Rotor Aldhu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

montee

by montee

Anyone riding the new Aldhu carbon cranks have any feedback on them? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Still waiting on delivery. Looks like they should be here next week.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

montee wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 pm
i rode the Kapic Carbon for about 9 months now. essentially the same crank but different Q factor. i use speedplay short axle to offset the additional width. all i can say it's they are quite abit better than aldhu and vegast (which i also have on other bikes) that i bought a second set. cant really comment on stiffness since i top out around 1100w. i didnt see any stiffness issues comparing to aluminium aldhu. one thing that really shines is how light they are to pedal. perhaps other super light crank has similar properties but this is definitely a step above aluminium aldhu. when aldhu carbon becomes more heavily discounted, i will replace my other vegast and ladhu sets. (shame they dont have 24mm axle and 160mm version just yet, otherwise, i want to put them on my TT bike.)
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

morganb

by morganb

Really hoping they come out with a 155mm option. I'm not holding my breath for it but there are no lightweight short crank options yet and I am sure there is a market for it, especially as they become more popular for TT/tri fit and road trends shorter.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

jeho wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:06 am
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:07 pm
I bought an aldhu 24 and a mas aero spider and now realize going aero with aldhu is 100% pointless. Arms+spider+axle is about 600 grams. Rotor flow is 554 grams. Wtf rotor. Need a light weight dm aero chainring for this to not be pointless
600 grams??

What was the breakdown for the weight of the parts?
I thought they were...

crankarms: 260g crank arms
spider: 40g (this might be the non-aero one)
chainring: 160g
Axel: 100g
= ~560g not including PM
Rotor lists 490g for axle and arms for aldhu 24. A direct mount aero chainring could keep you under 700g for an aero crankset. But they only have DM spider rings right now. No DM aero chainring.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

wltz

by wltz

montee wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 pm
I have been running them for 3 weeks now. They replaced Rotor 3D+. Easy to install (required the same washers as the 3D+), saved 90 grams, absolutely no complaints to report. Maybe I'm not a conosseur, but they are just cranks. I went from 167.5 to 165, and that's the only difference I really noticed (I definitely get higher cadence and smoother pedal stroke the shorter the cranks are). Happy with them overall, even their glossy finish has grown in me after a few rides.

RDY

by RDY

Gx3 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:49 pm
tomtom wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 am
jeho wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:06 am
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:07 pm
I bought an aldhu 24 and a mas aero spider and now realize going aero with aldhu is 100% pointless. Arms+spider+axle is about 600 grams. Rotor flow is 554 grams. Wtf rotor. Need a light weight dm aero chainring for this to not be pointless
600 grams??

What was the breakdown for the weight of the parts?
I thought they were...

crankarms: 260g crank arms
spider: 40g (this might be the non-aero one)
chainring: 160g
Axel: 100g
= ~560g not including PM
Doesn't he mean the alloy version? The Aldhu Carbon does not work with a 24mm axle does it?
I checked with Rotor and confirmed that the carbon crank arms do not work with the 24mm axle. They did say that they "currently" do not work with them, so sounds like maybe they will be releasing the 24mm version in the future
I'm not sure it'll happen unless they lighten up the 24mm axle considerably. It's 50g heavier than the 30mm axle (not sure why).

Adding 50g makes the Aldhu Carbon completely uncompetitive.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

I have had a set of the carbon cranks sitting on my desk for a couple of weeks. They look great and communication/service from Rotor has been first-rate so far. I purchased a set shortly after they announced availability. Unfortunately I was a bit too slow and by the time I placed the order, they were sold out. I was contacted multiple times by Rotor, who was very apologetic about this issue. I was informed there was a 45 day lead time and given the option to wait or cancel.

I waited and I am not sure it was even 45 days before the crank arms were again available. Prior to shipping, I was contacted by Rotor to ensure that everything was copacetic with my order and that no changes were necessary.

As of this time I have no feedback on the crank arms except that they look and feel awesome but I have not spent any time riding with them. Unequivocally I will say that Rotor is a class act. In the biking industry, I would say they are exceptional and class-leading.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

I have had a set of the carbon cranks sitting on my desk for a couple of weeks. They look great and communication/service from Rotor has been first-rate so far. I purchased a set shortly after they announced availability. Unfortunately I was a bit too slow and by the time I placed the order, they were sold out. I was contacted multiple times by Rotor, who was very apologetic about this issue. I was informed there was a 45 day lead time and given the option to wait or cancel.

I waited and I am not sure it was even 45 days before the crank arms were again available. Prior to shipping, I was contacted by Rotor to ensure that everything was copacetic with my order and that no changes were necessary.

As of this time I have no feedback on the crank arms except that they look and feel awesome but I have not spent any time riding with them. Unequivocally I will say that Rotor is a class act. In the biking industry, I would say they are exceptional and class-leading.

garbageman

by garbageman

RDY wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 pm
I'm not sure it'll happen unless they lighten up the 24mm axle considerably. It's 50g heavier than the 30mm axle (not sure why).
24mm axle is steel while the 30mm axle is aluminum. Aluminum is not suitable for a 24mm axle.

yinya

by yinya

You guys removed the plastic film from the Aldhu carbon cranks, right? It was a little more sticky than usual, so I became in doubt if it was intended to be left on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

Has anyone had problems with the Aldhu 24mm spindle failing?

I bought the P2M GRX power meter with aldhu 24 cranks direct from Power2Max in earlier this year. After just over 300km of riding the spindle failed sending me in to the road, luckily no broken bones, just bruises and a bit of road rash.

Rotor are replacing it, but I’m interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience? Image

RDY

by RDY

Jesus. Count me out.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

moonoi wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:12 am
Has anyone had problems with the Aldhu 24mm spindle failing?

I bought the P2M GRX power meter with aldhu 24 cranks direct from Power2Max in earlier this year. After just over 300km of riding the spindle failed sending me in to the road, luckily no broken bones, just bruises and a bit of road rash.

Rotor are replacing it, but I’m interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience?
wow thats really bad

im sad to report while i havent had the same experience, now one set of aldhu 24 and a kapic carbon are stucked and refuse to be taken off. one even broken a car torque wrench (rated up to 60Nm). Both on the non-drive side which makes the bike BB unserviceable.

the aldhu 24 anti-clockwise extractor ring simply stripped and the self extract bolt came off leaving the crank arms attached to the axle. a normal crank extractor is too small and i have yet to locate a rotor one.

the kapic carbon is simply stuck and the wrench broke when i dial up the torque setting.

prior to this i also have a deflected aldhu 24 sent to me from bike24, the axle was at least 2mm longer than it is supposed to be. luckily bike24 got into contact with velotech service (UK rotor distributor) and got it replaced under warranty.

as much as i love aldhu system it's abit much to recommend to anyone who use their bikes rather often. for weight weenie projects, may be.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

tleo

by tleo

I've got about 8000km on my 24mm NGeco/Aldhu road cranks and no issues. But I can generate only about 700 Watts in a sprint on a good day. I don't recall seeing any failures like this on any of the forums I visit so hopefully this is a one off failure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com