Best depth (aesthetically) for wheelset on 62cm Domane Disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I’m the owner of a brand new Project One Trek Domane SLR Disc in size 62cm. As you know, this is a non-aero bike with a very tall head tube at 24.5 cm.

My question for the community is: what depth of wheel would go best on this particular bike, the Aeolus xxx 2 or 4? The 2 is 28mm deep and the 4 is 47mm deep.

I ask because my shop is going to replace the Aeolus 3 D3 TLR wheels with the newer one.

I think the size 35 mm depth is Goldilock’s “just right” on this tall head tube, non-aero bike. If you were me, would you go deeper to the deeper 47mm or with the shallower 28mm?

I’m asking about aesthetics because I don’t think the performance differences between 2 vs 4 will make much difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

I'd go deeper - with a frame that sixe I think the 28's would look a little 'under-wheeled'

ak47

by ak47

Indeed the Aeolus 3 looks "just right". But I would go with 47 mm - you're proably not a 60kg climber with that height so crosswinds won't be a problem for you. Higher rims is the way to go in this case.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ak47 wrote:Indeed the Aeolus 3 looks "just right". But I would go with 47 mm - you're proably not a 60kg climber with that height so crosswinds won't be a problem for you. Higher rims is the way to go in this case.
Indeed, I am not! 85 kg and 193 cm. I just don’t think I’d benefit either way from what the 28 mm or 47 mm depths offer. The shallower option saves me 70 grams, but really that’s not a big deal. The 47mm option is the same weight as my 35mm wheelset, so that’s probably another reason to go that way. I just think it’s a little deeper than this bike calls for, which is why I’m asking. But as noted above the 28mm may not be deep enough for this bike.

ak47

by ak47

Performance wise the 47 mm will be perfect for your weight and good for any type of terrain. 47 is closer to 40 than it is closer to 60 or even 55. It will be a good choice and aesthetically better than 28. By the way you have a very friendly LBS :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm presuming the ones in the picture are the 35mm profile? I think they look fine, great in fact, and that would be my preffered size if I only had one wheelset. But if it's between the 47mm and 28mm I'd go with the 47mm. They're not so deep that it's going to really make things too difficult in a twisty descent with crosswinds. And aesthetically... yeah, the 47's, if you're only going to have one set of wheels.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ianeire

by ianeire

That's one hell of a HT. Between the two options, 47 for me also.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Aesthetically I think what will make the biggest difference is to slam that stem. (Fit/stretch allowing of course)

With such a tall head tube you should be able to get away with it.

Then if you choose 38 or 50mm wheels doesn't matter much in comparison to such a huge frame. Anything you put on will look smaller than it is.

Nice bike. A real all life/around the world kind of bike. I'd consider a domane slr h1 when I get over a certain age. :thumbup:

/a

Svetty

by Svetty

The bike is already tall and somewhat spindly in appearance. IMO having the deeper rims would result in a rather confused overall aesthetic. 28mm isn't excessively low and would be in keeping with the rest of the bike.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Svetty wrote:The bike is already tall and somewhat spindly in appearance. IMO having the deeper rims would result in a rather confused overall aesthetic. 28mm isn't excessively low and would be in keeping with the rest of the bike.
I appreciate the counterpoint. I can see your point and it’s valid.

This hasn’t been mentioned, but I think one of the factors I’m up against is with a frame as large and tall as this one is that the 700c wheels are almost too small for the frame. Proportionally, it almost looks like I have 650s on there. Nothing to be done about that other than to just enjoy it.

guyc

by guyc

A good point. That’s why I’d lean towards the deeper rim to give the wheels a larger presence.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... well I've changed my mind and agree with @Svetty's reasoning. It's a comfort bike. If anything, go less deep than what is shown. I know that goes against what I said in my previous post, but that was yesterday. Deeper wheels would just create a gender identification crisis. I'm dealing with that now on a bike... A Pinarello K8-S... (by the way, were the "K's" being used by Team Sky in today's Roubaix... I haven't seen full coverage of it yet). Anyway, this K8-S that I just finished working on had Bora 80's mounted on it. It's just wrong. But he likes deep wheels, and thinks it looks cool, so there ya go. But it's still wrong. :?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Calnago wrote:Ha... well I've changed my mind and agree with @Svetty's reasoning. It's a comfort bike. If anything, go less deep than what is shown. I know that goes against what I said in my previous post, but that was yesterday. Deeper wheels would just create a gender identification crisis. I'm dealing with that now on a bike... A Pinarello K8-S... (by the way, were the "K's" being used by Team Sky in today's Roubaix... I haven't seen full coverage of it yet). Anyway, this K8-S that I just finished working on had Bora 80's mounted on it. It's just wrong. But he likes deep wheels, and thinks it looks cool, so there ya go. But it's still wrong. :?
I can’t imagine using 80s on anything other than a TT bike. But aero is in right now, so lots of people are going for max aero.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ak47 wrote:....By the way you have a very friendly LBS :thumbup:
You can say that again. I have the best shop around, and if this isn’t a good endorsement for buying from your local shop I don’t know what is.

So anyway, I went to the shop today, discussed it with the manager, and we ordered in a pair of Aeolus XXX 2s. In the end there’s not much difference between the two for me in the way I ride. I went with the 2s because I think the more shallow rim will go better with the overall aesthetic of the bike. I agree with @Calnago and those who pointed out that the 4s would look somewhat out of place on this particular bike, with its tall headtube and such.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good call. Keep it light and airy and maneuverable. And looking forward to your thoughts on the new rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com