Campag EPS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Im thinking of buying good condition, used Record EPS but am hesitating. Ive not tried electronic shifting before and Im thinking this might be a good opportunity.
Is attached under the stem the only place for the interface unit? This looks messy to me.
Is it a stupid time to buy EPS? I have a feeling it just about to be radically updated with a 12 speed version.
Im not interested in putting Sram or Shimano on a C60.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

wilwil wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 am
Is it a stupid time to buy EPS? I have a feeling it just about to be radically updated with a 12 speed version.
Yes. CyclingTips reported in the 12-speed announcement article that Campagnolo had said an EPS update is coming soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I have half a dozen bikes with V2 and V3 EPS, most of which were assembled using ex-demo or pre-owned parts. I would have no hesitation in buying used, subject to all the usual caveats of course.

The only problem I've experienced with EPS since building my first bike with it in 2015 was with a V3 interface which periodically stopped accepting signals from the left shifter. It was bought new and thus replaced under warranty.

The interface unit can be attached under your out-front mount if you have one, or there are several Di2/EPS adapter options for various stems. These both look better than under the stem IMHO.

Miller

by Miller

The EPS mechs are bombproof, I have found. I've bought a few s/h and they've been absolutely fine. I love the EPS shifting.

As to whether it's a good time to buy, that depends on whether you're focussed on value or on being an early adopter. Let's say EPS v4 12sp comes out in 6 months or a year from now, it isn't going to be cheap. Meanwhile there's plenty of new and used 11sp EPS around to be used and enjoyed.

spookyload

by spookyload

There are some tidy solutions for the junction box. I had someone 3D print a headset spacer with a mount for just EPS. I believe he is selling them on Shapeways now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

avispa

by avispa

raisinberry777 wrote:
wilwil wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 am
Yes. CyclingTips reported in the 12-speed announcement article that Campagnolo had said an EPS update is coming soon.
No no... it is actually a great time to buy a good used or on sale V3 group/upgrade kit actually! Campy V3 has been tested, reviewed and used for some time now and there is plenty of information on it almost everywhere. That is not the case with a brand new redesigned group.

1) EPS is not going to be "radically" updated and if it does , you are going to have to wait a while to get a hold of a group or upgrade kit and you will pay a huge premium for the new parts. I remember I had to wait a few months for the V3 interface/battery when they were finally available by themselves. First, you could only get a full group, then an upgarde kit, then the individual parts became available almost 6 months after the group was announced. Just imagine the wait to get new 12 speed chain rings, if those will fit an 11 speed 4-bolt spider!!!

2) As for the interface, yes on V3, the stem is the best area where the interface would be placed; for the most convenient reach when for recharging, etc. The V2 interface was/is a bit smaller and you could put it on other areas of the bike without it being an eye sore. Besides, the power unit is not charged via the interface directly as i is with V3 now.