Ultegra di2 or update 105 with R7000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Most of you are looking at the premium groupsets. However I am perfectly happy with my 105. Unbeatable value for money and, when well maintained, technically spot on.
So now I would like to bring my bike a bit more alive again and bring down the weight. Frame is good and new wheels, seat and seatpost are now in place.
I don’t see any added value in upgrading to Ultegra mech with marginal improvements.
However... looking at Ultegra di2...

Brings me to my dilemma: go for R8050 or wait for clarity on R7000 specs.
Is the “di2” experience really value for money? What would you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

What’s the information you need on R7000?
IMO Di2 is way to go. Every time I test mechanical (or ETAP) I’m just super happy to back on my Di2.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

R7000 specs are up on si.shimano.com, what info are you wanting?

Personally... I'm running a mix of 5800/6800 mechanical with the new FD-5801 (looks to be the same FD as the R7000) on my CX bike, and full 6870 Di2 on my road bike. Money no object, I'd go Di2. I'm seriously contemplating trying to find a deal on a 6870 upgrade group for my CX.

Di2 is no nonsense, no fuss, crisp clean shifting every time. No worries about cable streach, cable shrink/expansion due to temp, fidgeting with barrel adjusters, etc. All you really have to worry about is charging it every 4-6 months and possibly adjusting the rear trim if you switch between wheels a lot.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Boshk

by Boshk

Stay with 105 or switch to di2 ultegra OR mechanical Da R9100 (maybe ultegra cassette) for same price as R8050. I assume your frame is compatible?
You would probably have to replace your bb though since you would need access to your bb area... Placing and wiring your junction box
Remember to add that ew-wu111 component for the Bluetooth/phone app

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Good points brought up by Boshk. If you go Di2 and you have a press fit BB, you might be better off just replacing it. You can run Di2 internally with the BB in place, I've done it, but it's a colossal PITA.

Also, if you're bike isn't designed for Di2, be prepared for some workarounds or to make warranty voiding mods to your frame. I had to cut E-Tube cables and splice them back together in order to wire my Allez Sprint for Di2 without drilling extra holes in the frame.

That being said, if you have a threaded BB or a thread together PF and you're bike is designed to be Di2 complatible, it's pretty easy to get setup.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

RyanH

by RyanH

The new mechanical groups from Shimano are very very good. They're pretty much just a longer throw version of Di2. So, if budget is an issue, IMO it's not worth it. It's like buying an add on for you car that massages you. Great if the extra cost doesn't make a difference to you, but if you're on a budget, probably not worth it.

Ringo

by Ringo

Go for mechanical if you’re on tight budget. The electronic groups can wait for a while, when prices are low and batteries are smaller and better
XXTi
C60

dricked

by dricked

Ringo wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm
Go for mechanical if you’re on tight budget. The electronic groups can wait for a while, when prices are low and batteries are smaller and better
You can get Ultegra 6800 for pretty cheap and how much better do you want from the batteries? They last a few months and are about the size of 2.5 AA batteries.

Di2 gets my vote.

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Would you consider to go for the di2 upgrade kit first?
I wonder if (rim) brake performance of the 105 is still not better then Ultegra anyways..

Boshk

by Boshk

Asscdi wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 pm
Would you consider to go for the di2 upgrade kit first?
I wonder if (rim) brake performance of the 105 is still not better then Ultegra anyways..
Could always swap out the shimano pads for Kool Stop 'Salmon' versions, apparently they are one of the best pads for all weather riding, great in dry and good in wet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com