Water bottle recommendation

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:22 pm
You don’t race/ride on the same roads. Have you even used Podium v3s...the v2s are complete different and convex/fat in the middle..
Quite probably raced/ridden on worse, done cobbles, lots of cobbles (so many cobbles :cry: ), currently ride on lots of washboard, it's everywhere at the moment due to the odd winter we had, we get a fair bit anyway, even after the roads get graded. Cobbles, well, rock filled dirt tracks aren't uncommon either.
And yes, of course i've used all the different Camelbacks, as it's pretty much the only brand i buy myself. Everything else i have is either something i've got from neutral service/teammate/freebies/random reps/gifts.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
.they are much better suited to random bottle cages because of the extra diameter.
As a rider, aren't you far far far more likely to get random bottles handed up than have "random bottle cages"? Easier to make the thing bolted to your frame compatible with as much as possible, rather than having to be picky about what container the water is being handed up in?
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Don’t be stubborn.
I'm not, i have one style of cage i use for everything, and i've yet to find a bottle size/compatibilty/model/finish that doesn't fit and remain in place.

I'm sure i'll manage one day.

Methodical

by Methodical

mattr wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:21 pm
Can't understand anyone having issues with the camelback bottles, i leave them rolling round full in the bottom of kit bags on occasion and they don't leak (latest version).
And i've got some of the very first ones that were launched, nozzles are still clean, slightly stained from ~10 years of assorted energy drinks obviously, but no mold spots or anything like that.
Ditto. Mine never ever leak and I have 2 sets for around 7 years that I still use. Pulled everything apart when I saw the black stuff, cleaned and soaked everything in a light mixture of clorox, rinsed in hot water and they have been mold free ever since. I rinse after each ride with hot water (squeeze hot water through mouth piece) and clean every then and again.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

by Weenie

Methodical

by Methodical

jb wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 pm
This one works fine for me: https://www.abloc.com
Easy to clean.
I think I will try a couple of these in "Black" - been looking for an all Black bottle. I like the shape and the fact there are no logos.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Wookski

by Wookski

Methodical wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:54 am
jb wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 pm
This one works fine for me: https://www.abloc.com
Easy to clean.
I think I will try a couple of these in "Black" - been looking for an all Black bottle. I like the shape and the fact there are no logos.
A wonderful bottle however, the all black version wouldn’t look out of place in an adult toy store.

warp

by warp

One more vote for Purist bottles. Ride, rinse, repeat. The bottle is soft enough that it doesn't require any effort to squezze it. I've used them even on my MTB's and I haven't had them ejected either from Bontrager, Giant or Zefal cages.

That or BOA (Bottles of Australia) bottles. Their higher end is cheap and just nice.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Just ordered abloc bottles with 20% summer discount in black and pro white both in large. I will report back when I got and used them.

flying

by flying

Isn't a black bottle going to solar heat the liquid in it?
Of course not a problem & perhaps a plus in snowy climates :wink:

dricked

by dricked

The black Abloc bottles to make your water warm fairly quickly but I like them anyway.

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Hexsense wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 am
Elite Fly: a bit loose fit on Elite Cannibal but confidently tight on the rest of my cages.
Really? All 4 of my elite flys are scuffed up due to how tightly the cannibals grip them. I have trouble getting elite flys out of cannibals! Never have dropped a bottle on even on roads where I thought the chain slap would break my chainstay.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Are there 650mL Elite Fly bottles yet. I sweat too much for 550mL...

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 am
Are there 650mL Elite Fly bottles yet. I sweat too much for 550mL...
Only 550, 750, and 950. Don't get the white ones.

guyc

by guyc

The Fly bottles are absolute shit. They crinkle after a few decent squeezes and half the time the spouts self-close as you’re drinking.

Purist all the way.

Pajaa

by Pajaa

guyc wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 am
The Fly bottles are absolute shit. They crinkle after a few decent squeezes and half the time the spouts self-close as you’re drinking.
I absolutely agree - worst bottle from Elite

Methodical

by Methodical

Frankie13 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 am
Just ordered abloc bottles with 20% summer discount in black and pro white both in large. I will report back when I got and used them.
Too bad they did not have the Stealth in the small size bottles. I ordered the jet black small bottles.

Anybody have the Stealth bottles? If so, how do they really look on a bike?

by Weenie

Hexsense

by Hexsense

For (Specialized) Purist bottles,
there are 3 cap style top to choose from.
MoFlo (pull to open, push down to close)
Fixy (squeeze to release water)
Watergate (squeze to release, with also push to close cap)

Rather than purchasing all three caps to test, I think i should just ask here.
I wonder if there is a different hand force required to get the water out?
Does MoFlo let out more water with less squezing force?