Installing new Campagnolo 11-speed chain with KMC Missing Link - need help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fogman wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:57 am
I have used the KMC Missing Link in the past with no issues. I have since purchased the Campagnolo 11 speed chain tool and now pin and peen my chain. I like to change my chain frequently (~every 1200 miles) so as not to wear out my cassette prematurely.

Slightly off topic: I use an 11 speed Record chain with Chorus cassette. Everything else is Super Record mechanical. Has anyone tried the Chorus chain with this set up? I was thinking a Chorus chain might last a little longer.
Chorus cassettes cost $135.
Record chains cost $50.
Chorus chains cost $40.

Well lubed chains should last >4x as long as you're using them for, so you're wasting money.

I suspect the only difference between the Record and Chorus chain is the use of hollow pins. This has no effect on chain wear.

Dananton485

by Dananton485

Never had a problem with KMC quick links on either 10s or 11s Campagnolo Record chains. They run very smooth and are available at all the local bike shops. You can use a standard Park chain tool to break both the 10s and 11s chains. By using the KMC quick link you avoid having to buy a specific 11s Campy tool and you can take you chain off for maintenance anytime you want.

The critical factor is to get the right chain length. I put the chain in both the small small and big big combos first to see if my chain length will work. I use a small Allen key to temporarily hold the links together before I break the chain. I use a 53/39 and 11/29 with a short cage 11s rear derailleur and can use all of my gears without issues. However, I will note that on my previous 10s setup with a 10s rear derailleur that it didn't like a rear cassette larger than a 27. Not sure why but the 11s rear derailleur seems t handle larger cogs better. I have an early 2009 short cage record 11s rear derailleur and just put on the 11/29. I'm pretty sure it could handle a 32 too but it probably wuoind not work as well as the 11/29

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dananton485

by Dananton485

Never had a problem with KMC quick links on either 10s or 11s Campagnolo Record chains. They run very smooth and are available at all the local bike shops. You can use a standard Park chain tool to break both the 10s and 11s chains. By using the KMC quick link you avoid having to buy a specific 11s Campy tool and you can take you chain off for maintenance anytime you want.

The critical factor is to get the right chain length. I put the chain in both the small small and big big combos first to see if my chain length will work. I use a small Allen key to temporarily hold the links together before I break the chain. I use a 53/39 and 11/29 with a short cage 11s rear derailleur and can use all of my gears without issues. However, I will note that on my previous 10s setup with a 10s rear derailleur that it didn't like a rear cassette larger than a 27. Not sure why but the 11s rear derailleur seems t handle larger cogs better. I have an early 2009 short cage record 11s rear derailleur and just put on the 11/29. I'm pretty sure it could handle a 32 too but it probably wuoind not work as well as the 11/29