Dura-Ace 9120 lever leaking at master cylinder

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Hey gang, I am pretty new to the road hydraulic disc game. I have a new bike built up with DA 9120, and it only has about 350 km on it so far. Last Friday I had an issue when I was riding with a bit of fluid leaking from the master cylinder on the front brake (left lever). I may have induced this, it was a warmer day for us in the PNW (but cold anywhere else) and I was patiently waiting to go through the border lineup to ride across the line in NW Washington and while doing so I was kind of habitually squeezing the front brake. I noticed a bit of fluid seeping out around the hood and pulled the hood back. Does not look like it was leaking from the fill-hole, but sort of in front of there. I wiped it up as best I could with the sleeve of my jersey and put the hood back on, unfortunately the combo of the mineral oil and rubber has stretched out the rubber a bit and it does not fit nearly as well, and I did rip it a tiny bit on the front :cry: which was disappointing. After getting home it did not seem like there was any additional leaking. I was away for a couple of days but last night I was testing it out and I definitely found that if I pump the lever several times I will force fluid out from the front of the reservoir, below the fill-hole.

Has anyone had problems like this? Is it a sign of too much fluid? I haven't messed around with disc brake bleeding etc since I quit racing motocross in 1988!! I think I'm going to take it do an experienced dealer who I trust, even though I'm a very competent mechanic, as I do have the right stuff to do a proper bleed if needed.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I had something like that and after having the lever replaced one of the calipers leaked too.

Refer to a Shimano dealer and they will replace your lever, these cases happen every now and then.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I've stumbled upon similar issue on Stack Exchange, maybe it'll help other people who experience the same.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Had similar proble, I recently bought some Dura Ace 9120 shifters

The left one leaked from the moment it was fitted and filled

Shimano agent replaced it without question

I'm unsure of the cause...but the remedy was replacement
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

robo

by robo

I've had caliper leak problems, as others say Shimano seem to be offering a no-questions-asked replacement - I'd get the retailer you bought from to replace from stock without waiting for a return to be dealt with.