buying advice: lbs or canyon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shalant

by shalant

i'm gonna buy a sweet new road bike. i had an expensive fit at the best local shop and they recommended an orbea orca (or a parlee altum). for 4k i can get a top level frame, ultegra, and crap wheels. from canyon i can get an ultimate with wonderful wheels for the same price. the canyon geometry doesn't suit me on paper, but i rode a canyon for 30 miles and 2000ft and it felt pretty damn great.

there are recent mainstream "reviews" that say both the orca and ultimate are both really good bikes.

the question is whether 1000 bucks is worth a relationship with a top end lbs? i'm conflicted.

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

I would never buy a complete bike- too many compromises. Select all the items individually and get the best mechanic you can find to assemble.

moonoi

by moonoi

To be honest it depends on which bike you want more, and will put a smile on your face whenever you ride or look at it.

Don't try to rationalise your choice, a good LBS won't care where you bought the bike, as they can still earn a living from you on servicing/consumables whatever you go with.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sychen

by sychen

Had a similar decision recently.
Went with shop bike after a test ride.
Would of got more for the buck from canyon but didn't want the hassle of limited stem bar choices and dealing with dropship model of sale.

My local shop would of supported it anyway as they are more mechanic focused bike shop so wasn't the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Is it the only LBS around?
Your LBS is probably also biassed when dealing with a limited number of bike brands.
The Canyon bikes are damn good value for money. I suggest that you take some more time: screen more LBS and test more brands. Try to share your dilemma with the other LBS to get their idea. The advantage of buying at the shop is the service afterwards.
BTW Canyon offers a free return and refund option within 30 Days (depending where you are located).

hannawald

by hannawald

what´s the problem with Canyon geometry? How long have you been riding bikes? In my case I went through bike fit couple of times, in 2 years I have probably stretched a bit and I can ride bikes from endurance to aero geometry..there can be 2cm difference in geometry..so I wouldn´t exxagerate the results of bike fit, people can usually fit many bikes:) on the other hand 30 miles is probably not enough to tell..though initial feeling is important..

In my view Ultimate SLX is better bike than Orca, aero shaped tubes, 820g for disc bike, nice integration, it is a fantastic looking bike in electric blue colour. they usually have discounts during grand tours.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

It's a good test for the lbs: speak with him, say your are hesitant and would like more the Canyon. If he say "yes, buy the one you prefere, we are still here to help you with this new bike whatever it come", you find a very good guy :)

Boshk

by Boshk

shalant wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:01 am
i'm gonna buy a sweet new road bike. i had an expensive fit at the best local shop and they recommended an orbea orca (or a parlee altum). for 4k i can get a top level frame, ultegra, and crap wheels. from canyon i can get an ultimate with wonderful wheels for the same price. the canyon geometry doesn't suit me on paper, but i rode a canyon for 30 miles and 2000ft and it felt pretty damn great.

there are recent mainstream "reviews" that say both the orca and ultimate are both really good bikes.

the question is whether 1000 bucks is worth a relationship with a top end lbs? i'm conflicted.

thanks
As above, ask yourself....
Does the Orbea or Parlee appeal to you?....xxxx...I wanna go for a ride NOW!
Did the Canyon do the above?

If you prefer Canyon or another brand AND you want to use your LBS.....you could always get a frameset only and get the Ultegra and Wheels from your LBS....
best of both worlds......you get exactly what you want in terms of frame, wheels, components......the shop makes profit although not as much as full bike....but you do pay them labour fee for installation

and for $4000US, you can buy an extremely nice bike....Canyon, Colnago, Look, Giant, Pinarello (not F8/10),

tomycs

by tomycs

As others have said, choose the bike that looks best to you. I wouldn't worry too much abt. groupset or wheels. In time you'll fit the frame with the best you can afford/need (groupset, wheels, handlebars, saddle, stem etc).

Seedster

by Seedster

there has been some great advice above. I do a lot of part hunting online and love getting a good deal. In your case, I would consider going through a local shop for the right frame. As others have underscored, grabbing the frame that tugs on your heartstrings is most important because you're more likely to ride it.

I am not 100% sold on the canyon business model as I personally like a physical place to deal with when it comes to inevitable little issues that come up with any frame. grab the frame locally, and find deals on parts that will get you back down to a desirable spend. The LBS will appreciate the business and likely be happier to build up the bike with the some discount.
Last edited by Seedster on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

eric01

by eric01

Why do you say the canyon geometry doesn’t work for you? What did your fitting session recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwhit

by gwhit

I had the same dilemma but went with the Canyon - absolutely no regrets, it's awesome value for money and goes like the clappers.
Took it into the lbs to get some advice on the discs: they were too busy frothing over the bike to care that I hadn't bought it from them :D