Rotor Aldhu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

probably easier to view them as Aldhu30 and Aldhu24.

same goes with Vegast30 and Vegast24. crank arms need to match up with the assicaoted axle.

the axle is 30mm and 24mm. but unlike 30mm axle, 24mm only has one length and it's matching shimano axle length.

the bit that shares between the two system is the interface between axle and chainring/spider.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

lewolive

by lewolive

I love Vegast because this is the first Rotor crank that can be purchased around 300€ including chainrings and you can choose 24/30mm spindles, price is the same. Vegast is tipically this awesome product that makes a great job for its price. On a BMC frame, I would stay with a 24mm spindle for most of the BB, or with a higher budget, I'd check for a high end 30mm BB86 41/30 BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

Sorry posted twice
Last edited by nottyfruit on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

lewolive wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Hi, I wanted to share with you a short review on Rotor Aldhu. Please excuse me if you feel it's not a fair review. I want to describe the real advantages and drawbacks of the product.

This crank is coming in replacement of my 2Inpower powermeter. I need power data but I consider riding this for a few long rides this year as it's features are interesting.
The weight measured is 564g including a 53/39 spidering. Thats lighter by 50-80g over top of the brand Shimano and Sram in that length of axle.
The spindle is long enough to accept all BB, so it cannot be really compared with true BB30 cranks. It'll compete with PF30/BBRight/BB86 and BSA frame cranks.

The geometry is similar to 3d+/Flow/Inpower cranks. It requires 30mm BB. On my Canyon, it's a 41/30 BB. The installation has been very quick. I chose the rim brake axle. If you choose to buy later a disc brake bike you can just change the axle and convert the crank. That's convenient and not expensive ($60).

The advantage was for me to select the precise OCP, given by my 2Inpower software. I know that on flat rides, my OCP would be 1,5 to 2. The Aldhu spider is allowing to select 1,75, that's awesome ! For me, Rotor is over promoting Qrings, saying they are better than round in any case. For me the truth is that Qrings are always better than round ONLY if your have the good OCP. And the best way to measure OCP is to measure OCA first with a Rotor Powermeter. I don't trust the Qring guide, it's not a scientific method to adjust Qrings. I love the measures of the Rotor powermeter, that's a scientific measure.

On the first rides I have loved the ratio weight/stiffness. The 12,5% oval spidering is properly adjusted with my Sram Yaw derailleur and no noise is observed, even on 53/28. On high power levels, the product remains very efficient: I tried a 950-1000W average on a short climb of 30s and stiffness was good enough. In order to feel less stiffness than 2Inpower you really need to reach higher levels, let's say 1200-1300W. But for me, 2Inpower is actually too stiff, nobody needs a such stiff crank and it would be inteesting to reduce weight of the 2Inpower. Adlhu is probably a very good compromise, because it's well known that most of cyclists are making the difference in a large gap of 250 to 1200W.

Honnestly, I regret a few things:
-Aldhu should be available in a 24mm spindle, because Rotor should think about Shimano users and it's easier to keep an original 24mm BB than changing for a 30mm BB.
-12,5% ovalty is high, I may prefer keeping standard Qrings with 10% ovalty.
-BB86 is performing better with 24mm spindles. I have found the solution with a good ceramic 41/30 BB but it remains hard to find and expensive.
-No powermeter features...

At the end it's a well engineered product. The price is very competitive and it's a serious upgrade for Ultegra or Sram Force users. For DA and Red owners, who have already spent much money on cranks, it's a lighter improvement. For those who build their groupsets by themselves, It's a fantastic opportunity. The last good news is that it's available in short arm lengths (150,155,160 and 165mm).
Last edited by nottyfruit on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

Hi Lewolive,
i'm a bit confused, you have the Rotor Aldhu 3d+ crankset with axle weighed in at 564g, every other website that i looked at have the crankset listed as more than 630g depending on crank arm length and spidering combo.
How did you get your's to be so light? Curious because i'm considering buying 165mm and 46/30 combination. Would you happen to have that weigt with PF30a axle? Intend to use it for the Cannondale Supersix Evo.
Thanks for your help.

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

jeanjacques wrote:The lightest power meter config will be Rotor 3D+ with left arm inpower and some lightweight rings, around 600g or less. Aldhu will be slighlty heavier but you have the possibility to use DM oval chainring and tune them precisely with the PM.
I have this powermeter on my road bike paired with a Rotor 3D+ crankset. I was wondering will the Aldhu spider 110bcd fit on the 3D+ crankset so I can put the Rotor 48/35 SRAM AXS compatible rings on it?

bet1216

by bet1216

yellowbear1021 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:52 pm
I have this powermeter on my road bike paired with a Rotor 3D+ crankset. I was wondering will the Aldhu spider 110bcd fit on the 3D+ crankset so I can put the Rotor 48/35 SRAM AXS compatible rings on it?
The Adlhu spider is not compatible with 3D+ cranks or vice versa. Rotor changed the interface. I have both cranksets.

NLC86

by NLC86

Does it worth to buy a Rotor ALDHU 24 DM kit to replace an Ultegra R8000 crankset? In terms of weight they are more or less equivalent. I'm wondering in term of stiffness which one is better.

Alfus

by Alfus

Do you like cracking noises??

Go for Rotor!!🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻

bet1216

by bet1216

I have had 4 different Rotor cranksets ( 3D+ and ALDHU 24) on 4 different frames (Cervelo P3, 1st gen Cannondale Super Six Evo, Cannondale Slice and BMC Roadmachine). I have never had cracking or noises of any kind from any of the cranksets.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

the 24mm axle is quite heavy and it's pretty muhc offset all the weight advantage of the 30mm axle system over dura ace crank. so for ALDHU 24, you are looking at similar weight to a dura ace R9100 set. the vegast sits abit behind the R8000 counterpart and there's also the power2max edition which sits between the ALDHU and VEGAST

(PS: ALDHU is 7-series aluminium with trinity drilling. VEGAST and P2m edition is 6 series aluminum. my understanding is the P2M edition has a single bore drilled to save abit of weight over VEGAST24. )
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

danny

by danny

I have a scott addict 2015 with sram red 22 groupset and I want to change crankset, I like the new Rotor 3D+ ALDHU 24mm version crankset but I see the axle for BB86 had 43,5 mm of chainline while the original sram red crankset had 45,5 mm chainline.
Can I use the new Rotor crankset without gear problem?

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Will the rotor track spider work on 24 and 30 axles?
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

yellowbear1021 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:52 pm
jeanjacques wrote:The lightest power meter config will be Rotor 3D+ with left arm inpower and some lightweight rings, around 600g or less. Aldhu will be slighlty heavier but you have the possibility to use DM oval chainring and tune them precisely with the PM.
You can get the 3D+ spider fitted by either Rotor or your local distributor may be able to help you.

Velotech in the UK can do this for you; https://velotechservices.co.uk/shop/vcl ... t=HOMEPAGE

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:28 pm
probably easier to view them as Aldhu30 and Aldhu24.

same goes with Vegast30 and Vegast24. crank arms need to match up with the assicaoted axle.

the axle is 30mm and 24mm. but unlike 30mm axle, 24mm only has one length and it's matching shimano axle length.

the bit that shares between the two system is the interface between axle and chainring/spider.
So I can swap the track 30 spider onto a 24?
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com