Deal Digging: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-mod - Orbea Orca OMR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mchlc11

by Mchlc11

Three framsets all at my LBS:

1) 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-mod - brand new (somehow) for a quoted price of $1k - I think I can probably get this down a little more.
2) 2016 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-mod - brand new for $1500.
3) 2016 Orbea Orca OMR - brand new for $1200.

How different are the two Cannondale's? I know the marketing claims of the 2016 year, but how different are the two? I'm concerned about the tire clearance on the '13 as I prefer 25s.
Any ride reports or ride comparisons between the Supersix Evo HM vs the Orbea Orca OMR? I've heard nothing but positive about the Dale, but have heard some conflicting reports about the Orca. I'd appreciate any feedback on each frame. Riding each isn't quite an easy option: the shop doesn't carry Orbea anymore and I've ridden a '18 SuperSix Evo (non-HM), so I have a baseline of the two dale's.

Which deal would you pick?
Last edited by Mchlc11 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

I'd pick the 13 SS Evo HM. $1k for the top frameset is no brainer.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dastott

by dastott

If you are following the fashion of running wider wheels & tyres then don't get the 2013 SS Evo. I love my 2012 model though, and paid a similar price to you for a lightly used frameset.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a 2013 evo and upgraded to a 2016 fork (gramz). Great bike. Run 25mm contis on lightweight meilensteins - nil clearnace issues. Also ran vittoria 25mm corsa tubulars on ax lightness 25t with nil clearance issues - neither of these are wide rims though. Great frame. The 2013 is actually a lighter frame and you get more seatpost options as it is 27.2. You also get more crank options as it is ttue pf30 rather than pf30a.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

That is a really good deal for the OMR. That was a 3,100 dollar frame in 2016. It is Orbea's top of the line frame and is fantastic handling.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Old SS Evo (2015 and older): Cheaper, slightly more aggressive geometry
New SS Evo (2016 and newer): A bit lighter, more tire clearance, geometry slightly more relaxed

I have a 14' SS Evo Hi-Mod (same as 2013) and I love the frame. I can run Zipp 303s (26.5mm wide at brake track) with 25mm Veloflex clinchers without clearance issues but anything bigger than that is a no go. Tried Easton EC90 Aero55s (28mm at brake track) and they rub like crazy at the chainstay. So you can run fairly wide rims but not the widest of the new designs. If you don't think you'll run wider tires then between the two Evos go for the 13'. Personally have no experience with the Orbea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Djohns

by Djohns

Mchlc11 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 am
Three framsets all at my LBS:

1) 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-mod - brand new (somehow) for a quoted price of $1k - I think I can probably get this down a little more.
2) 2016 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-mod - brand new for $1500.
3) 2016 Orbea Orca OMR - brand new for $1200.

How different are the two Cannondale's? I know the marketing claims of the 2016 year, but how different are the two? I'm concerned about the tire clearance on the '13 as I prefer 25s.
Any ride reports or ride comparisons between the Supersix Evo HM vs the Orbea Orca OMR? I've heard nothing but positive about the Dale, but have heard some conflicting reports about the Orca. I'd appreciate any feedback on each frame. Riding each isn't quite an easy option: the shop doesn't carry Orbea anymore and I've ridden a '18 SuperSix Evo (non-HM), so I have a baseline of the two dale's.

Which deal would you pick?
Hi mch.

Can you show some pictures of the ss hmod 2016 or thr color available at your lbs and its size?