Water bottle recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i searched for purist water bottle and found these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... PINI799PGE

are these similar to the purist bottle that specialized sells

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm
i searched for purist water bottle and found these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... PINI799PGE

are these similar to the purist bottle that specialized sells
They should be, but I have never purchased Purists from Amazon. Make sure you get the Watergate cap/valve versions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ringo

by Ringo

I came to the conclusion of changing bottles every year for various reasons.
I bought camelback without insulation since the chill didn’t make a difference to me.
So regular camelback every season it is for me
XXTi
C60

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I like the Elite Fly for all the reasons explained previously. In addition it's nice and squeezy, to the extent where I reckon you'd quite possibly come off unscathed if you rode over a full one. You can get to almost every drop too.

It certainly has its compromises though, mainly in the cap:
It closes easily by accident when drinking. Especially if you're gasping after a hill, your drinking might not be "careful"... problem is, this leaves your bottle in a half crushed purgatory, which you really need to fix before putting back in the cage. Also last weekend I pulled the nozzle clean off on one occasion after it initially wouldn't open easily. The bottle scuffs up very easily.

But... it's 72g lighter over 2 bottles compared to the Purist Watergate (best functioning bottle IMO), for small change. I got a 500ml and 750ml, but next time I'll just get 2 x 750ml bottles, cos the weight penalty is only a few grams.

swright

by swright

I have a Park Tool bottle brush and I clean out my bottles with dish soap soon after every ride if I put anything other than water into them, then make sure they dry out completely before screwing the top back on. You might try rinsing them with salt water and/or vinegar to stave off anything growing in them.

I have been using the same CamelBak Podium Chill, Polar Bottle insulated and various uninsulated Elite bottles for years without any problem. I use a variety of tabs and mixes for in-ride use -- I never use my ride water bottles for post-ride recovery shakes.

cheers,
Scott

p.s. Elite has a good variety of uninsulated bottles in different styles, sizes and colors, so finding something appealing to fit in with your bike's color & kit is usually easy. And, they have their 54g Fly water bottle for the committed WWs, but I have read mixed reviews on it.
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

josephdenker

by josephdenker

Text deleted for what appears to be spam. Contact me if you wish to explain - PP.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brackc

by brackc

Because this is weight weenies after all
Specialized Purist: 90g
Camelback (v2): 76g
Camelback (v3): 82g
These are measured weights so give or take a gram or two here

I will also second the "it's not going to kill you" argument about slightly dirty water bottles, assuming you're using it regularly enough.
Also DON'T use bottle brushes, you'll scratch up the inside surface of the bottle and make nice little nooks for bugs to grow in. Agitate (shake/swirl) with hot soapy water to clean. If you're using hydration mixes, at least rinse it out ASAP afterwards.
TBH elite ones have weird valves that close randomly, purist ones retain a fair bit of water when "empty", camelbacks fit in cages weird (even the new one with it's strangely angled side-wall can be weird) and even the really cheap bottles, well, actually... still hold water and function pretty well.

whatleytom

by whatleytom

I got given a load of the Elite Fly bottles. Found them pretty annoying to be honest. They continuously leak around the mouth piece so half the water ends up on your kit/bike/floor. So much so I've stopped using them given the annoyance.

ms6073

by ms6073

brackc wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 pm
camelbacks fit in cages weird (even the new one with it's strangely angled side-wall can be weird)
We had been using the Camelbak Podium Ice v2 with Enve carbon cages and recently got the new v3 only to find the bottle had gone on a diet and the slightly narrower bottles did not fit as tight in the cage resulting in the bottles 'buzzing' slightly on less than perfect surfaces. Sorted that with new Enve cages but then we found the new streamlined shaped resulted in the bottle being a tad firmer so we grasp them lower down on the bottle when squeezing to drink, but those with small hands might find this a hindrance.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

whatleytom wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:47 pm
I got given a load of the Elite Fly bottles. Found them pretty annoying to be honest. They continuously leak around the mouth piece so half the water ends up on your kit/bike/floor. So much so I've stopped using them given the annoyance.
I have found this same thing with the new Camelback and the latest version of the Polar bottles. Surely someone can make a lid that doesnt leak around the lid where it screws on (Polar) or through the nozzle even when it is supposedly locked (Camelback).
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

jb wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 pm
This one works fine for me: https://www.abloc.com
Easy to clean.
Says the nozzle wont leak. Have you found this to be true?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I like the Fabric Gripper bottles (normal bottles, not the cageless ones). Simple, light (not sure how much, but noticably lighter than the CamelBaks), don't move in the cages I have even on rough roads or off-road, don't leak and the grippy pattern makes them easy to pull out of tight cages even with sweaty hands, something the previous CamelBak bottles without a pronounced dip in the shape were not so good at.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Is there a common size cap+ bottle thread?
I found Purist cap+ bottle, Elite cap+bottle, and Camelbak cap+bottle all not corss-compatible to each other.
I really like the Elite Fly's bottle part but hate their cap. Looking forward to replace its cap with something else.

mattr

by mattr

Can't understand anyone having issues with the camelback bottles, i leave them rolling round full in the bottom of kit bags on occasion and they don't leak (latest version).
And i've got some of the very first ones that were launched, nozzles are still clean, slightly stained from ~10 years of assorted energy drinks obviously, but no mold spots or anything like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reknop

by reknop

4ibanez wrote:I like the Elite Fly for all the reasons explained previously. In addition it's nice and squeezy, to the extent where I reckon you'd quite possibly come off unscathed if you rode over a full one. You can get to almost every drop too.

It certainly has its compromises though, mainly in the cap:
It closes easily by accident when drinking. Especially if you're gasping after a hill, your drinking might not be "careful"... problem is, this leaves your bottle in a half crushed purgatory, which you really need to fix before putting back in the cage. Also last weekend I pulled the nozzle clean off on one occasion after it initially wouldn't open easily. The bottle scuffs up very easily.

But... it's 72g lighter over 2 bottles compared to the Purist Watergate (best functioning bottle IMO), for small change. I got a 500ml and 750ml, but next time I'll just get 2 x 750ml bottles, cos the weight penalty is only a few grams.
Elite Fly and Elite Corsa are the bottles I use.

https://www.remo-knops.com/6357/elite-f ... le-review/

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net