Dura-Ace 9120 lever leaking at master cylinder

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Hey gang, I am pretty new to the road hydraulic disc game. I have a new bike built up with DA 9120, and it only has about 350 km on it so far. Last Friday I had an issue when I was riding with a bit of fluid leaking from the master cylinder on the front brake (left lever). I may have induced this, it was a warmer day for us in the PNW (but cold anywhere else) and I was patiently waiting to go through the border lineup to ride across the line in NW Washington and while doing so I was kind of habitually squeezing the front brake. I noticed a bit of fluid seeping out around the hood and pulled the hood back. Does not look like it was leaking from the fill-hole, but sort of in front of there. I wiped it up as best I could with the sleeve of my jersey and put the hood back on, unfortunately the combo of the mineral oil and rubber has stretched out the rubber a bit and it does not fit nearly as well, and I did rip it a tiny bit on the front :cry: which was disappointing. After getting home it did not seem like there was any additional leaking. I was away for a couple of days but last night I was testing it out and I definitely found that if I pump the lever several times I will force fluid out from the front of the reservoir, below the fill-hole.

Has anyone had problems like this? Is it a sign of too much fluid? I haven't messed around with disc brake bleeding etc since I quit racing motocross in 1988!! I think I'm going to take it do an experienced dealer who I trust, even though I'm a very competent mechanic, as I do have the right stuff to do a proper bleed if needed.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I had something like that and after having the lever replaced one of the calipers leaked too.

Refer to a Shimano dealer and they will replace your lever, these cases happen every now and then.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk