ipenguinking wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:42 am

This is one good looking combo and I might end up with same PM setup on my new bike. Does anyone know which bottom bracket(s) would work with this PM? I'm planning to have my new titanium bike built with T47 bottom bracket.
It's a rotor 30mm aldhu. Quick search T47 rotor gives you plenty of bb 😁
I will get a T45 CS bb as I need to fit this on. Colnago

Will do some additional weighing this week when I get the real 52/36 aero rings and the regular ones. But I'm sold whatever the outcome.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Should I go with standard road or offset road axle? Crank is a P2M Aldhu Carbon 30mm. Standard road frame w T47 68mm bb she'll, DA9200 disc drivetrain

Etienne

by Etienne

ipenguinking wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:27 pm
Should I go with standard road or offset road axle?
For a road bike, even with disc brakes, the standard axle is better suited.

The offset axle I have on my gravel bike needs a GRX front derailleur, and is only useful for better tire clearance.

tman

by tman

I currently own a Pyramid Cycling Design 1x 110BCD x 4 chainring with an Ultegra crankarm. I want to switch to a shorter crank length and decided to get a Rotor crank arm. Would the Rotor DM Spider 4-arm 110 BCD spider fit this chainring?

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

tman wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:17 pm
I currently own a Pyramid Cycling Design 1x 110BCD x 4 chainring with an Ultegra crankarm. I want to switch to a shorter crank length and decided to get a Rotor crank arm. Would the Rotor DM Spider 4-arm 110 BCD spider fit this chainring?
Why do you stick to those chainrings ? If I look at them they seem to be quite closed (no real mounting tabs) around the center and will likely intervene with the preformed arms of the spider which are there to perfectly fit the rotor rings with tabs. Still the aero rotor rings have proper tabs to mount on the spider.
I would say no from the pictures. Why not save you the hassle and just buy the rotor aero rings to fit then.
If you mount a powermeter spider like power2max they will likely fit as they have no preformed arms to fit the rings to. But thats another story :mrgreen:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

wickedstealthy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 pm
tman wrote:
Why do you stick to those chainrings ?
Pyramid 1x rings are most popular (AFAIK) in the UK TT scene with people running massive tooth counts. So if I had to guess I'd say he's probably using a bigger chainring than Rotor make.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:26 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:
tman wrote:
Yeah was thinking the same ;) But that limits its possibilities for a spider

Why do you stick to those chainrings ?
Pyramid 1x rings are most popular (AFAIK) in the UK TT scene with people running massive tooth counts. So if I had to guess I'd say he's probably using a bigger chainring than Rotor make.

tman

by tman

wickedstealthy wrote:
tman wrote:
Why do you stick to those chainrings ? If I look at them they seem to be quite closed (no real mounting tabs) around the center and will likely intervene with the preformed arms of the spider which are there to perfectly fit the rotor rings with tabs. Still the aero rotor rings have proper tabs to mount on the spider.
I would say no from the pictures. Why not save you the hassle and just buy the rotor aero rings to fit then.
If you mount a powermeter spider like power2max they will likely fit as they have no preformed arms to fit the rings to. But thats another story :mrgreen:
Yeah, that's what I ended going with. I now use it with an aero spider and the 1x aero 54t chainring.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

Can anyone comment on how the rotor chainrings perform compared to the Shimano chainrings?
I am a bit hesitant to switching to Rotor crankset + chainrings, because Shimano sets the gold standard for shifting performance. That said, I had an FSA crank for ages until a few years ago and was always happy with the shifting performance.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

cgrubb

by cgrubb

moonoi wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:48 pm
tleo wrote:I've got about 8000km on my 24mm NGeco/Aldhu road cranks and no issues. But I can generate only about 700 Watts in a sprint on a good day. I don't recall seeing any failures like this on any of the forums I visit so hopefully this is a one off failure.
According to the P2M I was only putting out 360w when it failed! I believe it is a one of failure, since both Rotor and P2M told me they’ve never seen a failure like this before.

Very happy with how responsive they’ve been regarding this, just have to wait for the replacement to arrive and hopefully never see this issue again.
Ha! The old line from a manufacturer "it is a one-off failure, we've never seen a failure like this before" - how many times have you heard this??

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

ullmanz wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:38 pm
Can anyone comment on how the rotor chainrings perform compared to the Shimano chainrings?
I am a bit hesitant to switching to Rotor crankset + chainrings, because Shimano sets the gold standard for shifting performance. That said, I had an FSA crank for ages until a few years ago and was always happy with the shifting performance.
I've found it to be pretty bad in my experience, I consistently drop my chain shifting up on the big ring when I had zero issues with an Ultegra chainring.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Deleted