Water bottle recommendation

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
addictR1

by addictR1

i searched for purist water bottle and found these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... PINI799PGE

are these similar to the purist bottle that specialized sells

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

addictR1 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm
i searched for purist water bottle and found these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... PINI799PGE

are these similar to the purist bottle that specialized sells
They should be, but I have never purchased Purists from Amazon. Make sure you get the Watergate cap/valve versions.

by Weenie

Ringo

by Ringo

I came to the conclusion of changing bottles every year for various reasons.
I bought camelback without insulation since the chill didn’t make a difference to me.
So regular camelback every season it is for me

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I like the Elite Fly for all the reasons explained previously. In addition it's nice and squeezy, to the extent where I reckon you'd quite possibly come off unscathed if you rode over a full one. You can get to almost every drop too.

It certainly has its compromises though, mainly in the cap:
It closes easily by accident when drinking. Especially if you're gasping after a hill, your drinking might not be "careful"... problem is, this leaves your bottle in a half crushed purgatory, which you really need to fix before putting back in the cage. Also last weekend I pulled the nozzle clean off on one occasion after it initially wouldn't open easily. The bottle scuffs up very easily.

But... it's 72g lighter over 2 bottles compared to the Purist Watergate (best functioning bottle IMO), for small change. I got a 500ml and 750ml, but next time I'll just get 2 x 750ml bottles, cos the weight penalty is only a few grams.

swright

by swright

I have a Park Tool bottle brush and I clean out my bottles with dish soap soon after every ride if I put anything other than water into them, then make sure they dry out completely before screwing the top back on. You might try rinsing them with salt water and/or vinegar to stave off anything growing in them.

I have been using the same CamelBak Podium Chill, Polar Bottle insulated and various uninsulated Elite bottles for years without any problem. I use a variety of tabs and mixes for in-ride use -- I never use my ride water bottles for post-ride recovery shakes.

cheers,
Scott

p.s. Elite has a good variety of uninsulated bottles in different styles, sizes and colors, so finding something appealing to fit in with your bike's color & kit is usually easy. And, they have their 54g Fly water bottle for the committed WWs, but I have read mixed reviews on it.
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]