Water bottle recommendation

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
coresare

by coresare

Second for The Purist. I have the Camelbacks and don't like them..

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Purists all the way, as usual.

The new v3 Podiums still do not fit quite right in cages with retention “lips” at the cage opening. The sloped neck isn’t sits against the lip instead of snapping behind it like traditional bidons. I’m sure other designs like the angular Tacx ones fit poorly in those cages too.

I have had Podium v3s eject in bumpy races...this never happens with my Purists.

Wookski

by Wookski

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm
jb wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 pm
This one works fine for me: https://www.abloc.com
Easy to clean.
Says the nozzle wont leak. Have you found this to be true?
They work really well and are wonderful. IMO best to avoid plain black as the shape resembles something found in an adult store :lol:

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 am
I have had Podium v3s eject in bumpy races...
And the last time i had a bottle eject in a race was when i had to use "sponsor correct" cages.

So in 25+ years of racing as a senior, i've lost bottles in exactly one race.

Get better cages.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mattr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:41 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 am
I have had Podium v3s eject in bumpy races...
And the last time i had a bottle eject in a race was when i had to use "sponsor correct" cages.

So in 25+ years of racing as a senior, i've lost bottles in exactly one race.

Get better cages.

My cages are fine. It’s the terrain and the Podium v3s. I have never had a Purist eject with my cages, even in 30mph crashes.

Specifically what happens with the new Podiums is they creep up the seattube cage from bumpy roads and vibrations. This is because they don’t interface correctly with the retention “lip” on typical cages.

mattr

by mattr

Your cages aren't fine then are they.
None of mine have (or even need) a retention lip. Bottles still don't come out. :wink:

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Wookski wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm
jb wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 pm
This one works fine for me: https://www.abloc.com
Easy to clean.
Says the nozzle wont leak. Have you found this to be true?
They work really well and are wonderful. IMO best to avoid plain black as the shape resembles something found in an adult store :lol:
Haha then I will order a couple bottles in colors other than black. Thanks
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mattr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:08 pm
Your cages aren't fine then are they.
None of mine have (or even need) a retention lip. Bottles still don't come out. :wink:

You don’t race/ride on the same roads. Have you even used Podium v3s...the v2s are complete different and convex/fat in the middle...they are much better suited to random bottle cages because of the extra diameter. Don’t be stubborn.

survivor

by survivor

Got some free samples of Elite Fly bottle during the recent Sea Otter Classic exposition and like them very much. Lightweight and very good liquid flow per squeeze.

flying

by flying

I really like the Zefal Sense soft nozzles these days
Both in 800 & 650 ml
s-l1600.jpg

sychen

by sychen

Have to chime in on ejecting poduim bottles and purist bottles staying put.

On same SWorks carbon cages..

So far purist bottles have less issues.. Except for the nozzle being not as nice. Will replace soon.. With another batch of purists most likely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 am
Have to chime in on ejecting poduim bottles and purist bottles staying put.

On same SWorks carbon cages..

So far purist bottles have less issues.. Except for the nozzle being not as nice. Will replace soon.. With another batch of purists most likely.

Yep.

My issue with Podium V2s is they didn't play nice with cages that have that retention lip. They have that fat neck with the 4 indentations on the side that don't quite work for that purpose. On some cages, the V2s are simply slightly too fat and they are annoying to pull out and replace. I didn't use them long enough to notice if they have ejection problems. They probably do on some cages and don't on others that squeeze them tightly.

V3s have that tapered neck and are thinner overall, so it has the same neck problem as the V2s, and they slip out more easily.

Honestly the best podiums were the V1s that Rapha continued to sell for a long time, but now they just use purists.

But wait, mattr will just say your cages suck.

sychen

by sychen

Lol... ya my cages suck... sucks my purist bottles in tight!

Last large group ride.. One of our group had his rapha podium bottles eject ... At the same spot as the group in front had another regular podium bottle eject... Can't attest how much their cages sucked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:22 pm

You don’t race/ride on the same roads. Have you even used Podium v3s...the v2s are complete different and convex/fat in the middle...they are much better suited to random bottle cages because of the extra diameter. Don’t be stubborn.
+1 on this, the new Podium V3 is just plain unusable on multiple of my cages.
on my cages:
Elite Fly: a bit loose fit on Elite Cannibal but confidently tight on the rest of my cages.
Purist: tight fit on all
Camelbak Podium Chill: tight fit on all
Camelback Podium V3: loose fit on all, even Specialized cage can't hold it securely, Elite Cannibal cage practically have no grip on it.

I know some old school cage have small open hole that open out a lot to lock the bottle of various sizes.
But most modern cages are made for standard size bottles. This doesn't result in less secure grip on standard size bottle, in fact since they don't have to bend open so much it can made to be stiffer/less flexible.
However, something vastly undersized that doesn't even push cage's side wall doesn't get any grip.

by Weenie

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

I have experience only with Elite and Camelbak bottles.

Elite Turacio, nice bottle, holds temperature OK, but I have one big problem with that bottle, I can't get rid of the plastic smell, and I have tried literally every remedy known for getting rid of the smell in the plastic bottles.

Camelbak Podium Ice, no complaints so far...