Rotor Aldhu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

The lightest power meter config will be Rotor 3D+ with left arm inpower and some lightweight rings, around 600g or less. Aldhu will be slighlty heavier but you have the possibility to use DM oval chainring and tune them precisely with the PM.

westham7

by westham7

Amazing thanks for information

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

acroft95

by acroft95

Sorry for the dredge.
I am trying to install a Power2Max NG onto some Aldhu cranks with a 24mm spindle. I place the p2m over the spindle then put the crank arm on top of that and tighten to 35nm but there is still a lot of movement between the p2m and the arms, the p2m is not being held in place. Is this normal or am I missing something?

AZR3

by AZR3

There should be zero play, I’d contact P2M and see what they say

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

still amazed that my 8 year old Quarq Riken is still competitive at 750g, Was gonna sell it and get something lighter then realized I could only get around $200 for it on eBay

Hexsense

by Hexsense

acroft95 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 am
Sorry for the dredge.
I am trying to install a Power2Max NG onto some Aldhu cranks with a 24mm spindle. I place the p2m over the spindle then put the crank arm on top of that and tighten to 35nm but there is still a lot of movement between the p2m and the arms, the p2m is not being held in place. Is this normal or am I missing something?
On my combo there were play until i reach about 15nm. Then it lock tight afterward. It certainly is tight at 37nm i set my torque wrench to.

acroft95

by acroft95

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 pm
acroft95 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 am
Sorry for the dredge.
On my combo there were play until i reach about 15nm. Then it lock tight afterward. It certainly is tight at 37nm i set my torque wrench to.
Cheers. My Torque wrench tops out at 28 and I was still getting play. Tightened it up to absolutely as hard as I could go, similar to on cassette lockrings, and now it seems still. Power2Max said 40nm is absolutely required. Might go to my LBS and see if they have a higher torque wrench.

Do you have the same combo? Aldhu to NG/NGEco?

AZR3

by AZR3

So you just estimated when you said you tightened to 35nm? If you didn’t torque it to spec then yeah there’d probably be some play. That’s why they have a specific torque value.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

acroft95 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm
Cheers. My Torque wrench tops out at 28 and I was still getting play. Tightened it up to absolutely as hard as I could go, similar to on cassette lockrings, and now it seems still. Power2Max said 40nm is absolutely required. Might go to my LBS and see if they have a higher torque wrench.

Do you have the same combo? Aldhu to NG/NGEco?
Yes, Aldhu 165mm length 30mm spindle and NGEco 4S (4 bolts for Shimano rings).

The 10mm hex lock bolt's torque is non linear. It require ~15-30 N.m for many turns. Then eventually after reaching a certain point the resistance ramp up fast. From my estimation, on the final turn, 35N.m and 40N.m is less than 10 degree apart

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What about EC90SL power meter? Isn't that lighter?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:11 pm
What about EC90SL power meter? Isn't that lighter?
they are not, for 52/36 DM crankset 590g + 65g w/ the clinch power = 655g

Cals

by Cals

thanks for the review, was interested to getting to know how we could integrate inpower or rotors power equivelant to aldhu systems working for a bb386 frame

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

I'm sorry to pick up this very old thread, but my question is particular to the Rotor Aldhu Crankset, because i have trouble understanding the modularity : is it correct that you can just swap out the axle from the 30mm one to a 24mm one for using it on a shimano equipped bike? I find it very confusing to find out how mudular the system actually is, given the cranks themselves are either laser edged with 3d or 24mm, suggesting that they are specific to the axle...

Races won't happen anytime soon, but my teambike has arrived and has Shimano ultegra crankset and I'd like to know whether or not getting the 24mm axle would enable to use my P2M NG Powermeter with a Rotor Adlhu Crankset that currently has a 30mm axle.

lewolive

by lewolive

Crank arms are always different when you consider 24 or 30mm spindles.

So, when you purchase Rotor crank arms, you need to select the 24 or 30mm option that is matching with your axle and BB installed.

Your current 30mm arms cannot be compatible with a 24mm axle.

But there are interesting options: Vegast24 are cheap and quality arms that are compatible with 24mm axles and Shimano BB. It seems a good option for you. Or you sell your crank arms and buy Aldhu24.

In terms of quality, modularity, Rotor 24mm is fine.

In terms of performance I only mount 30mm Rotor cranks on my bikes, because It's the same price as 24mm and I evaluate the total weigh saving to 70g per crankset. It's alsol lightly stiffer than 24mm.

On Powermeter option, I'm checking the opportunity to downgrade from 2Inpower to Aldhu Inspider. The stiffness of the Inspider, it's lightness and aero are good for me. But I need to find if the loss of accuracy is acceprtable or not.

Then, choosing a Rotor Aldhu 3D+ (30mm) is the possibility to select more crank arms lengths: 150,155,160,165,167,5 and the standard 170,172,5 & 175mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

lewolive wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am
Crank arms are always different when you consider 24 or 30mm spindles.

So, when you purchase Rotor crank arms, you need to select the 24 or 30mm option that is matching with your axle and BB installed.

Your current 30mm arms cannot be compatible with a 24mm axle.

But there are interesting options: Vegast24 are cheap and quality arms that are compatible with 24mm axles and Shimano BB. It seems a good option for you. Or you sell your crank arms and buy Aldhu24.

In terms of quality, modularity, Rotor 24mm is fine.

In terms of performance I only mount 30mm Rotor cranks on my bikes, because It's the same price as 24mm and I evaluate the total weigh saving to 70g per crankset. It's alsol lightly stiffer than 24mm.

On Powermeter option, I'm checking the opportunity to downgrade from 2Inpower to Aldhu Inspider. The stiffness of the Inspider, it's lightness and aero are good for me. But I need to find if the loss of accuracy is acceprtable or not.

Then, choosing a Rotor Aldhu 3D+ (30mm) is the possibility to select more crank arms lengths: 150,155,160,165,167,5 and the standard 170,172,5 & 175mm.
Thank you very much! I got confused after watching a video from a german youtube channel where they claimed in the presence of guy from rotor that you can just swap from 30mm to 24mm.

And thank you for suggestion the Vegast, too. I reckon the BMC is already so heavy that the difference between Vegast and won't make too much of a diffrence whilst being much more cost-efficient.