Who double wrapped their bars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sychen

by sychen

Not overly enamoured with the specialized bar tape that came with my sl6.. Got some supercaz instead.

Haven't decided to replace (spesh tape is still brand new) or double up.

Curious how many people double wrap for every day riding?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

on a road bike why double wrap?

for the road bike fizik microtex for me, i've tried others but still prefer it, on my commute bike i use cinelli gel tape as it has excellent wet grip and lasts forever

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Honestly I don't have a reason to double up.. But didn't want to just remove brand new tape.

Looking for a reason to be lazy?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Removing bar tape is a near zero effort endeavor. Since you’re never going to use the Specialized bar tape, why keep it on? Also I agree...even S-Wrap HD is garbage...it’s rough to the touch and the tape has constant thickness so the edges are very raised. Also whenever I look at Specialized white tapes at the LBS, the edges are brown/discolored.

I have some Supacaz in my queue, but that stuff is made at the same factory and probably suffers from the same issues.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

My palms are always the last parts of my body which give up in a hard ride even when I don't use any gloves in the past couple of seasons anymore.

Therefore, I never double wrap and focus on bar tape which is light :D - here, of course, Deda is the winner although Lizardskins DSP might be slightly more comfortable.

Will see how Tesa cloth tape "double wrap" feels on the sub 5kg bike soon along with 20+ g savings vs Deda.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I always double wrap from the bottom to just barely above the hoods, and then single wrap from there on. More comfortable t my hnds. Single and only reason.

moyboy

by moyboy

I find the Supercaz tape good enough. No need to double up.
Replaced all my lizard skins with it.
sychen wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 am
Not overly enamoured with the specialized bar tape that came with my sl6.. Got some supercaz instead.

nickf

by nickf

I'm about to pull of the Supercaz off, to thick. I like the fizik 2mm tacky stuff myself. I don't wear gloves and just like the feel of the thin tape, better grip on bars.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

sychen wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 am

I ocasionally double wrap my drops, but that's only because I don't wear padded gloves and having that little extra padding can be nice on Texas chip'n'seal. Neither of my bikes have bars with round tops. One has contoured, kinda ergonomic tops, the other is aero, so one only needs one layer or it gets two thick, the other doesn't get tape past the bend so I never double wrap above the levers.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

mrfish

by mrfish

My C40 has double wrap on 26mm bars with Deda foam tape. It hides a nasty edge on the bar cable run and gives a similar hand holding radius to a fully oversized or 35mm bar so is nicer to grip. Main reason though was the look. With 28mm tyres and low profile aluminium rims the bike is ready for Roubaix.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

not me even on P-R cobbles. Tyres soak up the bumps. I use cinelli cork tape.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Even on PR cobbles?...

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Personally I've always loved Specialized Roubaix bar tape. Comfortable and thick without having to double wrap. Not very weight weenie, but I put quality parts and comfort first.

MRM

by MRM

If you do, you must ride Roubaix. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

My hands are usually torn up by climbing not cycling.. seeing the PR guys go through the same things as climbing/scraping/jaming into rocks is pretty sureal.
I've had a good run with Cinelli Calediscope tape for 4 years... trying out out the supercaz this time. Can always fall back to Cinelli if needed.

Will remove the Spesh tape this week. It isn't the comfort that I dislike.. but the feel of it.