Best depth (aesthetically) for wheelset on 62cm Domane Disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Calnago wrote:Good call. Keep it light and airy and maneuverable. And looking forward to your thoughts on the new rims.
Will do. It will be 7-10 days for them to come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I don't think you're going to wheel your way into a tidier looking bike. Black brake track/disc rims are the biggest difference, changing the depth doesn't affect the proportion issues you're facing. All you can do is try to make the bike look longer and lower by losing some stem spacers. Work on getting your upper body lower on some rides, then remove a few spacers. If you have back soreness, put them back. Make sure you can use the tops and drops for extended periods. Maybe try a slightly longer stem. Raid your buddy's box-o-stems till you find the right size, then buy one .
You can maybe also try putting on a more open disc rotor. I'd move your 140mms to 160mm and put ram or Campy 2-piece rotors on https://amzn.to/2HnETTw. You'll need spacers on calipers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

jfranci3 wrote:I don't think you're going to wheel your way into a tidier looking bike. Black brake track/disc rims are the biggest difference, changing the depth doesn't affect the proportion issues you're facing. All you can do is try to make the bike look longer and lower by losing some stem spacers. Work on getting your upper body lower on some rides, then remove a few spacers. If you have back soreness, put them back. Make sure you can use the tops and drops for extended periods. Maybe try a slightly longer stem. Raid your buddy's box-o-stems till you find the right size, then buy one .
You can maybe also try putting on a more open disc rotor. I'd move your 140mms to 160mm and put ram or Campy 2-piece rotors on https://amzn.to/2HnETTw. You'll need spacers on calipers
Fair point. I agree that this decision about wheel depth is tinkering on the fringes. The aesthetics of this size frame is what it is.

You and others have pointed out another area that calls out for tinkering: the stem position. I’m working on that but it’s going to take some time before I find a stem and number of spacers that yields a position I want have a long term relationship with. The position shown in the pics is the highest point I would consider, and it’s probably more than I need realistically. But I’ll keep it there for a while just to get the feel of it as a data point in this process. Here’s a pic of the stem slammed. This is a 7 degree stem in the downward position. What do you think?

I plan to at some point also try a 17 degree stem. When the 17 degree stem downward it will be basically horizontal. Not sure whether I’ll like that or not with the sloping top tube. We’ll see ... as soon as I get around to it.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Yeah, even going a few more degrees south on the stem angle would help. Don't go past 0. Otherwise, you could go with a 60cm frame. it has the same reach but 20mm higher stack. That could be offset with https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-wor ... 016-131077 . It'd also put your seat post 19mm more exposed, which would look cooler and would normally ride better in other applications. That's an expensive swap though.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 pm
Yeah, even going a few more degrees south on the stem angle would help. Don't go past 0. Otherwise, you could go with a 60cm frame. it has the same reach but 20mm higher stack. That could be offset with https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-wor ... 016-131077 . It'd also put your seat post 19mm more exposed, which would look cooler and would normally ride better in other applications. That's an expensive swap though.
I'll need to get many more miles in to know for sure, but I think the -7 degree/0 spacers is as low as I'll want to be comfortably. Next step is to get a -17 degree stem and run it with 2 cm of spacers to see how that looks. I'm not sure whether (1) -7 degrees/slammed is better than (2) -17 degrees/2 cm spacers, or vice versa. I'll post some pics up when I get to that point to get your opinions.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I’ve had the XXX wheels for about two weeks now (approx 150 miles on them over 5 or 6 rides). They are stiff and light. Slightly more shallow at 28mm than the TLR 3’s that were replaced. Nice wheelset and I think this depth looks great:

I love the carrera blue color. It looks fantastic and really pops in bright light and subdued in lesser light.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I think with a slammed stem and then the steerer cut it will look fairly proportioned. You could possibly use more classic bars like Deda Shallow 100 (assuming fit is ok). I agree, don’t go below zero degrees with stem. The blue is very nice too. For us tall guys, they ought to consider making some bikes with 750 cc wheels, now that would be interesting!

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

MiddMan wrote:For us tall guys, they ought to consider making some bikes with 750 cc wheels, now that would be interesting!
I couldn’t agree more! I’d love to see a 750cc I think it would look great for us tall guys. I’m old enough to remember when mtn bikes went to 29er wheels and how revolutionary that was for tall guys.

I’m still working out the stem and spacer issues. I’ll need to get a lot more miles in using various configurations before I’m sure when I want to end up, and before I cut that thing.

TLN

by TLN

As someone who got CL64 ony my Allez I'd got with TLR4 wheels.
Regarding stem/spacers I'd go with longer stem and may be compact bars- makes it easier to ride on the drop, and I prefer stretthed position, rather then low. You slam that stem (-10 or -17), cut the steerer and it will be comfortable because of tall HT.
I think with long stem it will look really badass, especially in that color.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Beautiful wheels. :D

If you put on weight or significantly increase your FTP I'd be careful riding though. 100kg+ total weight on weenie wheels is approaching failure going over bad roads or pushing big watts uphill.

My intuition tells me that the rear wheel will go out of true fairly easy. Check it from time to time.

Other than that, enjoy it. The bike deserves to be ridden a lot!

/a

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

alcatraz wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 pm
Beautiful wheels. Image

If you put on weight or significantly increase your FTP I'd be careful riding though. 100kg+ total weight on weenie wheels is approaching failure going over bad roads or pushing big watts uphill.

My intuition tells me that the rear wheel will go out of true fairly easy. Check it from time to time.

Other than that, enjoy it. The bike deserves to be ridden a lot!

/a
I'm not worried about durability at all. While I'm quite positive my FTP will go up substantially riding on this new rig with these sweet wheels (insert: sarcasm), there's no weight limit on these wheels and I trust bontrager to deal with warranty and crash replacement fairly. (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/carbon_care_wheels/) I'm 85 kilos and that's going down to 80, not up. lol.
Last edited by SilentDrone on Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I just mean it doesn't hurt to have some common sense and check from time to time. Blind faith hasn't always proven successful historically. No brand is above the laws of physics. Yada yada.... you get the point. :D

/a

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

alcatraz wrote:I just mean it doesn't hurt to have some common sense and check from time to time. Blind faith hasn't always proven successful historically. No brand is above the laws of physics. Yada yada.... you get the point. :D

/a
Understood. I appreciate your perspective. Hope I wasn’t too snotty.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Jesus, no disrespect but damn! Bikes get ugly the bigger they get. I’ve
Noticed this a lot.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

MyM3Coupe wrote:Jesus, no disrespect but damn! Bikes get ugly the bigger they get. I’ve
Noticed this a lot.
Yep. Quite true, unfortunately. My own (amateur) opinion is that in this size the wheels are too small for the frame, proportionally speaking. But for me i have to go for the function over form. I just can’t make a sexy race bike work with my aging body.

And it does look better in person than it does in pics!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com