Sagan's bike at Paris Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

The top 3 had an option of riding discs. I imagined discs would be an advantage especially for P-R and still a lot were on rim brakes.
Were there riders using tubeless?

jlok

by jlok

From the results we can conclude that Specialized bikes are the best. All others are slower.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

jlok wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:00 am
From the results we can conclude that Specialized bikes are the best. All others are slower.
except Factor got second..I can only conclude bikes mades in China/Taiwan are better.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

jlok wrote:From the results we can conclude that Specialized bikes are the best. All others are slower.
Finally... now you’re getting the whole idea behind sponsorship and winning. That is EXACTLY what they want you to conclude. End of class. You seemed surprised. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jlok

by jlok

and 100% glasses are the fastest on cobbles! stick to them mate :)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

And people even question why manufacturers are pushing discs into the peloton. Ha. Well, there’s the reason. It’s certainly not because anyone is asking for them. Because if they were, it would have been a done deal years ago.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jlok

by jlok

and tubulars are winning the races, anything else is inferior! oh wait... they used endurance machines to win races? it's purely marketing!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, now you’re onto it. Sponsorship IS marketing. Well done. Gold star.

RyanH

by RyanH

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 pm
A 65kg rider putting out 5w/kg is faster than a 60kg rider putting out 5w/kg under ALL circumstances.
Wrong.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:20 pm
Tubulars are inferior.
Good Lord, wrong.

Where do you find this stuff on the internet? Did you get a Bikeforum's black belt and have to come over here to show it off?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RyanH wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:23 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 pm
A 65kg rider putting out 5w/kg is faster than a 60kg rider putting out 5w/kg under ALL circumstances.
Wrong.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:20 pm
Tubulars are inferior.
Good Lord, wrong.

I can't tell if you're trolling. I hope you are, but this forum is so delightfully ignorant.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Citation please... I’m still laughing over your requests for citations needed from others. If we asked you for citations, it’s pretty obvious they would be found in the first two Google hits on the topic.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:30 am
Citation please... I’m still laughing over your requests for citations needed from others. If we asked you for citations, it’s pretty obvious they would be found in the first two Google hits on the topic.

GOOGOLE. Find a new meme.

So Calnago, do you think a 65kg cyclist putting out 5w/kg is slower than a 60kg cyclist putting out 5w/kg going down, up or on flat ground? Do you think the best tubulars are faster than the best tubeless clinchers going down, up or on flat ground?

Everyone should weigh in. I want to tally the results!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If there’s a turn in the road, you want to be on a Tubular. If you go completely flat, you can still ride if you have to. Just watching Paris Roubaix right now... I think it’s Stybar they’re showing riding along on a completely flat tire until he can get a replacement. Not going to be doing that on any clincher, tubeless or otherwise. Low pressure, you can ride an equivalently sized tubular at lower pressures than you can any tubeless. Excuse me... Burp. If you want to feel as safe as possible, you’ll be on a Tubular. If you want to ride a TT in a straight line with no regard for handling characteristics, then use a clincher, I don’t care. Have fun.
Oh and you know what else... I didn’t even have to look any of that stuff up.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I instant flatted my IRC Formula Pro Light Tubeless on Deer Creek Rd in Malibu because, well, I believe that series of tire to have a design flaw. The bead stayed in place and I rode out the last 15 miles of Phil's Double Fudge on that tire. This is a pretty common practice on tubeless. If for some reason you cannot repair a flat, the bead lock on the shelf keeps everything in place. My tires also don't burp or snakebite at 40-45psi. Clearly a metric shitload of riders got snakebites in P-R yesterday.

Clearly Campagnolo thinks tubeless is the way forward. They are objectively faster, they have the same level of security when completely flat, and they are more resilient when punctured.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Campagnolo produced a couple of new clincher TT type wheels. Maybe I’ll get one for my TT rig as I sold my 808. Clinchers for that is the way to go. You won’t see them coming down the technical descents in any Grand Tour however. And Tri guys wear funny socks. They’re weird. Is Campagnolo abandoning the tubular Bora 50’s and 35’s?

Oh, and all those things I mentioned in my last post... that’s before we even begin to talk about weight savings and overall comfort.

Now, excuse me while I rewind to watch Dekenkolbs bike throw. Hadn’t seen that before.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com